Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Dimmer 2 toggle and dim one light with two pulse buttons

loekcanisius

Question

i have recently purchased the dimmer 2 module.

I have found lots of articles however this one is never mentioned.

Here is my scenario:

i am currently renovating my house and want to use fibaro HC2 (owned already).

I am currently pulling the power cables in the entire house.,However i want to use a dimmer and to the dimmer attached I want 2 pulse switches. With both pulse switches (both on another floor) i wan to to power on or off or dim the light (hotel schakeling.

I am searching for a drawing of this specific scenario. I hope someone has set it up and can deliver me the approriate drawings.

thanks.

17 answers to this question

• Inquirer
  • I have found the absolute solution. Thanks for all your information.

I have created the scenario from the beginning.  

1. Build the scenario from scratch without implementing a module of fibaro. When i builded it I was suprised. The light was always on and when i pushed the button ot the monostable switch the light went off. So that's the moment that i knew something was wrong. So i started switching the cables and my conclusion is that I connected the momentary switch wrongly. i switched the cable until it works. When i push the momentary button I  manage the light to be dim/on/off.

The scenario is attached to this reply as an image named: standard_switch_without_fibaro. in the image you will see my mistake. It is the 3d output of the monostable switch which i needed to connect to make it work.

2. Now everything is attached place the fibaro module back into the scenario. And IT IS WORKING!!!! Now it is working as described in PARALLEL.

I have made a second image named: Working_Fibaro_Dimmer_2_2_monostable_1_lamp

The mistake was that i used the wrong output of the monostable switches.

Guys I want to thank you for your help. 

Please login or register to see this attachment.

I understand you mean monostable buttons.

You may have infinite number of monostable buttons connected parallel to have option to switch on , off or dimm from any of the connected switches.

• Inquirer
  • i have made a drawing of how it is now connected. in the drawing i have used las wagos to connect the wires. These are displayed as a rectangle.

It will work with monostable switches.

You may consider to attach the Bypass to be connected parallel to the light (connect to blue and brown wires leading to the light). It may be connected either at the light locaton or at the dimmer location.

If you have any doubts you may build a test circuit on the bench using the WAGO connectors.

• Inquirer
  • I only doubt with the wiring if i use the momentary switch i do not need to connect the switches to each other. like this (see attachment). Or doesn't it make a difference? what do you think gucio1234?

I am currently using a test bord where i put al the components together.

Your second drawing is not clear for me. Why there are three wires for switch #1 ?

I had no doubts to first picture you shared.

You have two monostable switches each has two wires (wire 1 and wire 2).

You connect wire 1 of the first switch with wire 1 of the second switch and to the dimmer

You connect wire 2 of the first switch with wire 2 of the second switch and to the dimmer.

• Inquirer
  • i have done so as you requested. However one switch doesn't respond. The other one is working now. I need to switches to so do you have another suggestion?

• Inquirer
  • Finally. I have got it working!!!!!!!

I have tested the wires by switching them and alle worked just fine. I also did the same with the switches.
    The problem is that it will not work with parallel switching. I have found that if you connect them as you have described:

You connect wire 1 of the first switch with wire 1 of the second switch and to the dimmer
    You connect wire 2 of the first switch with wire 2 of the second switch and to the dimmer.

it will work BUT you have to push both buttons at the same time. Now are my arms a little short to do that when switch one is on the ground floor and switch two on the first so it isn't a option [

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />] .

So i have switched al lot of cables and i have got it finally working. The succefull approach is attached as an image so that nobody has to search for it anymore [

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />]

Both switches have one cable which goes to a las wago. Switch 1 brown (Live) from port Sx. Switch 2 blue (neutral) from port . Now comes the part which is in my opnion not good described in the manuals of fibaro.  BETWEEN Switch 1 and Switch 2 there is a black wire. I do use monostable (/puls) switches of the brand Busch Jaeger.

I want to really thank you gucio1234 for your support. It helped me a lot to pinpoint and isolate the problem.

The implemented solution did work however it is not recommended.

Guest SPyRoX

When i look at the last image i think it still isn't gonna workg cause you have to push both momentary switches to turn on the dimmer

if you want as we call it in dutch "hotel schakeling" then you need other switches.

See my attachment from Robbshop

Guest SPyRoX

Oh wait you use a dimmer.

Then you need to wire it as your first attachment then it must work with momentary switches

Yes. I believe it should work with the diagram as of the first attachment.

Dimmer 2 should have parameter 20 set to 0 for monostable switches (which is the default value).

Machoman13,

Your last diagram looks that you connected your switches in serial way. Maybe your connection is in the way that the contacts are closed when you do not press the switch and they are open when you press the switch.

It should be that contacts are open when the switch is not pressed and they are closed when the switch is pressed.

Make sure that it is in this way and then rewire it according to last diagram I posted which is taken from the FIBARO manual of Dimmer 2.

Busch-Jaeger sells push buttons with THREE terminals. Like:

Please login or register to see this link.

I think it would explain things. I have NIKO momentary switch inserts, and they have three terminals too.

Do your switches have three terminals? What are the markings? I expect them to be something like "COM", "NO, "NC" meaning "common", "normally open", "normally closed". Or some numbers. I can't tell because the data sheet does not seem to contain any indication and after searching for half an hour I gave up. The circuit diagrams in the FGD-212 manual (and posted everywhere else) assume you use "COM" and "NO". Your wiring diagram in post #9 suggests that you are using top and bottom left terminals. It might be that it has to be top and bottom right. In my case, the NIKO switches use L1 for COM, 1 (one) for NO and 1' (one accent) for NC. So I use L1 and 1 (one). If I would use L1 and 1' (one accent) then I'd get what you describe. If this doesn't help, a photograph of the top and the bottom of the switch might help. BTW you are NOT using any indicator (LED, NEON) on your switch? They would have to be removed.

• Inquirer
  • Guys ,

I have tried the option how robbshop is saying.

I have changed no paramters yet so the dimmer 2 module is standard configured.

I have uploaded the description of robbshop. And in its description in Dutch it describes that it is NECESSARY to add a cable between switch 1 and switch 2. Which i have done to get it working. The parrallel solution doesn't work with the momentary switches. Because BOTH switches buttons need to be pushed to switch the light on or off.

In that diagram, the left part shows bistable switches, the right monostable. So, what do you have? They mention the cable because it may be necessary to change wiring if you are changing the switch type. But since post 1 you keep saying push buttons (monostable), right? I use the parallel option all the time! So there has to be some misunderstanding between us. When you find the time, would it be possible to check out the information in my previous post? I can't think of anything else.