Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Dimmer 2 overcurrent problem

treboR

Question

Hello,

I'm having a strange problem with multiple dimmer 2 modules.

When ever I connect a laptop charger ( of vacuum cleaner ) the modules will shut off and report overcurrent. After 5 seconds the light turns on again.

one of them has one Osram 30 - 105w transformer connected with 2 35w halogen spots behind it. So the load isn't the issue. The electric system is brand new ( new home ) and the modules are connected with 3 wires.

I've tried using a dimmer 2 bypass to maybe filter the "overcurrent" but that also does not work. This is pretty annoying since I have 40 of these in the house now. Would be a shame if this is normal..

Thanks in advance,

Robert

We'll see, I'm very curious.....

If they will update them they will get another 18 dimmer 2's to update

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_wink.png" alt=";)" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I am both curious and excited... Curious cause I was wondering if the hidden over-air update was for this dimmer 2 module, excited cause if it is, there is potential to fix a few Fibaro modules without requiring to send back (esp. warranty expired as they took >a year to have a fix).

In the meanwhile, I am testing some minor parameters tweak which seems to work over last few days and the issues I face have not re-surface. Fingers crossed. If it works out well, I will post the parameters to tweak and see if they work out for you all.

• Inquirer
  • Thanks for the update TRicky.. And now we wait

/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hi All,

Today I received my 2 Dimmer's 2 back again after checking them @ Fibaro.

The report they sent with them say's:

1th module: Damaged PCB. Replaced by the new.

2th module: Software problem. Reprogrammed.

The replacement Dimmer but also the reprogrammed one are on firmware 3.4 (Fibaro even replaced the product sticker on the reprogrammed Dimmer!!!! Great job Guy's)

In the coming time I'll put them back in my system and see what's changed.

Cheers

I have V3.4 and no more overcurrent problem!

/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

• Inquirer
  • Very good news guys, thanks. Going to file a ticket at FIbaro.

For those with firmware 3.3 and before, here is a workaround I have tested and seems to work ok (no more auto-switch off and on for 1-3 seconds when other lights in same circuit is switch on)

Parameter 4: set to 0.1 - 0.3 seconds (I am using 0.1 seconds and works ok)
    Parameter 6: st to 0.03 seconds
    Parameter 2 and 3: Set to same %

For those with firmware 3.3 and before, here is a workaround I have tested and seems to work ok (no more auto-switch off and on for 1-3 seconds when other lights in same circuit is switch on)

Parameter 4: set to 0.1 - 0.3 seconds (I am using 0.1 seconds and works ok)

Parameter 6: st to 0.03 seconds

Parameter 2 and 3: Set to same %

Interesting.... gonna try it today!

Tried it today.....

First

Param 4 = 0.1

Param 6 = 0.3

Param 2 & 3 both at: 99%

Result no change

Second

Param 4 = 0.3

Param 6 = 0.3

Param 2 & 3 both at: 99%

Result was very interesting....

When starting another appliance on the same phase the lights went off.

But normally they come back on after a few seconds but now I had to push the switch and the lights came on and then went off after a few seconds 

/emoticons/default_icon_eek.gif" alt=":shock:" />

Very, very strange but a proof that changing these parameters do have influence! Let's try some other combinations now.......

To be continued!

BTW: This was tested on a Dimmer 2 version 3.2

Now I exchanged the Dimmer 2 Version 3.2 with the Dimmer 2 Version 3.4 and it works flawlessly!

Conclusion: The Dimmer 2 Version 3.4 has no problems like the previous versions.

I'm wondering if Fibaro will allow to have me sent back all of my Dimmer 2 Version 3.2 (14 pieces) to have them re-programmed?

On the other hand I would have some big inconveniences during the RMA time. Dark times

/emoticons/default_wink.png" alt=";)" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Yes, my 3.4 on my test bench works almost flawlessly too (halotronic + 20 W halogen bulb), I see a small blink, but I think that is the halotronic transformer., I didn't have a problem with my LED bulb to begin with, so the new version cnn't improve that.

/emoticons/default_icon_smile.gif" alt=":-)" /> I don't know if they allow you to send all dimmers, but the device is firmware upgradeable (over the air). Unfortunately, Fibaro hasn't published a date for the release of the firmware update function on the HC2, but they are working on it. Can be weeks, can be months, I don't know. And if I knew, I probably wasn't allowed to tell you.

/emoticons/default_icon_smile.gif" alt=":-)" /> But if you can hold on, I'd try to live with this problem. Of course, like I have said many times, the guys at Fibare or really nice, so, I'd suggest you ask them what to do next...

/emoticons/default_icon_smile.gif" alt=":-)" />

• Inquirer
  • I would have patience if they have some kind of ETA for this

/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Still waiting for their reply.

• Inquirer
  • I've contacted Fibaro and they are working on the over the air firmware update which should be there in a the upcoming weeks!

Good times!

Good news indeed!

Thanks for sharing,

JBP

Well "one of the upcoming weeks" is fibaro language for "we are contentplating the issue" the actual fix may come sometimes this year, but that is still better than "will soon be released" - that is fibaro for "won't happened"

Just gotten a replacement with firmware 3.4 and after a night of usage, this revised dimmer 2 no longer exhibit the issue I had.

Will monitor for a week to see any re-occurrence or new abnormality surfaces.

same problem here,

is the new firmware 3.4 already released?

and does it automaticaly update my dimmer or do i have to update them (how?)

All new dimmers should be v3.4. 

Dimmer is able to update firmware over z-wave yes, but its not available in HC2 yet. But I hope this will be implemented in next stable software.

For those with Dimmer 2 v3.3 and earlier facing similar problems as shared in this thread or forum, you may want to consider speaking to your supplier to exchange for Dimmer 2 v3.4 as it is a vast improvement and resolve those weird issues shared by many in this forum.

Dimmer 2 supports OTA firmware update but as Lauri shared, the OTA firmware update function is not available yet and no timeline when it will be.