Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Dimmer 2 overcurrent problem

treboR

Question

Hello,

I'm having a strange problem with multiple dimmer 2 modules.

When ever I connect a laptop charger ( of vacuum cleaner ) the modules will shut off and report overcurrent. After 5 seconds the light turns on again.

one of them has one Osram 30 - 105w transformer connected with 2 35w halogen spots behind it. So the load isn't the issue. The electric system is brand new ( new home ) and the modules are connected with 3 wires.

I've tried using a dimmer 2 bypass to maybe filter the "overcurrent" but that also does not work. This is pretty annoying since I have 40 of these in the house now. Would be a shame if this is normal..

Thanks in advance,

Robert

Can you see on the Box if it's 3.4?

Yes, it's on the box. Got one with production date 04-04-2016 mentioning 3.4.

Great! All mine were from 2015 and with V3/3... 

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_confused.gif" alt=":-?" />

Great! All mine were from 2015 and with V3/3... 

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_confused.gif" alt=":-?" />

Same here, except for the last one

Personally, if you don't experience any of the specific problems mentioned on the forum, I wouldn't go to the trouble of removing and exchanging the dimmer. The firmware upgrade exists and is completely "over the air". No buttons to press (except on your HC web interface). It just has not been released yet by Fibaro. Known issues solved (compared with first production release 3.2): (1) dimmer switches off after 1 second in case you have a second switch several meters from the first one (so "long running wires to S1") and (2) dimmer switches off for about 1 second when you plug in a certain load (typically a laptop power supply or a vacuum cleaner (and switches on again without user intervention), while your installation meets some other conditions. Not everybody has , it affects less than 1% of all installations. But that's my personal opinion...

Then it's fair to say strange that is cousing problems for me with 10 out of 25 dimmers.

Still using the old dimmer here and then couses no problem.

Then it's fair to say strange that is cousing problems for me with 10 out of 25 dimmers.

Still using the old dimmer here and then couses no problem.

I'm sorry to hear that and I am sorry that my information was wrong. Indeed, the overcurrent seems to affect "an installation", so many dimmers at one house are affected. Your information confirms that. I knew that but my post did not say that. It probably has to do with some property of the electrical supply, but I can't see a pattern to it. I am by no means saying your problem is trivial. I apologize for posting incorrect information. I've corrected the original post.

I guess my biggest problem are that the most of my switches are 3 or 4 racks. So each rack can contain up to 4 dimmers/switches cousing them to interfear with eachother. Eg. In the bathroom, One rack with One switch and one dimmer, then the dimmer will get problems.

I guess my biggest problem are that the most of my switches are 3 or 4 racks. So each rack can contain up to 4 dimmers/switches cousing them to interfear with eachother. Eg. In the bathroom, One rack with One switch and one dimmer, then the dimmer will get problems.

Fibaro modules being in close proximity of each other should not be interfering with each other. I have 3 or 4 modules (Relay 1x3kW, Relay 2x1.5kW and Dimmer 2) inside a dual wall socket compartment (closed up with a blank cover) for the 2 x 3 gang of light switches for living room. And these are 5 or more meters away from Home Center 2 crossing 1 concrete wall and 1 cabinet wooden door. Oh, I haven't mention the wiring mess within the dual-wall socket compartment (wish I had taken a photo but it is such a mess that I do not wish to open up as it took a lot of pain to sort and squeeze them in).

I believe the essential is not for the modules' antenna to be touching each other.

the dimmer update to 3.4 is now available en can be updated with the new HC2 4.090. It works fine for me. No overcurrent problem anymore. @Fibaro Good job!