Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Heatit Z-Wave Thermostat with underfloor water heating system

janton

Question

Hello folks

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Does anybody use Heatit Z-Wave Thermostat with underfloor water heating system ?

Any experience at all ?

I contacted the manufacturer and they said that it should work also with underfloor water heating systems, but they do not have any experince with those ones...

Please login or register to see this attachment.

16 answers to this question

After a week of a very very very warm living room, i was able to set up the heatit.

We have a floor heating system that uses water. i dont know exactly what you meant with "underfloor water heating systems"

kind regards

Stefan

personally I use it since September 2015 - and I am very happy.

Configuration It took me two weeks but it works flawlessly.

Hi, I'Andrea and I'm new in this forum.

I bought the heatit two weeks ago. inclusion was easy in HomeCenter2 4.080.

I can see a temperature sensor, a second device I can use to switch between "off", "cool", "heat" and "energy safe heat".

I don't understand the difference between "heat" and "energy safe heat".

I have also another device in HC2 to set the temperature, and also to switch between "heating", "cooling" and "energy safe heating".

I don't understand why there are two switches with the same values.

Finally I have a question concerning cable connection: I have powered the device (L and N cables) and now I want to connect the Heatit to the thermostat valve (water floor). I have only one cable in the wall case, that is connected to my thermostat valve. I have to connect it to the "pilot wire" slot, or to the "heating L" slot?

Thanks for your help

Did you Find out the Solution? This thermostat is on my shortlist as Well to Control the nefit hrc 30

I bought 3 thermostats 7,6,1 months ago (firmware version 1.4,1.5,1.8). 
Connected to my floor heating system as following:

HEATING (L) - Heating cable connection (Live) - is on the black cable.
N - Power connection (Neutral) 230V Power - is on the blue.
L  - Power connection (Live) 230V - is on the brown.

Version 1.4, 1.5 shows the room temperature in the display. 
1.4 difference >5 kelvin, calibration max is +/- 4
1.5 difference -1 kelvin

1.8 shows the setpoint temperature in the display, internal temperature sensor ist disabled.

@[email protected] >> I don't understand the difference between "heat" and "energy safe heat". <<
Are 2 setpoints to switch temperatur on thermostat directly   

Edited by anemchto

Hi Anemchto,

I have connected and understood how to configure and use these Heatit thermostats (one in version 1.5 and two in version 1.8).

If you want to upgrade all your thermostats to last version (1.8) you have to buy a cable and follow a procedure you can ask to Heatit. Or you can ask if your z-wave shop could do this for you.

The cable costs more or less 60-70€.

The difference in temperature you wrote, is the reason I decided to return all my Heatit Thermostats to the vendor.

If you use the internal sensor the difference is greater than you use an external temperature sensor because the energy power to 230v warms the device. This is the reason Heatit disabled the internal sensor in firmware 1.8.

If you want to use an external sensor you have to buy it.

I also tried to use the 3mt cable supplied with the thermostat in order to verify that, using this, the temperature shown by the display is correct. Unfortunately not.

As you wrote, in version 1.8 the display shows the temperature of the setpoint, instead of the temperature got by the sensor. I don't want to remember for each thermostat what's the temperature shown.

Now I'm looking for another z.wave company who produces thermostats more reliable than this.

Hi Andrea,

i bought external 10k sensors (

Please login or register to see this link.

) this week 

and "wow" all works well.
These parts I know from pc, are cheap ( 3 piece : 10,33 EUR ), very small and working correctly ( in A2 modus ).
Tomorrow I will know more about working with the heating plan.

Edited by anemchto

Hi Anemchto,

nice to ear that you have found a solution.

Probably your external sensors are more reliable and accurate than the original cable in the HeatIt package.

Concerning the firmware version, you have decided to upgrade to the latest version?

On 28.11.2016 at 6:09 PM, [email protected] said:

Concerning the firmware version, you have decided to upgrade to the latest version?

No, all thermostats works perfectly now.

I had significant problems with fw 1.8.

Discription by HeatIt:

FACTORY RESET - RES
By pressing buttons Right and Center (down and confirm) for 20 
seconds, the thermostat will perform a complete factory reset.
NB! Please use this procedure only when the primary controller/
gateway is missing or otherwise inoperable.

I did that.
Thermostat was inoperable and lost his connection constantly.
IMHO, fw 1.8 is crap.
Remark : after factory reset display "r1.7" is shown.

Edited by anemchto

Hi guys,

Can you please describe how do you use the HeatIT thermostat to control an underfloor electric heating system? What i mean is can you explain how it works? When you set the desired temp, the new HeatIT v.1.8 will follow only the underfloor sensor's readings and turn on/off the heating elements but what happens if the tempreature drops very fast like 6 or less minutes? What is its life spam - 100 000 cycles?

And what about the old HeatIT versions before 1.8 on which you can use the room temp? if it is used for under wood floor electric heating system how the thermostat works? I mean, if you want the room temp to be lets say 22, the floor heating can go up to 40 or even more and in that case can it start a fire? 

What is your installation and setup? Please share.

Guest FredrikKarlsson

Hi,

I got three of them working with under floor heating and they work great. Like you say, there are a couple of things to consider though. I would not use the heating panel for managing these thermostats, if what is managed is room temperature. Even if I did use an external room sensor for the thermostat, and the reason is similar to what you describe. Even if you don't have wood above it, if what you want to control is the heat coming into your feet, which is the nice thing about underfloor heating, then I think you really should also control the heat at floor level directly. That is, not indirectly through measuring the heat in air and then trying to make out how much the heat at floor level should be increased to reach the desired in air temperature.

I have separate r rooms with underfloor heating (two bathrooms and a hallway, all with tiled floors). Actually, I don't use the heating panel at all for these, as these are very slow systems.

It does not make sense, for me, to turn temperature down a bit for a couple of hours, as it will then take much energy to get heat back again when needed (and quite some time too). Instead, I use the remote setting capability for when I am away for a longer time. You can turn it down to not waste heat while away, but then still come home to a nice and warm hallway. I have thought about trying to set up scenes for switching between "Heat" and "Energy save heat" throughout the day, but I have to make sure I understand what the difference is first. So far I have not gone into that.

Hi,

Few months ago I have bought 2 x Heatit for bathrooms floor heating. Main reason is just to keep floor warm during morning and evening use.

Since I have only 1-2 weeks till all tiles are put and there are many posts regarding internal temp sensor problems would like to ask few questions.

1. Is it better to use Fibaro Heating Panel or create own scene?

If scene, can somebody share good ones? What commands should it send to module?

2. Each bathroom has its own motion sensor with temperature read. Do I have to put additional cable and buy external temperature sensor for Heatit or not needed in my case?

3. Right now I don`t know yet what firmware version do I have. Is it recommended to upgrade firmware somehow? Is the only way buying USB cable from Heatit?

4. In my case it is concrete -> warmup heating mat -> ceramic tile. Having in ming energy used for heating it do you recommend to keep it heated during whole day (assuming someone is always at home) or only heat it twice a day? Whole day I mean morning set temp X, keep it X-3 whole day and back to X for evening use.

Thanks for all suggestions!

Use floor sensor to thermostat, then fit fibaro over the top so you have a back up. Any issues with Fibaro everything still works.

Here u/t installers oftern fit second sensor in with tile as back up, they are cheap.

Sounds like scene forthis best way to go.

1. Anyone tried the version 1.8 firmware for the Multireg / HeatIt thermostat from Thermo-Floor ?

In the Zipato forum, one member is talking about power metering in the new firmware. Take a look here: 

Please login or register to see this link.

2. Also, is there any difference in the behavior of the thermostat with more updated firmware?

I've been using FW 1.7 for a few weeks (I have 11 thermostats) , and still have problems understanding the "configuration" of the thermostat. I use only F sensor in my setup (the floor sensor included in the box)

Most of my floors are parkette (wooden floor), and my 2 bathrooms and hall, are tiles on concrete).

(Possible wrong in FW 1.7: It says in the manual, when using only F-sensor, the max temp is set to 27ºC. When I check this, the temp is set to "up to 40ºC" (this will destroy wooden floors!!!). )

OK, so here's my problem:

When I push the center touch button on the thermostat display, and then the left button (or right), it displays the SetPoint (21ºC in Comfort mode). After a few seconds the display is dimmed, and then a temperature is shown ; 20.5ºC. (I think this is the actually temperatur down in the floor (floor sensor))

This temperature is lower than the actually room temperature. So I've adjusted the "Temp-sensor" in HC2 control panel" up a few degrees (3ºC) so that it corresponds with the actual room temperatur. But the temperature shown on the "Temp-icon" in my browser, and in the "rooms section" is not identical to the display on the thermometer.

The display on the thermostat shows 20.5ºC  (I think this is the actually temperature, because it varies)

- Anyone with similar problems?

- Should I use both room and floor sensor (AF sensor) for better controlling temperature? Tip on how to setup??

regards Gorm

@gormnass : You should use the thermostat in AF mode if you have underflow heating (water or electric) and the underfloor sensor is correctly installed and wired into the HeatIt thermostat. 

I have two units with FW 1.4 and using them like this with no problems.

When in AF mode (FW1.4 to 1.7) the wall thermostat will display the air-room temperature on the screen and to check the desire set temperature you have to touch any of the two arrows.

In this AF mode the thermostat and will keep the underfloow water-pump working until the measured air-room temperature is at the desire level you have set. The thermostat will know to automatically close the underfloor water-pump if the floor temperature is reaching 27 degree to prevent the natural wood parquet to be damaged. You have the option from the Heatit thermostat menu to adjust this max floor temperature to a lower temp but you cannot go over 27 degree. I set mine to 26 degree max just to be sure. I don't know why on Fibaro gateway the max underfloor is shown as 40 degree but I assume the Heatit thermostat will consider the value set directly into the device and not the Fibaro parameter. However for safety I recommend to set also in the Fibaro menu the parameter 6 "FHi, Floor max limit" to 27 degree or lower.

About your question with two different temperatures displayed on the HeatIt thermostat and Fibaro: it's normal if you have selected only the F mode. Because it "F" mode the Heatit thermostat will show on it's display the actual temperature on the Floor measured by the underfloor sensor and not the room temperature. In the Fibaro webinterface it will always show the Room temperature in the dedicated widget no mater if the Heatit thermostat is set in F / AF / A ... so for this reason you have seen different temperatures between wall Heatit thermostat and Fibaro Heatit thermostat web display. 

The small temperature indicator below the thermostat picture in the web interface is the targeted temp you have set to be and not the actual room temperature. 

Hope this clarify you.