Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

How often does your HC connect to Google? About 5000 times / hour!

speedy

Nice reading over a cup of coffee (though it should be beer but alone sure doesn't taste as good)...

Well if anyone needs to block the Fibaro HC2 in the router, and I guess this goes for most of them, at least ASUSWRT (Rmerlin firmware):

Change x.x.x.x to your HC2 IP address:

Please login or register to see this code.

• Topic Author
  • @speedy off topic: do you like the iBeacons?

Well, i like them a lot.

But its more of an experiment to see what i can use them for.

I find that a VD with custom timers is a must as the beacons loose the connection to the phone sometimes and then things happen even though they shouldn't.

I find that using ex Geofency and setting a GPS parameter around my house that controls on / off when no-one is home is far superior to beacons.

But i use beacons with HC2 for some fun stuff.

In the car.

When i leave the car i get a push message saying "Did you lock your car?"

I then also get GPS positioning with Geofency if i forget where i parked

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_smile.gif" alt=":-)" />

At home

I have 1 beacon in the office.

Using a Nodon switch i use them to control different rooms with the same Nodon switch depending on where my phone is.

So if I'm in the office it controls the office lights and scenes. (connected to the office beacon)

If I'm in the living room it controls the TV volume and lights. (no connection to the office beacon)

I also have a "home" beacon to control the lights but sometimes it loses the connection to the beacon and turns of stuff.

And sometimes it was not as quick in finding my phone when i opened my front door so there was a delay in turning on lights.

With GPS and Geofency it works 100% of the time, and its nice to see your house turn on the lights 50m from the front door

/emoticons/default_icon_smile.gif" alt=":-)" />

Or turn them off when i leave.

So beacon are cool with a lot of potential but needs special "care" to work just right for me.

• Topic Author
  • BTW can't you block this traffic on your firewall/router, and wouldn't that make you happy? 

I don't want to or have to, i want choice.

And my router (airport extreme AC) is not manageable in that way. (Its not very extreme 

/emoticons/default_icon_smile.gif" alt=":-)" />  but its a rock solid wireless router for me)

Im used to systems where you are in 100% complete control of what the system does (CUE, IHC etc) and if i don't choose to it doesn't do it.

So my issue is just that, choice.

I want to control everything that this box inside my network does regarding outside connections with different settings under the "network" tab.

I don't want to control everything else (to much work and complicated)

I really appreciate the ease of use with the Fibaro system and have installed 20 systems now without the problems that some others have.

(Please, i understad that some have problems but i don't, so I'm not interested in learning about your specific issue 

/emoticons/default_icon_biggrin.gif" alt=":-D" /> )

I think this is the best system om the market today regarding ease of use, price, expandability and products.

So this is really a thing i think would improve the value of the system for me so thats why i raised the question in the first place.

I wanted to know what Google analytics does in the box and in that process i found this but i really want a more features with more choice.

Fibaro, for the 3rd time, enlighten us pls. I believe it is a fair question to ask...

• 2 weeks later...

I have stoped my HC2 to be able to connect to internet (iptables command above) - since I am only on 3.600, I did not expect so much, however I seem to see a bit quicker response from my HC2 now that it can not connect to internet (it can connect to my intranet, and I use my own ntp server). Strange...

• 3 months later...

Hello,

To make this topic clear and that there is not misunderstanding.

All the request to Google mentioned by @speedy are effects of users doings in Web UI. User generates requests sent to Google when using our Web UI. These requests includes data for statistics and the data is anonymous. Every users agrees to this when accepting the Terms of Use. Moreover, the gateway checks Internet connection by connecting to Google so these requests are also included in statistics.

We are sorry that you feel that this is too much. FIBARO team has been informed about the case and your opinion. I cannot tell if and when this will change, but the change is not possible within the current system's version.

Hello,

All the request to Google mentioned by @speedy are effects of users doings in Web UI. User generates requests sent to Google when using our Web UI. These requests includes data for statistics and the data is anonymous. Every users agrees to this when accepting the Terms of Use. Moreover, the gateway checks Internet connection by connecting to Google so these requests are also included in statistics.

We are sorry that you feel that this is too much. FIBARO team has been informed about the case and your opinion. I cannot tell if and when this will change, but the change is not possible within the current system's version.

WTF!?

As I mentioned a lot of times, I don't want my data send to Google. Period! Not even anonymously!

/emoticons/default_icon_evil.gif" alt=":evil:" />

Please login or register to see this link.

As an privacy concerned user I want to have a opt-in/out option, declared by the Fibaro HC2, to block (or allow) my data send to an 3rd party (in this case Google or others). Now I have to block all HC2 internet access to Fibaro and setup a VPN to my local network (which I did, even for my mobile phones using Fibaro apps).

As stated before, you made a

! That is one of the main reasons I used, and trusted, the HC2. You don't keep your promise, that's why my confidence is highly damaged by Fibaro! (one of the reasons)

So any choice Fibaro is making for his users are now dubious (by me). Why all communications has to be send by Fibaro servers and don't have the choice of setting up by another (private) service (E-mail, push, SMS etc.)? What is your primary goal? Making money by big-data (the new money)? Sharing it with another third parties? What are your plans for the future? Can you keep your promises? IMHO, you definitely don't have solid track record so far.

Fibaro, be aware that all data can be compromised and can be misused. The HC2 is used for high privacy risk environment for it's users. The controller is collecting fundamental data from the users life-patterns (and even pictures)! When the amount of users increase, it will be more attractive to hackers and the hazard of being compromised will increase. Don't even think your system is unhackable, no system is.

So it's fair to demand some basic options to protect my data the way I think it should be, and I can live with. Or do you think that users aren't capable enough to make those choices?

My motto is: No data, No breach.

The only thing we're asking the freedom to make a choice! How hard can that be?

Hello,

WOW

and there in lies the problem with modern advertising - makers/owners sell data of their users which than gets abused against said users by spinless corporated advertisement companies. and no annonymous data is nowhere near as annonymous as you'd think from the name - they might not get your name but they get alot about your personall behavious, in (what i hope is more shady than Fibaro) some cases your location can be shared aswell (the annonimity here means that they dont share entire adress but maybe street name, city, nation). Juuust not enough privacy to make me very offended by some of those "services".

I do sourly miss times when internet was not ran by greed *sigh* too much advertisement and too little privacy makes me sad.

Sorry for that outburst but privacy is one of very few things that should have never been compromised (along with healthcare, education, policing) by money its something each human deserves to at least have proper controll over. And it drives me up the damned wall that so much advertising is attacking me so offten (yes even with ADB) AND advertisers have leg up on me! okay i need to stop or ill just go and punch a wall and break my damned arm.

Hello,

@Fibaro:

I first of all would like to know which kind of information is sent to Google (assume it goes to Google Analytics) and with which reasoning behind it?

Why is it important to send any information what a user is doing in his/her home network, on a system which he/she totally owns and which has no need to internet connection for configuration purposes to the outside? What kind of statistics can be derived out of which data sent?

What can be analysed and who is using the results for what?

Once the WHAT and WHY is more clear, the dicussion might be going back to more unemotional basis

/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> (don't be fooled - this subject is a very important one and emotional biased - which is correct, privacy is a special sensitive subject)

Therefore is the most important question for me in this context is: WHY there is a need to do it?

Thank you very much for any enlightenment....

/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

And ... may LUA be with us (also in THIS context

/emoticons/default_wink.png" alt=";)" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> )

@Fibaro:

I first of all would like to know which kind of information is sent to Google (assume it goes to Google Analytics) and with which reasoning behind it?

R€a$on$ ar€ quit€ c£€ar i think.

I am not one good with expressing thoughts through writing. I am sensitive and particular about 'Personal Data Privacy' so much so that I even sign up to any national programme that enables me to regain back some privacy (e.g. marketing calls farmed from databases obtained from various lucky draw, survey, etc forms I filled in the past). On the same rationale, I have chosen Fibaro for its stance on 'No Personal Data' is stored on Fibaro's servers (which seems to be sceptical now).

For the same reason, I am resisting and combating any residential equipment I bought and operate at home that potentially compromises my and my household's privacy. Examples: networking solution that does not offers on-site solution and disablement of cloud, network attached storage that hook to the cloud and upload to cloud hosting servers, IP camera that does not allow on-site storage of video footages.

The list can go on and on. Ultimately, in short, WE (the consumers) should have control over our PRIVACY and that includes data about US, be it non-identifiable such as lifestyle, habit, time that I wake up or leave for work or anything related to US; or identifiable such as name, address, GPS position of where I live.

If choice is limited, I would RATHER SWITCH TO Apple's HomeKit platform. At least I get encryption for all its traffic unlike Fibaro's Home Center which use plain HTTP and cannot even support HTTPS for 2 years (or longer); and probably OPTION to opt out of some of the features/functions much like its iOS devices where I can disable location services and many other privacy options.

Every 5 minutes there is a non secure http authorisation to ml.fibaro.com/getMLUser.php (109.95.152.167) (see attachment). Looking at the contents it's looks like it's done by the fibaro.Android.Application to keep the connection alive.

Looks to me this a policy-violation threat.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

@Lambik,

Thanks for sharing details. It helps save some time and effort to discover (which is kind of difficult) what traffic is going out from HC and then devise appropriate firewall rules to block.

Let's combine our efforts and see where it gets us in terms of protecting OUR data.

Hi all,

i am also not a fan of google and google analytics. I hope fibaro knows, that in germany google analytics can used only in special terms based on data privacy laws.

And one of the points is, that anyone who buildin google analytics into there producs, has also to put in an opt out possible, to switch OFF google Analytics. Additonal the IP Address has to be anonymise.

If you dont do this, that breake german data privacy laws.

Other question to fibaro, why HC2 send everyday 495-498MB Data to Internet, even i dont used the gui since days? 

• 2 weeks later...

@Fibaro

How does Fibaro's Data Safety statement "

relates to this topic where data is being sent to Google?