Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Fluorescent tube with Fibaro Dimmer 2?

McGreggor

Question

Trying to get my garage Fluorescent strip/tube bulb to work with a dimmer 2 module, but can't get it to switch on.  I've tried various parameter configurations, but it seems to report parameter 13 switching from 0 to 1 each time I try to turn it on, which is auto-calibration.  Strangely, I'm not seeing any alarms from it about over current, so not sure what's going on here.  Any tweaks or settings to get Fluorescent tube bulbs working in general?

6 answers to this question

Is it the "classical type", with a (ferromagnetic) ballast? And a starter that "blinks" the lamp? Then I don't think it will work. I've tested that long time ago (test = negative). I think, 2-wire setup won't work, so I'd only try 3-wire. Try p 30 = 0 - forced leading edge control and p 32 = 1 - on/off mode enabled (dimming is not possible) plus p 34 = 2 - long soft-start (0,5s). Oh, but first, connect the power to the module, the dimmer should calibrate the load. After 30 seconds, what does the LED look like?

GREEN - Light source recognized as dimmable, dimming levels set, brightness may be controlled using the S1 switch.

YELLOW - Light source recognized as non-dimmable, possibility to turn ON/OFF connected light with default parameters settings.

RED - Calibration procedure failed. Possible reasons: lack of connected load or connected light source exceeds maximum power, which may be controlled by the Dimmer.

BLINKING RED - Calibration procedure failed. Possible reasons: installation failure or damaged load (causing activation of the overcurrent protection).

Please note that the manual subtly refers to fluorescent light like this: "fluorescent tube lamp (compact / with electronic ballast)" - that's why I ask if it is a non-electronic ballast...

• Inquirer
  • Is it the "classical type", with a (ferromagnetic) ballast? And a starter that "blinks" the lamp? Then I don't think it will work. I've tested that long time ago (test = negative). I think, 2-wire setup won't work, so I'd only try 3-wire. Try p 30 = 0 - forced leading edge control and p 32 = 1 - on/off mode enabled (dimming is not possible) plus p 34 = 2 - long soft-start (0,5s). Oh, but first, connect the power to the module, the dimmer should calibrate the load. After 30 seconds, what does the LED look like?

Yes it's the classic tube type with the starter that ignites. The manual is a bit cryptic saying 'flurescents may work'. Three wire setup fortunately. I've only seen the dimer LED a solid red, but I'll try to reset everything and see after 30 seconds and try forcing leading edge.

• Inquirer
  • Change it for an LED tube?

LED tubes? About to Google up on these, are they a straight swap?

LED tubes? About to Google up on these, are they a straight swap?

Please login or register to see this attachment.