Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Dimmer 2 - Flickering Flashing randomly

lincolner

Question

Hi there,

ever since I installed Dimmer 2, my problem has been getting from occasional flickering of my LEDs to horrible frequent flickering.  My LEDs will be on for awhile and then off and on very quickly (1/2 a second).  Its really annoying and it happens for ALL my Fibaro dimmers in the house

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_sad.png" alt=":(" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

In the living room, from my Vera Edge console, I'm able to see that my watts is 71.  I have 10 LEDs in series that will on/off/dim using one Dimmer 2 module.

I understand that I may have to play around with the parameters.  Can someone help to suggest which parameter should I play around with?  I'm a little lost in the advance parameters as mentioned here:

Please login or register to see this link.

thanks for your help!!

(pls see the video I recorded.  movie wasn't pointing to the lights that flickered but it shows the effect.. -> 

)

10 answers to this question

What kind of LEDs? Brand, link, specs?

What transformer are you using? Is it electronic and does it output 12V AC?

Do you have the same kind of transformers / LEDs throughout your house?

Maybe you need a Fibaro Dimmer 2 bypass?

The first thing I would try is to change the load type. Start with 1 (trailing edge) as this is supposed to be for best compatability on LEDs and electronc transformers.

30. Load control mode

This parameter allows to set the desired load control mode. The device automatically adjusts correct control mode, but the installer may force its change using this parameter.

Forced auto-calibration will set this parameter’s value to 2.

Available settings:

0 - forced leading edge control

1 - forced trailing edge control

2 - control mode selected automatically (based on auto-calibration) 

I just noticed you say you have 10 LEDs in series? Are you sure?

If you have them in series you have some kind of constant current driver and I'm not sure what dimmer you need.

Its known issue of the dimmer2. (

). This effect should be reduced in ver 3.3, but was reported in it as well. It seems that this is not bulb related issue, but sensitivity od dimmer 2 to electric network peaks/rush. In my case, when I switched from 3 wire to 2 wire setup, situation improved. Also maximum dimming level is set to 70% in my case. But I have standard halogen lamps, not leds. 

• Inquirer
  • you guys/gals are awesome!  Sorry I am quite a newbie especially with lightings.  I have a lot to learn!

let me go through the settings for parameter 30 and cross fingers..

also was trying to find out how to do firmware upgrade, let me read further..

• Inquirer
  • Hi All,

I tried the parameter 30 (with 0 and 1) and did a recalibration (parameter 13) but still no luck. 

I am using all Philips LEDs (6.5W 2700K 36D 12Vac) and its Philips transformer.  I'm not quite sure about how to identify a series set up (as the electrician did it for me) but when I turn on the dimmer/switch all 10 LEDs light up (6.5 x10W?=65W consumption?)

Any other parameters?  I find it hard to believe that this is a known/common issue?  How can this product work like this?

@lincolner,

I am using Philips LED lights with embedded driver for entire house but each gang/switch is only max 3 Philips LED lights (9W ones). I have only 1 Fibaro dimmer 2 and encountering auto-off/on for 1-3 seconds issue when other lights in same circuit is switch on (posted in the other over-current thread).

Here are my suggestions since the root cause of your issue has not been identified and I am not too clear about your setup:

1. Parameters

Parameter 4: set to 0.1 - 0.3 seconds instead of default (I am using 0.1 seconds and works ok)
      Parameter 6: set to 0.03 seconds instead of default
      Parameter 2 and 3: Set to same % (Mine is set to 75%)

2. Fibaro Bypass 2

Dependent on your circuit and lights, you may required the bypass 2 module to resolve LED lights flickering issue. This is quite commonly known and your home automation installer should know about this.

Hope it helps.

• Inquirer
  • Hi Chaicka,

Thanks!  I had the change as recommended and attached the picture.  Appreciate if you can correct me if I specified the wrong parameter (i am using Vera Edge as the controller)

I had purchased the Fibaro Bypass 2 (just one to try).  I was told I just need to install it together with the 2 wires for ANY bulb out of the several bulbs that I have.  Is that correct?  The bypass 2 feels warm on touch so I guess it is doing its job and I connected it correctly?

asdf@lincolner,

I am using Philips LED lights with embedded driver for entire house but each gang/switch is only max 3 Philips LED lights (9W ones). I have only 1 Fibaro dimmer 2 and encountering auto-off/on for 1-3 seconds issue when other lights in same circuit is switch on (posted in the other over-current thread).

Here are my suggestions since the root cause of your issue has not been identified and I am not too clear about your setup:

1. Parameters

Parameter 4: set to 0.1 - 0.3 seconds instead of default (I am using 0.1 seconds and works ok)
      Parameter 6: set to 0.03 seconds instead of default
      Parameter 2 and 3: Set to same % (Mine is set to 75%)

2. Fibaro Bypass 2

Dependent on your circuit and lights, you may required the bypass 2 module to resolve LED lights flickering issue. This is quite commonly known and your home automation installer should know about this.

Hope it helps.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Hi Chaicka,

Thanks!  I had the change as recommended and attached the picture.  Appreciate if you can correct me if I specified the wrong parameter (i am using Vera Edge as the controller)

I had purchased the Fibaro Bypass 2 (just one to try).  I was told I just need to install it together with the 2 wires for ANY bulb out of the several bulbs that I have.  Is that correct?  The bypass 2 feels warm on touch so I guess it is doing its job and I connected it correctly?

Parameter 4 & 6 seems correct.

Parameter 2 is actually determined by the auto-calibration during installation (or a force re-calibration) and parameter 3 just follows parameter 2. In my case, the calibration set parameter 2 to 75% hence I set parameter 3 to be the same.

(...) 

The bypass is indeed recommended (somewhat more for 2-wire setup), if you have less than 50 W load. That's a pessimistic value, but that's the number specified in the manual. I'd say you can gat away with 25 W, but it really depends on brand/model of LED/CFL lamp. If you don't have the bypass, a low load will cause some lamps to flicker or glow when the dimmer is off.

The bypass can consume 0,5 - 1,0 W, that explains why it's warm. I would call it "bath water temperature" hot.

Edit: it's not "a bypass per bulb" but "a bypass per dimmer" but you connect the bypass to (only one of) the lamp(s).