Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Open Remote for UI

AutoFrank

Hi , 

I was working with imperihome but found it a bit limiting.

I don't have the skills to create a UI from scratch but came across OpenRemote.

You run a controller on a NAS or a Pi (I'm using a Pi) and you create panels for tablets and phones using http/api calls to the HC2

I've figured out some of the building blocks and it's not that intuitive plus the site documentation isnt great and the forum appears small but with one or two very helpful members...

This is what I have working with bi-directional control/response

• How to get a switch working (swiid and fibaro dual relay)
  • How to get a slider working (fibaro dimmer)
  • How to get a sonos zone controlled.

from my initial testing the response is instant across a number of devices at the same time.

I'm looking to create something similar to the attached image for myself...

Please login or register to see this attachment.

If people would be interested I'd be willing to document my few examples/settings/etc that would give people a good start - it should be just time and icons to scale to a few screens.

... just gauging interest levels before I put pen to paper ...

-Frank

Guest Roman

This is very interesting.

Do you have video how it works in real life?

• Topic Author
  • This is very interesting.

Do you have video how it works in real life?

Thanks for the feedback Roman...

no video created yet

Are you interested in

1) how it works as a UI (intuitive, effective)

or

2) how OpenRemote works as a solution (ie. the controller and the tablet panel and the data /traffic between them (http/api calls)

I am working on my UI layout (MS Visio) and icons (GIMP) at the moment and when I'm happy I'll start adding the logic behind the buttons/controls

The picture I added was one I pulled from the internet that I liked the look of but I have attached where my own design is at the moment for the 'Kitchen - Home' panel

and the 'Kitchen - Music' panel .

For each subsequent panel like the music one I intend to keep the same look and feel (same left bar, main panel for relevant controls (sonos zones for the music one) and some Quick access buttons along the bottom.

the scale is for a 10" android tablet (800h x 1280w pixels)

I also intend to create some panels for two smaller 7" tablets I have in the master bedroom and the entrance hall with a lot less buttons

This looks very nice.

Too bad I have too little experience in programming for these projects....

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_sad.png" alt=":(" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

• Topic Author
  • This looks very nice.

Too bad I have too little experience in programming for these projects....

/emoticons/default_sad.png" alt=":(" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

actually there is very little 'programming' with this - It's all about http calls and the core building blocks

I'm still figuring out my building blocks but at this stage I have controi over all HC2 devices, all my sonos zones (through a node http api - 

Please login or register to see this code.

, my humax sat receiver and I'll be moving onto my hdmi matrix and my TV's after that.

I'm working on the setup/logic/http call,-json variables for the various parts of my system before I pretty it up with nice GIMP icons on the actual interface....

I'll keep people posted as there seems to be a little interest

-F 

Look really interesting - certainly will be following your efforrts

Guest Roman

Could you share your source codes of current state of configured visualization?

• Topic Author
  • Could you share your source codes of current state of configured visualization?

Not much to share at the moment, still creating the building blocks

Have come across a possible issue as all sensors (read back status of device) in OR poll whether active or not and it appears to be putting a lot of strain on the HC2

will keep you posted.... 

• Topic Author
  • I've been configuring and setting up OR over the last while and finally have something a little respectable to show.I'll give a brief intro here and then show the result. Over a number of subsequent posts I'll try and describe how I got to this point.

Setting up OR screens/panels is very manual but it is also very powerful. I am using the free designer version but will be moving to the ProDesigner (free for individuals) once they have a translation process from their free version which could be weeks. 

The basic setup is a controller running on a separate machine and the tablets/phone interact with that. The designer is a cloud app and you sync the design with the local controller. (all very easy). I'm using a Raspberry Pi but intend to switch to something like a Beaglebone Black which will be a better long term home. (I think I'm close to the PI capability as I have 4 camera stream running on the cameras panel but the UI got very slow, I deleted them for now andnow just have the one on the home panel and its working very well) I have a lot more devices set up in OR than what I am showing (ie. 20 temp sensors around the house, updating very couple of mins inthe background ) and all seems to be working well, The HC2 had an increased RAM usage as I was working on this and syncing very couple of mins but a reboot last evening sorted that out. Used memory is displayed on the home page and is currently running at 27%. 

I also have my sonos zones setup as well as part of this project and am using NODE SONOS HTTP API. Its a git project that I also installed on the RPi and give me direct access to a large amount of sonos features over a simple to understand but powerful API. (

Please login or register to see this link.

) I used this API to create a very basic VD for the HC2 and seems to work well.

My images are basic enough (GIMP) and I'm not very happy with the music panel. I need to design a better "control" for sonos functionality but this works as a good POC

The home screen has navigation to other screens on the right side. I've added snaps of the Home, Music and Security Panels.

More to come over the next while depending on level of interest.

-F

Thanks for sharing and a great job! I have a question. I have also tried to download the designer (pro). But I have received an account, but not a password at the open remote site. Did you have the same experience?

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for sharing and a great job! I have a question. I have also tried to download the designer (pro). But I have received an account, but not a password at the open remote site. Did you have the same experience?

Thanks, even though I wish my artistic skills were better 

/emoticons/default_icon_surprised.gif" alt=":-o" /> but its not a bad start..

I have a designer pro account and can log into it with the same credentials as the free one. I haven't used it at all (apart from verifying the access works) as it needs the 2.5 controller with the 2.5 Pro Designer.

Once they have a way to migrate my project from the free version (2.14) to Pro (2.5 ), I'll set up a new 2.5 controller on more robust hardware and shift everything completely across. My work to date has been really about proving that it's capabilities work for me but with 47 devices containing almost 300 commands/sensors/switches, starting from scratch is not really an option

If you haven't found the good groups forum it might be work looking there and posting the question.

There has been some noise around issue with 2.5 Pro so that might be a good place to start

Thanks for sharing and a great job! I have a question. I have also tried to download the designer (pro). But I have received an account, but not a password at the open remote site. Did you have the same experience?

Me neither.  Instead I chose the reset-password option from the log-in/activiation screen.

Thanks, reset password was the option....

/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

• 2 weeks later...
  • Topic Author
  • Hi,

Things have moved on since I last posted and OR now have a way to migrate a project from the free designer version to the Pro version.

The only downside is that I need to upgrade my controller to 2.6/2.6beta at the same time.

I'll probably take the opportunity to move my OR controller to something more sustainable like a Beaglebone or dragino so I'll need to procure that soon.

I also been looking again at the UI and ma not very happy with the result. I'm looking to source someone that can help me create the right look and feel and I may need to pay somebody

I have been progressing the coding/config of the OR in the background and will create the UI using their standard buttons until it's functionally close with what I need.

At that stage I'll start to add the pro look and feel.

As of now I have over 400 commands/sensors/switches/etc setup and haven't encountered any issues. I know somebody that has upwards of 1500 with no stability issues. I still think that OR will work for me but am taking a sideways step now in my approach.

will keep you posted....

• 2 weeks later...

This is awesome. I am having problems with Imperihome too as scenes no longer work after 4.090 and the developer is not responding...

I am very interested since I cut a hole in my wall to put the tablet in it which is now pretty much unusable.

I will definitely do some digging and see if it can do what I want

• Topic Author
  • This is awesome. I am having problems with Imperihome too as scenes no longer work after 4.090 and the developer is not responding...

I am very interested since I cut a hole in my wall to put the tablet in it which is now pretty much unusable.

I will definitely do some digging and see if it can do what I want

For me it seems to work well and has been very stable. I'll be migrating from Pi to Dragino or Beaglebone but that's for later in the summer

I made a few mistakes at the start, I focused on what the UI looked like instead of what I wanted it to do and I have back tracked a little now. Once I started to use the UI I figured out quickly that the way I envisioned I would use it was very different in real life - I didn't actually need all the manual controls even for all the sonos kit as we tend to do just a few things. (select radio station, line in or the odd playlist, volume up/down, and group/ungroup.)

My system is also designed to be as automated as I can get it and I think I am finally getting there....

Morning, Away, Night and Home scenes drive changes to lights, music, security, all triggered by some auto changing global variables (night/day, morning/afternoon/evening modes, outside/inside, alarm zones status. 

One the same Pi I have the "node-sonos-http-api" running (see

) and I use this to control my sonos zones for both direct control (vol up kitchen, playroom) or some of my automated stuff (all zones off when away mode is selected or kitchen/hallway on when home mode is set) As a result of using this api & OR I have stopped using Krikroff's sonos remote almost completely.

One excellent feature of the api is it's TTS and I use this a lot particularly with the tablet/scenes controller, which leads me to my next point is that I have fond that a decent scene controller (like the recent ZRC90 €50 -

) and TTS can work better than a tablet and in my hallway by the front door I have swapped out the idea of having a small 7" tablet for the ZRC90 and TTS

For example On the scene controller I can set house mode

AWAY mode (1 click, as opposed to 3 or 4 for a tablet)

This checks the zones on my alarm and if any are open it 'tells' me literally (Dining Room Zone Open,Kitchen Zone Open) which zone are open and advises me that I can bypass (long press of the same button) or go around and close the windows and try and set regular AWAY mode again.

HOME mode - when somebody arrives home and opens the front door, lights on in hall and few more elsewhere, press HOME button and it turns off the alarm, unpauses the sonos in the kitchen, etc

I still have the 10" tablet in the kitchen and one upstairs in the landing.

I also have a small cheapie tablet (archos Xenon 7) in the master bedroom and I could replace with a scene controller but I might just make buttons like a scene controller and add a few more

For me my order of control are 

• Automate what I can
    • Scene Controller /TTS next (quick acess)
    • Tablet with OR UI third

If I might make 3 suggestions...

1) decide on autmation/tablet/scene controller (quick access) and code around that

2) For the UI focus on what you want to do functionally and just use the OR default buttons initially. They are easier to work with and change around

3) Start with Controller 2.5 and the Pro-designer (These were paid when I started, they are free to individuals now) - If you start with the Free Designer, you have to use 2.3 Controller and then you will need to migrate later.

- Once you're happy with the buttons then it can be made to look well.

sorry for the long winded response but it has taken me almost 12 months to get to this stage and conclusions and it would have been great to reach this conclusion at the start  

/emoticons/default_icon_smile.gif" alt=":-)" />

hopefully some of this is useful for you....

Many thanks for suggestions and comprehensive post - very very useful.

I have got a Raspberry Pi which I could use for this project but I am wondering why are you considering moving to Dragino or Beaglebone. Are there performance issues with Raspberry?

• Topic Author
  • Many thanks for suggestions and comprehensive post - very very useful.

I have got a Raspberry Pi which I could use for this project but I am wondering why are you considering moving to Dragino or Beaglebone. Are there performance issues with Raspberry?

no prob re the info

RPI performance is fine but I'm not a big fan of having everything running from the SD card on the Pi. SD cards vary in reliability and I'm not even sure where I got mine. BB and Dragino have on board eMMC memory.. more of a personal than a technical preference...