Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

WARNING! Deleted devices after backing up HC2

Sankotronic

Question

I finally stumbled with my HC2 and I'm very unhappy at the moment. Now I can finally understand most of the users here on forum why they cry, curse and show discontent.

So here is my short story:

HC2 with FW 4.080 with installed 255 devices, 49 scenes in 24 rooms. I happily added my first Fibaro swipe and after that decided to make backup just in case. Backup is made but after that I noticed that HC started deleting devices. I wrote down devices ID that appeared in that small event log dialog on the top of the page and when finished compared with my list. At first it looked ok because all deleted devices ID actually was not on the list. But after refreshing 'Your House' page I noticed that some devices are missing. I compared with my list that I made in excel and found out that is missing 55 devices of which most are smart plugs, two of six roller shutters, some of the motion sensors, some of the door/window sensors, all three flood sensors, all three fire sensors, two relay modules.

There is no logic in this unfortunate event, at least none that I can see, because deleted sensors and modules are equally near or far from the control center, also many are not battery operated but connected to the power like roller shutters, relays, smart plugs!

Before making backup I noticed that my battery operated Vision siren is showing dead and could not wake it up, but I thought that this is because of weak batteries. Is it possible that one dead device can make such damage and delete so many other devices?

Some kind of explanation would be nice to know, but nevertheless, this kind of unfortunate event should not happen anyway. Now even if I somehow reconnect deleted devices I will always be afraid to make another backup. And when we loose confidence we all know that there is never happy ending.

If there is anyone out there that had same experience and manage to solve it I will be more than thankful if he/she share his/her knowledge here.

I don't expect any help or answer from Fibaro because toy makers do not have or need to give support

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_wink.png" alt=";)" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

7 answers to this question

I finally stumbled with my HC2 and I'm very unhappy at the moment. Now I can finally understand most of the users here on forum why they cry, curse and show discontent.

HC2 with FW 4.080 with installed 255 devices, 49 scenes in 24 rooms. I happily added my first Fibaro swipe and after that decided to make backup just in case. Backup is made but after that I noticed that HC started deleting devices. I wrote down devices ID that appeared in that small event log dialog on the top of the page and when finished compared with my list. At first it looked ok because all deleted devices ID actually was not on the list. But after refreshing 'Your House' page I noticed that some devices are missing. I compared with my list that I made in excel and found out that is missing 55 devices of which most are smart plugs, two of six roller shutters, some of the motion sensors, some of the door/window sensors, all three flood sensors, all three fire sensors, two relay modules.

There is no logic in this unfortunate event, at least none that I can see, because deleted sensors and modules are equally near or far from the control center, also many are not battery operated but connected to the power like roller shutters, relays, smart plugs!

Before making backup I noticed that my battery operated Vision siren is showing dead and could not wake it up, but I thought that this is because of weak batteries. Is it possible that one dead device can make such damage and delete so many other devices?

Some kind of explanation would be nice to know, but nevertheless, this kind of unfortunate event should not happen anyway. Now even if I somehow reconnect deleted devices I will always be afraid to make another backup. And when we loose confidence we all know that there is never happy ending.

If there is anyone out there that had same experience and manage to solve it I will be more than thankful if he/she share his/her knowledge here.

I don't expect any help or answer from Fibaro because toy makers do not have or need to give support

/emoticons/default_wink.png" alt=";)" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20">

Hello,

Please, contact our support. Remember to describe the problem thoroughly, explain step by step what you have been doing, any attachments to the report will be very useful.

/emoticons/default_wink.png" alt=";)" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I had but it was many many versions ago. Never did find out what caused devices to suddenly disappear or the chain of activities that triggered it.

The lucky thing that happened was restoring one  backup before the most recent backup did the trick and everything was back almost functional condition. If memory serves me well, I did have to soft-reconfigure one or two devices or wake up some battery-operated devices. It was really a blessing despite the unfortunate event.

• Inquirer
  • First of all I calm down

/emoticons/default_biggrin.png" alt=":D" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. Before this unfortunate event HC2 was working without any problems for more than a month. My wife is very happy with the system and for me that is most important since she is at home 365 days while I'm only half of that time at home due to my job.

When I came home two days ago everything was just fine. So I decided to add Fibaro swipe to the system. I was playing with it and everything looked good. I managed to add it to the HC2 without any problems and I programmed few of the gestures. Since I didn't make backup of the system for more than two months, I decided to make one before continuing to add another Fibaro swipe, camera, another Sonos speaker and some other devices. The rest of the story is in my first post. 

And now episode 2.

First I try to just do soft restart of HC2 but of course this didn't help. Then I first check what devices are deleted and since I have list of all devices in Excel added to the system that was not difficult. 55 devices was gone. Then I try first to restore from last backup but again there was no help. At the end I restored from previous backup done more than two months ago and all deleted devices came back except all my work done after that backup. Still this is less trouble because connecting back around 10 devices is much less than 55 of them. It is actually my mistake not to make backup before doing any changes to the HC2 and adding Fibaro swipe. I learn lesson again: BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP every time before doing any changes!!!

/emoticons/default_icon_razz.gif" alt=":-P" />

So at this point HC2 is again functioning properly and I just missing 10 devices of which I already successfully reconnected half of them. Of course reseting of this devices is mandatory before reconnecting but instructions are attached to each device so no problem with that.

I really don't know what caused this problem, is it dead Vision siren or added Fibaro swipe since it is not possible to check status of z-wave network. Normally there RAM was always filled up between 40-60% but after adding Fibaro swipe it jumped to almost 90%. I expect that I will tomorrow restore my system where it was before adding Fibaro swipe and then I will again make backup hopefully without any surprises. Only after that I will continue with adding new devices.

Dear Konopka, thank you for immediate reaction and offering help. At the moment everything is back to normal. Still if you like to check what happened send me private message what I have to do on my side to make it happen.

• Inquirer
  • Episode 3

With some effort I finally managed to re-include devices that where lost after restoring backup. It would be nice to have better instructions how to re-include devices that where lost without proper exclusion. I didn't know that relays have to be powered off and then powered on while pressing B button for 3 sec. After that they have to be powered off again, and then learning mode must be active while powering them up again and they will be included automatically without needing to press B button 3 times.

After I include last three door/windows sensors from addict (have to remove them because they are too far away for inclusion) then when I make backup again I will finally be where I was before including Fibaro swipe and then loosing 55 devices. Then we will see if Fibaro swipe caused this unfortunate event?!

• Inquirer
  • Episode 4

So after sorting everything out and adding Fibaro swipe again one door/sensor is missing and it is gone even without making backup. So, is it really possible that Fibaro swipe is responsible for this crap?

EDIT

Before this door/sensor was deleted from system and of course without any warning, I noticed that another one door/window sensor was reported dead, and it is only two meters away from control center in same room with nothing in between.

Edited by Sankotronic

First of all I calm down

/emoticons/default_biggrin.png" alt=":D" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20">. Before this unfortunate event HC2 was working without any problems for more than a month. My wife is very happy with the system and for me that is most important since she is at home 365 days while I'm only half of that time at home due to my job.

When I came home two days ago everything was just fine. So I decided to add Fibaro swipe to the system. I was playing with it and everything looked good. I managed to add it to the HC2 without any problems and I programmed few of the gestures. Since I didn't make backup of the system for more than two months, I decided to make one before continuing to add another Fibaro swipe, camera, another Sonos speaker and some other devices. The rest of the story is in my first post. 

And now episode 2.

First I try to just do soft restart of HC2 but of course this didn't help. Then I first check what devices are deleted and since I have list of all devices in Excel added to the system that was not difficult. 55 devices was gone. Then I try first to restore from last backup but again there was no help. At the end I restored from previous backup done more than two months ago and all deleted devices came back except all my work done after that backup. Still this is less trouble because connecting back around 10 devices is much less than 55 of them. It is actually my mistake not to make backup before doing any changes to the HC2 and adding Fibaro swipe. I learn lesson again: BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP every time before doing any changes!!!

/emoticons/default_icon_razz.gif" alt=":-P">

So at this point HC2 is again functioning properly and I just missing 10 devices of which I already successfully reconnected half of them. Of course reseting of this devices is mandatory before reconnecting but instructions are attached to each device so no problem with that.

I really don't know what caused this problem, is it dead Vision siren or added Fibaro swipe since it is not possible to check status of z-wave network. Normally there RAM was always filled up between 40-60% but after adding Fibaro swipe it jumped to almost 90%. I expect that I will tomorrow restore my system where it was before adding Fibaro swipe and then I will again make backup hopefully without any surprises. Only after that I will continue with adding new devices.

Dear Konopka, thank you for immediate reaction and offering help. At the moment everything is back to normal. Still if you like to check what happened send me private message what I have to do on my side to make it happen.

Episode 3

With some effort I finally managed to re-include devices that where lost after restoring backup. It would be nice to have better instructions how to re-include devices that where lost without proper exclusion. I didn't know that relays have to be powered off and then powered on while pressing B button for 3 sec. After that they have to be powered off again, and then learning mode must be active while powering them up again and they will be included automatically without needing to press B button 3 times.

After I include last three door/windows sensors from addict (have to remove them because they are too far away for inclusion) then when I make backup again I will finally be where I was before including Fibaro swipe and then loosing 55 devices. Then we will see if Fibaro swipe caused this unfortunate event?!

Episode 4

So after sorting everything out and adding Fibaro swipe again one door/sensor is missing and it is gone even without making backup. So, is it really possible that Fibaro swipe is responsible for this crap?

EDIT

Before this door/sensor was deleted from system and of course without any warning, I noticed that another one door/window sensor was reported dead, and it is only two meters away from control center in same room with nothing in between.

Hello Sankotronic,

Thank you for this detailed description. I will contact support team to find out anything about a possible cause. As I understand you did not update to 4.082? And you still use 4.080?

• Inquirer
  • My HC2 is on 4.080 because I always skip betas on devices that I need to work flawlessly. I'm still busy with building my system and it's getting more and more complex. At the moment there is 61 physical devices connected to HC2 (should be 62 but one door/window sensor is deleted without my consent or warning).

I really wish I can give you more information. I was busy writing scene for checking doors & windows if open or close and it was working fine so all sensors where still there. After lunch when I check again this scene stop working same like the one for checking batteries due to deletion of one door/window sensor and thats how I actually realize it's deletion. There was no logs on the top of the web interface.

All what I can say is that deletion of sensors always happened AFTER inclusion of Fibaro swipe and making some smart scenes. Now I deleted all smart scenes and I'm starting scenes by setting up %%event header.

I still have to include one more Fibaro swipe.