Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Dimmer 2 not placed behind switch

Marc88

Question

Hi,

So I have this Dimmer 2 version 3.4 and I want to place it near the light fixture and not behind the switch.

According to the manual it's impossible but I've found some drawings on the internet that it might be possible, I just want to be very sure about it before I wreck it.

See the picture that's included, is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

11 answers to this question

Yes it's possible. I've installed 2 of these dimmers at the light fixture this way. It doesn't really matter where you install it just follow the diagrams.

Yep, remote switching definitely works with FIbaro dimmers and relays. Other brands require the switch to be within 10cm of the module but I've tested the Fibaro modules can reliably be switched from at least 15m away. Very handy for installs in solid brick buildings with no cavity for z-wave modules behind switch plates.

Hi,

So I have this Dimmer 2 version 3.4 and I want to place it near the light fixture and not behind the switch.

According to the manual it's impossible but I've found some drawings on the internet that it might be possible, I just want to be very sure about it before I wreck it.

See the picture that's included, is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

Please login or register to see this image.

/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gif" alt="attachicon.gif" />

Please login or register to see this link.

I am not an electrician, but it looks as if your wiring diagram connects "live" to "live" when the switch is closed.  Is this correct / safe?

I found the following on the Fibaro UK website, which requires a permanent live in the ceiling -- if you attach this to the switched live instead, the lights switch on but take about 4 seconds to boot up.  I have been considering whether to put a relay in the ceiling to create a dry contact for the S1/Sx terminals.

Please login or register to see this link.

Won't you always have to heave the light switch on for it to work?

No. The dimmer module gets constant supply at the light fitting. Switch wires connect to switch terminals.

seiq, you're assuming that the light has a constant supply - some houses are wired such that the constant supply loops between switches, not ceiling roses. In this situation there may simply not be enough cores in the light fitting to take power up there for the lights and also effectively close sx and s1 when the switch is switched

seiq, you're assuming that the light has a constant supply...

Correct. If building is wired supply looped at switches it wouldn't work without running extra cable for switch wires. I was assuming supply at light as that's what the wiring sketch shows.

Yep, remote switching definitely works with FIbaro dimmers and relays. Other brands require the switch to be within 10cm of the module but I've tested the Fibaro modules can reliably be switched from at least 15m away. Very handy for installs in solid brick buildings with no cavity for z-wave modules behind switch plates.

that's right, however not always. We have two customers, where Dimmer2 was not working correctly with >5m wires (parallel wires in the wall with high pulsing last and Dimmer2 was playing crazy). In that case only scene based and/or assotiation based solution was working.

Marc, if the sketch is what you have right now I don't see the need to wire it up at way, you can wire it up standard way as per the manual, as you will have at least 2 cores going from your switch to your light (in a classic power-loop-at-ceiling-rose setup these wires are permanent live and switched live). These two cores close sx and s1 together, the dimmer gets an L and N from the lighting main, and the the bulb should be wired between main N and (squiggle) on the dimmer

Here I see only one problem, can S1 and Sx be switched using live wire or not in case that there is only one wire from switch to light? Can anyone answer that question?