Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

[Feature Request] - HC2 Backup modification

SmartStart

Just now, riemers said:

Got an e-mail saying that my fibaro-id was a succes etc etc. In that mail it also said the line:

7. For safety and convenience, we will expand the possibilities of backup cloud storage of your Home Center.

pretty certain we all did recive it.

i have an uneasy feeling about point 8 to be honest

8. In the case of several gateways (e.g. in a summer house or another apartment),the mobile application will switch automatically, depending on which Home Center range you are in.

Doesn't sound too bad from the looks of it, but then again i don't have multiple hc's. 

6 minutes ago, riemers said:

8. In the case of several gateways (e.g. in a summer house or another apartment),the mobile application will switch automatically, depending on which Home Center range you are in.

Doesn't sound too bad from the looks of it, but then again i don't have multiple hc's. 

its not that it would be entirely bad thing, but it is Fibaro whom will be implementing it. I have very cautious approach to them implementing something that could hinder usage of your network, partly lock you out, mess with acces codes and other wonderfull things.

• 1 month later...
On 14/12/2016 at 3:43 PM, tinman said:

that's not truth, one can migrate all the data from HC2 to HC2

Could you tell me how that works? Because I now own 2 HC2's and would like to do just that.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 

I am  new to  this topic ( but not new to HC2)  , and I  see a lot  of discussions and  not much  solutions  

I even don't want to  read them  all.

But let me give my opinion in a few words

How to  do  the backup   .... I don't care how it is  done as long as I am able take a backup and to store it somewhere 

it is my  own responsibility to  have a backup  and to  keep  it secure somewhere ,   

What is more important  I must be able to restore my HC2 EASILY  when it crashes  without support of Fibaro ...  and that  is the responsibility of Fibaro ...  

Moreover Fibaro  must realize that  a complete house depends on a HC2 , why  don't they foresee the possibility to  have 2 HC2 devices in a cluster, not the master slave what we have now

But a real  cluster when 1 node fails the other one takes over ..  a HA configuration

the house is dead when the HC2  doesn't work  !!!    The HC2  is not a nice to  have thing anymore. ...  something that Fibaro  don't understand yet  

so to  have a cluster  is not  a luxury, but a must ...  

If this is available I  install it directly !! 

But I  think  this will  be wishful  thinking  because even a good working  backup/restore is not possible yet ... :-P

said .. said   :-(:-(:-( 

I  find this one of the biggest disadvantage of the HC2  !!! 

Please @ Fibaro   do  something  about this

So  many customer are asking for a solution ... please don't let us down ... but make my  day :-D:-D

Lets all  together hope that  someday  we have a decent working backup solution ..... and in a cluster configuration ....  

Thanks 

Jos 

2 hours ago, jcilissen said:

Hi 

I am  new to  this topic ( but not new to HC2)  , and I  see a lot  of discussions and  not much  solutions  

How to  do  the backup   .... I don't care how it is  done as long as I am able take a backup and to store it somewhere 

it is my  own responsibility to  have a backup  and to  keep  it secure somewhere ,   

What is more important  I must be able to restore my HC2 EASILY  when it crashes  without support of Fibaro ...  and that  is the responsibility of Fibaro ...  

Moreover Fibaro  must realize that  a complete house depends on a HC2 , why  don't they foresee the possibility to  have 2 HC2 devices in a cluster, not the master slave what we have now

But a real  cluster when 1 node fails the other one takes over ..  a HA configuration

the house is dead when the HC2  doesn't work  !!!    The HC2  is not a nice to  have thing anymore. ...  something that Fibaro  don't understand yet  

But I  think  this will  be wishful  thinking  because even a good working  backup/restore is not possible yet ... :-P

said .. said   :-(:-(:-( 

So  many customer are asking for a solution ... please don't let us down ... but make my  day :-D:-D

Lets all  together hope that  someday  we have a decent working backup solution ..... and in a cluster configuration ....  

Thanks 

Jos 

RE cluster option, Its a no brainer for Fibaro and user.

How many more HC2's would Fibaro  sell if this was possible.

Or would a bug just take out 2 HC's instead of 1?

Edited by Jamie mccrostie

• 3 months later...
On 22/03/2017 at 4:14 AM, jcilissen said:

Hi 

But I  think  this will  be wishful  thinking  because even a good working  backup/restore is not possible yet ... :P

said .. said   :(:(:( 

So  many customer are asking for a solution ... please don't let us down ... but make my  day :D:D

Thanks 

Jos 

I'm new to Fibaro and just went to take a backup of my system.

Seriously, you can't export a backup - what the ???

What's the point of having a backup if you can't save it somewhere other than on the device.

I was burgled recently and by pure luck, they left the Fibaro but it could easily be gone.

I've spent hours getting my scenes right and its madness that we can't have a backup off the device.

As an absolute minimum, I expected the ability to manually export/import a backup file.

Any cheap $20 router has this, let alone a device of this value.

As a bonus, backup to FTP, network drive or cloud would be nice, but not essential from day 1 like manual backup.

Folks, I have to admit I´m disillusioned. Years back i bought the HC2 and I believed in a bright future. And as you all know there have been ups - and downs... Finally it dawned on me. I was simply investing to much time and resources and taking to big of a risk to justify continuing on that path. Sadly I have ended up slowing down, waiting for a more robust solution - one I and my family can trust - for our home. I´m still using my two HC2s in my home and my summer house, but Fibaro is not currently getting my money for more and new devices at the rate they used to. I read the forum to stay updated, but spend considerably less time developing. Quite a few of the old members of this forum has left Fibaro for other systems, some i believe do as I do, and as we all can see a few die hards still hang in the HC2 battle of functionality and stability/availability of their HA-system. 

2 hours ago, 1152 said:

Folks, I have to admit I´m disillusioned. Years back i bought the HC2 and I believed in a bright future. And as you all know there have been ups - and downs... Finally it dawned on me. I was simply investing to much time and resources and taking to big of a risk to justify continuing on that path. Sadly I have ended up slowing down, waiting for a more robust solution - one I and my family can trust - for our home. I´m still using my two HC2s in my home and my summer house, but Fibaro is not currently getting my money for more and new devices at the rate they used to. I read the forum to stay updated, but spend considerably less time developing. Quite a few of the old members of this forum has left Fibaro for other systems, some i believe do as I do, and as we all can see a few die hards still hang in the HC2 battle of functionality and stability/availability of their HA-system. 

Hear hear. Fibaro never listened, explained or had the guts to discuss on arguments (publicly) to their (critical) users, let alone acting. They not gonna change that either, where I was hoping for (for a long time)...

Their roadmap is just a misty winding, bumpy path which they are travelling with a stubborn, crippled horse with concrete blinkers.

Well, I had my share of frustration with Fibaro system, but then again I don't believe that any other wireless system can be setup without a bit of frustration. Besides to be honest HA can be simple one if user don't expect much, but real HA is not that simple and can't be setup over night. HC2 is great gateway and LUA is powerful, but to get out maximum satisfaction takes time and a lot of learning on mistakes. Maybe this path could be easier if Fibaro can provide more information and more examples and faster cleaning of system bugs and more careful in adding them.

This is a challenge that I don't intend to give up on so easily and I definitely will not pace down, only temporarily because I need vacation with my family. :-) 

And now regarding backups. Until now all my frustrations with HC2 where solved successfully with simple restore of the backup without needing to even contact Fibaro support or do system recovery. I don't really mind that backup is stored on HC2 recovery USB stick, actually I think this is still the best solution. Storing backup on other media can have it's advantages but also disadvantages. I vote for preset solution, but with some changes:

1. I wish if backup can also contain user icons
  2. In case of HC failure some procedure how to restore backup to new HC from recovery USB stick without needing to contact Fibaro support.

44 minutes ago, Sankotronic said:

don't really mind that backup is stored on HC2 recovery USB stick, actually I think this is still the best solution. Storing backup on other media can have it's advantages but also disadvantages.

Hi @Sankotronic,

personally i think that backup shoul'd be stored for the convenience of the HC device, but for the safety reasons man shoul'd have also a backup stored on a different physical location as well. It think this is a common practise.

Just now, Bodyart said:

Hi @Sankotronic,

personally i think that backup shoul'd be stored for the convenience of the HC device, but for the safety reasons man shoul'd have also a backup stored on a different physical location as well. It think this is a common practise.

Hi @Bodyart,

but isn't backup stored on recovery USB stick which is practically external media, at least on HC2? Only problem with that USB stick is that is locked to the HC2 that came with. If Fibaro can change that lock so that users don't need their engineers to unlock it and lock it to another HC2 box then where is real problem?

In 2017 back-up should be a non-issue. "Time machine" on a Mac comes pretty close. Set it up, once, and then it just works. Free space management, versioning, scheduling, all automatic.

Hi @Sankotronic,

In case your HC burns down, the USB stick will be useless i think. But I agree that a user shoul'd be self supportent without an intervention of the Fibaro club.

6 minutes ago, Bodyart said:

Hi @Sankotronic,

In case your HC burns down, the USB stick will be useless i think. But I agree that a user shoul'd be self supportent without an intervention of the Fibaro club.

Yes. In 2017 it should be an non-issue. Your "dingus" can control sprinklers, play music on sonos and unlock the door. It can send a rocket to the moon. So, back-up should be this: it just works. And restore should be nothing more than "I want to have this snapshot on that device".

Can you do that on a PC?

Can your internet router do that?

Can your phone do that?

I worked 20 years in IT, telling people to make backups. I can't explain why almost nhing has changed...

17 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

Yes. In 2017 it should be an non-issue. Your "dingus" can control sprinklers, play music on sonos and unlock the door. It can send a rocket to the moon. So, back-up should be this: it just works. And restore should be nothing more than "I want to have this snapshot on that device".

Can you do that on a PC?

Can your internet router do that?

Can your phone do that?

I worked 20 years in IT, telling people to make backups. I can't explain why almost nhing has changed...

Hi @petergebruers,

I worked also in ICT for more then 20 years :-)))

Do I understand you right, that you're pleeding for back-up automation on HC2?

25 minutes ago, Bodyart said:

Hi @petergebruers,

I worked also in ICT for more then 20 years :-)))

Do I understand you right, that you're pleeding for back-up automation on HC2?

Yes.

It would also be nice if it was possible to restore a certain firmware version, and a certain data version. Distinction between "recovery" and "restore" confused many newbies...

At the moment, I also dump all my scenes on my pc and store them in a version control system (git) for even more granular control over restore! It's a rather manual and tedious task... But on average hree times per year, this pays off... :-)

Hi @Bodyart,

At this time it is true that if HC2 fail, you can't do much with recovery USB due to security key-lock implemented by Fibaro. But that problem I addressed in my second point in my post #70. I thought that we are discussing about possible solution and changes and not present situation with HC2 backup.

Hi @petergebruers,

I just can't argue with your arguments. I totally agree with you regarding backups.

21 minutes ago, Sankotronic said:

I thought that we are discussing about possible solution and changes and not present situation with HC2 backup.

Hi @Sankotronic,

I wasn''t arguing, it's just that the present situation clearly asks for some changes, since having installed HA with fibaro makes you dependent on fibaro club and you can sit in dark, cold, etc. house until the fibaro guys come to help.

Or shoul'd we have two systems in parallel in order to have some contingency? :-D

becomming little bit confused and uncertain about the contingency....

Edited by Bodyart

Just one thing to add, and in favour of @petergebruers.

If a snapshot could be made, including all settings/icons/firmware version/etc, it would promote exploring the possibilities, without the need to be reserved to start major adjustments or trying new (beta) firmware versions. A quick roll-back feature would definitely be highly appreciated.

Regarding (external) backups, would anyone at Fibaro's  please explain why such a fundamental principle is not implemented after all those years?