Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

[Feature Request] - HC2 Backup modification

SmartStart

3 hours ago, jakub.jezek said:

I believe there will be some modification to backup

Hi @jakub.jezek,

i'm not saying what i believe.... :-)

IMO, Fibaro Team did their best for us: they left security holes giving us full control of the controllers (HCL/HC2). The advanced users using it to backup userdata and many other things.

53 minutes ago, jack.daniels said:

IMO, Fibaro Team did their best for us: they left security holes giving us full control of the controllers (HCL/HC2). The advanced users using it to backup userdata and many other things.

Enlighten us @jack.daniels

59 minutes ago, Lambik said:

Enlighten us @jack.daniels

What exactly You want to hear? HC2 is the easiest one. Just read the root password and use ssh. HCL is a bit harder, because of 2 reasons:

1. ssh password auth is disabled

2. rootfs is squashfs, which is read-only compressed filesystem. and if you want to change anything (like ssh params), you have to reflash entire rootfs image.

But its also possible. Can restart ssh with password auth enabled, then use ssh.

Edited by jack.daniels

15 minutes ago, jack.daniels said:

What exactly You want to hear? HC2 is the easiest one. Just read the root password and use ssh. HCL is a bit harder, because of 2 reasons:

1. ssh password auth is disabled

2. rootfs is squashfs, which is read-only compressed filesystem. and if you what to change anything (like ssh params), you have to reflash entire rootfs image.

But its also possible. Can restart ssh with password auth enabled, then use ssh.

I have root access. How/what do you backup and how to restore?

EDIT: What do you mean by 'read the root password'?

Edited by Lambik

2 minutes ago, Lambik said:

I have root access. How/what do you backup and how to restore?

Generally, the backup has 2 parts: z-wave eeprom dump and the userdata (db, scenes, etc etc)

Create and restore scripts are insde filesystem, but u can also read eeprom or to save /mnt/userdata manually (and restore it later on-demand )

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jack.daniels said:

Generally, the backup has 2 parts: z-wave eeprom dump and the userdata (db, scenes, etc etc)

Create and restore scripts are insde filesystem, but u can also read eeprom or to save /mnt/userdata manually (and restore it later on-demand )

1 - How do I do a z-wave eeprom dump?

2 - So you backup/restore userdata by copy/restore the /mnt/userdata?

I use Linux and do have some experience, but I'm not an expert, so forgive me for asking these (stupid/noob) questions. ;D

29 minutes ago, Lambik said:

What do you mean by 'read the root password'?

HC2 has AVR conroller for handling z-wave chip management (like flash fw or read/write eeprom, reset). This controller also reports default root password.

Edited by jack.daniels
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, jack.daniels said:

HC2 has AVR conroller for handling z-wave chip management (like flash fw or read/write eeprom, reset). This controller also reports default root parrword.

This is new to me, but how do you check communications with this controller?

9 minutes ago, Lambik said:

This is new to me, but how do you check communications with this controller?

We dont have to. There is interface inside fw for this already.

4 minutes ago, jack.daniels said:

We dont have to. There is interface inside fw for this already.

Do you have a more howto noob information, like a url or an example please?

EDIT: Do you mean the 'screen' (Linux Command)?

Edited by Lambik

4 minutes ago, jack.daniels said:

Exactly

Which one?

1 - LILIServer

2 - Zwave

3 - HCServer

4 - DbUpdater

5 - GPIOServer

Number 2 I guess?

10 minutes ago, jack.daniels said:

/usr/bin/led getPassword

Allright!! Thank you so much! ;D

How did you find this? o.O

EDIT: Let's go on topic, 2 questions left:

1 - How do I do a z-wave eeprom dump?

2 - So you backup/restore userdata by copy/restore the /mnt/userdata?

Edited by Lambik

OT: now you can be sure, next HC fw will not have that executable anymore :\

1 minute ago, tinman said:

OT: now you can be sure, next HC fw will not have that executable anymore :\

So? As an owner I can't have this kind of knowledge, only the happy few? Scared of losing your livelihood?

I wish there were more people like @jack.daniels. Way to go jack!

9 minutes ago, Lambik said:

Scared of losing your livelihood?

honestly not, we do have all the tools we need, and know the hidden functions (led is harmless). The emergency service we have is not to earn money, but to satisfy customers (waiting for restore middle of winter is not funny). I posted it already multiple times, and Fibaro as well, very soon (let me guess, mid of january) external backup / restore will be available to public, without root access or any kind of "tricks" which might not only void warranty but as well destroy users installations (as you already playing with screen -r Zwave, be careful what you doing, there is no confirmation for action). My private opinion - if you know what you doing, and you own the HC, do what so ever you wish to do, it's your house. My professional opinion - do not give noobs dangerous tools, they will destroy things and blame everybody for everything.

Edited by tinman

22 minutes ago, tinman said:

now you can be sure, next HC fw will not have that executable anymore :\

The module could be named any other name, but the controller device model cannot be changed. This is public information. Anyone can unzip firmware to see its files. Not a big deal.

1 minute ago, tinman said:

honestly not, we do have all the tools we need, and know the hidden functions. The emergency service we have is not to earn money, but to satisfy customers (waiting for restore middle of winter is not funny). I posted it already multiple times, and Fibaro as well, very soon (let me guess, mid of january) external backup / restore will be available to public, without root access or any kind of "tricks" which might not only void warranty but as well destroy users installations (as you already playing with screen -r Zwave, be careful what you doing, there is no confirmation for action). My private opinion - if you know what you doing, and you own the HC, do what so ever you wish to do, it's your house. My professional opinion - do not give noobs dangerous tools, they will destroy things and blame everybody for everything.

Yeah right. Publish the hidden functions, because I want to know where

Please login or register to see this link.

come from and act on that.

I want to have the knowledge, just because to satisfy my insatiable appetite for curiosity. It's my device, I'm a customer and if want brick it, it's my problem. Welcome to the real world. That's my private opinion.

Just another reason to have a solid backup. Backup --> Try --> Learn --> Make mistakes  --> Restore --> Try again etc.

2 minutes ago, jack.daniels said:

The module could be named any other name, but the controller device model cannot be changed. This is public information. Anyone can unzip firmware to see its files. Not a big deal.

Please share/post the info. Nice to know.