Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Is the HC2 Z-Wave Plus / gen5 compatible?

makuser

Question

I know the HC2 can include gen5 devices, since they themselves are downwards compatible. But can the HC2 itself act as Z-Wave Plus controller and thereby use all new functions introduced with Z-Wave Plus? Will that be possible with a firmware update for the Z-Wave RF module, that's integrated into the HC2?

9 answers to this question

Not sure if this helps. HC2 v4.06x (or was it v4.07x) onwards supports adding z-wave plus devices in "secure mode" (encryption - a Z-Wave Plus feature) should means it is able to support z-wave plus features. Is there any particular z-wave plus only feature that you are looking at?

But can the HC2 itself act as Z-Wave Plus controller and thereby use all new functions introduced with Z-Wave Plus?

of course not, HC2 can not transmit with z-wave plus mode (100k) but in z-wave modes (9.4k or 40k) only, it does not have hardware encryption as well (which is not real showstopper because it does support aes128 via software)

Will that be possible with a firmware update for the Z-Wave RF module, that's integrated into the HC2?

no, one will have to replace the rf-module, this can not be done via firmware update

• Inquirer
  • no, one will have to replace the rf-module, this can not be done via firmware update

I thought so, yeah, but wasn't sure, because it's possible to emulate Z-Wave entirely by software (which would require only low-level hardware), which could be what Fibaro is doing. Haven't investigated that yet.

Do you think there will be a new module to purchase, that we can install ourselves (e.g. via USB) or do we need to send it in? If we'd have an external module via USB, the internal would still be there, I get that, but that shouldn't matter.

Is there any official note from Fibaro about this?

Yes there is an official notice somewhere on this forum, fibaro is claiming to be able to support all relevant (software) z-wave plus features on current hc2 chipset. However they would never admit it if they where working on a HC3.

HC3, yeah, actually there is no need for HC3. The mainboard is still better than everything what comes from competitors, the zwave module can be easily replaced with zwave plus module (during production of course). For all those who have HC2, let's wait for official zwave plus powered HC2, then we will see what can be done. In principle the company i work for can manufacture such replacement modules (with Fibaro firmware and your S/N of course), but honestly i think there will be something from Fibaro anyway so no need to hustle.

I have also seen this post that the HC2 will be updated to support z-wave plus via a software update.

Cant fint it now though.

annyways do you think that Z-wave plus can be bit too much for HCL? (maybe that is the reason why its getting bad performance lately) maybe "HC3" can be better HCL instead of HC2 .)

zwave stack is running on zwave SoC, therefore no worry about speed (and actually zwave plus modules does use faster SoC core than these zwave modules), communication to SoC runs via serial port, at same speed for zwave and zwave plus, so no impact nor difference (yes, zwave plus SoC can communicate faster if necessary, but there is no real case for that - except USB - due to how zwave protocol works). From hardware point of view, HCL can handle LOT of zwave SoCs, the limitation is mostly due to linux and its tasks, and as well Fibaro code (home center is not only doing zwave communication, there is much more)

an Update to my previous post (if there is anny on this thread):

Fibaro is in gradual transition towards ZW5 chips in everything (and they finally released door/window magnet that WONT fall apart by itselve yayy!) therby i assume it is merely matter of time before HC2 and Lite get theirs.

Right now Fibaro is selling out stocks and once they are down enough they will likely produce ZW5 of each product.