Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Troubleshooting RGBW associations

Rait

Question

So I've been battling the RGBW issue for months now. Decided to make a virtual to monitor and notify me if rogue associations pop up on any of my RGBW's. Since the biggest annoyance is that you can't just open the RGBW module and see if there are extra associations, but you need to make the HC2 to specifically query current associations list from the device to see them, then that's wxactly what the VD does. It queries all my RGBW's for associations, then if it finds more than 1 device in any association group, it sends me an e-mail.

The VD has one button and one label. The label displays output data and button does the work. I also have a scene pressing that button once a day.

Been getting about 2-4 e-mails every week so far.

Please login or register to see this code.

2 hours ago, jakub.jezek said:

Really, then why some of my customers has to run it every day and still experiencing phantoms? (sorry for sarcasm)

Well, you have to ask Fibaro that :-)

Suppling a code that requires a user fix instead of handling the problem properly only Fibaro can answer.

We have the solution in this thread and the other one, why is it not within the firmware of HC2?

I'm using scene provided by Fibaro. It's code is here:

I did not know that Fibaro supplied a code, why is this not implemented directly into firmware?

And as a loop that checks (every hour if needed?) or similar?

The associations can be checked as they change in the HC2 and compared to the stored actual values in "variable 2"

OK. Variable for storing associations sounds great. We could make fusion of Fibaro scene and VD, since in scene provided by Fibaro are functions, that are not discribed anywhere. Such as

Please login or register to see this code.

They even have a call command for association?

Did not know that, but yes that is exactly what Fibaro should be doing in firmware so every user gets this function without user interaction. (this is high tech stuff for most people)

Implement a 2nd variable to hold "real" associations and check with actual values on the device.

I understand that what will happen is a "reset" of association (of RGBW devices) to not store false values if this function is implemented, but this can be explained with the firmware update and as a notification in GUI and App. (if they differ from standard)

We have before been required to reconfigure devices etc to get functionality that has been implemented so its not new.

I think this forum is fantastic and supplies great knowledge, fixes and workarounds (like this one) but in the end (you) we should not be the ones implementing this stuff.

Fibaro should.

Hi guys,

I have same problem with ghosts in network. Could you please describe little bit more how to implement mentioned code and is there any need to edit any part of the code?

Did you find it as a proper solution?

Thanks!

Great post!  It fixed my problem!

But it is actually it is very sad that I still needed this. Fibaro should have solved this issue like 2 years ago! 

Hi @VampArt,

This issue on Z-Wave SDK level and it has to do something with HC ID and RGBW ID being close to each other and i do not mean Node ID, but something in magic behind scene.

I do not want to spoil you (sorry for that), but it issue could come back. Only thing, that would solve this issue is device with new SDK and in this point it mean completely new device with new SDK, which means new Z-Wave chip.

There is tread about it. I would recommend reading from following part:

Regards,

Jakub

Hi @VampArt and @jakub.jezek .

A easy fix form Fibaros side would also to add a 2nd variable that holds the "actual" associations when they are saved from GUI.

Those can not be fetched from a device but only saved through GUI in the Homecenter.

So if there is a difference between the device associations in the device and the 2nd variable then there are illegal associations and so Homecenter fixes the issue and sends a message about it.

So there is a really easy fix, but Fibaro as always doesn't want to fix problems.

I have mentioned it before, but, this is Fibaro we are talking about. 

We are left with ghost things happening in systems, lights turning on when they should not and so on.

Even if there is an SDK problem, its still Faros devices and so they should fix it and they can.

Only thing left is to fix it ourselfs, really sad when there is a really easy fix.

I have implemented this script with customers to run 1time a day at night and automatically fix issues if they are any, it's the only solution.

I just can't understand why Fibaro is so reluctant to fix this issue.

Edited by speedy

3 minutes ago, speedy said:

A easy fix form Fibaros side would also to add a 2nd variable that holds the "actual" associations when they are saved from GUI.

Those can not be fetched from a device but only saved through GUI in the Homecenter.

So, what you suggest is to poll device periodically regarding associations, right?

5 minutes ago, speedy said:

So if there is a difference between the device associations in the device and the 2nd variable then there are illegal associations and so Homecenter fixes the issue and sends a message about it.

And by this saving association, to some kind of associations table for system doing comparison, right? Ok, but this is still some workarround. It's not fix. .Easy fix would be RGBW with Z-Wave chip 500 (last SDK is 6.81) or Z-Wave chip 700 (SDK 7).

6 minutes ago, speedy said:

So there is a really easy fix, but Fibaro as always doesn't want to fix problems.

That is not true. I'm in contact with Fibaro regarding some issues and i can assure you, they are working on it. If there is issue, then i would like to suggest to contact Fibaro partner for your country. They could report it through their dedicated channel with higher priority.

10 minutes ago, speedy said:

Even if there is an SDK problem, its still Faros devices and so they should fix it and they can.

How can they make change in SDK provided by Sigma (now Silabs) and passing certification process in Z-Wave alliance.

6 minutes ago, jakub.jezek said:

So, what you suggest is to poll device periodically regarding associations, right?

Yes, a setting will be too complicated for the average user so, for arguments sake lets say 1 time every day.

And by this saving association, to some kind of associations table for system doing comparison, right? Ok, but this is still some workarround. It's not fix. .Easy fix would be RGBW with Z-Wave chip 500 (last SDK is 6.81) or Z-Wave chip 700 (SDK 7).

Yes its a workaround, as there is no "fix".

It is a workaround that works so i would consider this a fix as there would be no more ghosting.

But i agree with you, replace the chip is the best solution, but for all the devices out there, we need a workaround.

That is not true. I'm in contact with Fibaro regarding some issues and i can assure you, they are working on it. If there is issue, then i would like to suggest to contact Fibaro partner for your country. They could report it through their dedicated channel with higher priority.

I have been using Fibaro since 2013, i am a certified installer and have been in contact with Fibaro so many times over the years.

Also in close contact with my countrys official supplier and have visited their office many times and reported, reported, reported.

Still over a year later we still have the same freeze issues with Fibaro API for example.

I have been ignored so many times over the years, sending logs, video, code examples etc.

Finally they just stop answering (after they say you have polling enabled or my favourite " You should decrease all reports – wake ups, energy measurements, temperature etc. It is necessary.that is the problem or similar)

You then show that you have 20 reports per day in energy for every device and have polling set for 4000 sec and almost no temp reports but still have the same issues with freeze, then you hear nothing back.

I have my own company and smart home business so this is VERY close to my heart.

My final straw was when the freeze issue entered the system in november 2017 and has not been fixed since even with a crazy amount of reports.

So i can assure you, they are not working on it and it's been proven to me over and over again.

I no longer install Fibaro because of it since nov 2017, only for a selected people where i can explain that it has issues, and are you OK with this happening?

As evidence, that Ghosting thread is now over 2 YEARS old, and there is still not a workaround provided from Fibaro even with workarounds provided to them.

Why?

How can they make change in SDK provided by Sigma (now Silabs) and passing certification process in Z-Wave alliance.

They don't have to (and cant).

I have supplied a fix to my customers with ghosting issues using the LUA code, so can Fibaro.

We shouldn't have to do this stuff, Fibaro should.

19 minutes ago, speedy said:

Still over a year later we still have the same freeze issues with Fibaro API for example.

I have been ignored so many times over the years, sending logs, video, code examples etc.

Finally they just stop answering (after they say you have polling enabled or my favourite " You should decrease all reports – wake ups, energy measurements, temperature etc. It is necessary.that is the problem or similar)

You then show that you have 20 reports per day in energy for every device and have polling set for 4000 sec and almost no temp reports but still have the same issues with freeze, then you hear nothing back.

I can relate to that. I have a PM with a few dedicated long time users (> 50 - 100 modules) and you know that advice about reducing power reporting comes from me and it really helps certain cases - never got any cooperation from Fibaro though (*).

I keep digging... With these people. Now is probably not the right time to bother Fibaro with "delays" and "freezes" again because all of these people updating to 4.530 to test the new app.

If I recall correctly... Weren't you in one of my previous PMs?

(*) Edit: I am talking about official channels to main office. Fibaro installers and country-specific (support) people have been participating all along.

Edited by petergebruers

On 1/11/2019 at 2:39 PM, petergebruers said:

I can relate to that. I have a PM with a few dedicated long time users (> 50 - 100 modules) and you know that advice about reducing power reporting comes from me and it really helps certain cases - never got any cooperation from Fibaro though (*).

Yes, you are surely right.

I found devices with troubles thanks to your fantastic script, so thank you for that!

And it also shows the importance of this advice, but without your script i would never "know" for sure.

Now that i think about it, this should be a standard feature built in to Fibaro firmware.

If a device is sending > then X reports during Y amount of time then give a error message in the GUI.

Just as when scenes execute over the MAX scene count.

After adjusting the whole system and showing that result to Fibaro and still having the same issues, well then the advice is still good, but something else is happening.

I keep digging... With these people. Now is probably not the right time to bother Fibaro with "delays" and "freezes" again because all of these people updating to 4.530 to test the new app.

When is the right time :-)?

If I recall correctly... Weren't you in one of my previous PMs?

You you are right, but due to my settings and all the lovely people trying to solve issues it flooded my work inbox, so i accidentally  unsubscribed from the thread and now i can't seem to get back :-(

*Sorry for my late reply, work, life and other things got in the way. :-) 

On 1/23/2019 at 4:39 PM, speedy said:

accidentally  unsubscribed from the thread and now i can't seem to get back :-(

Do not worry, all conclusions of that private topic are in the comments of the latest version of my script. Here it is:

Please login or register to see this attachment.

That script looks at power reporting specifically because those records are stored separate from other events.

For a more general analysis of events, I recommend:

1 hour ago, petergebruers said:

Do not worry, all conclusions of that private topic are in the comments of the latest version of my script. Here it is:

Thank you, installed directly, i had a previous version before.

It has really helped me in finding devices with trouble!

Fantastic work from your side!

1 hour ago, petergebruers said:

For a more general analysis of events, I recommend:

Wow, amazing.

This is what Fibaro should have done from the start along with your script.

Hopefully Fibaro makes all these features standard under the "diagnostics panel" in the GUI.

But, i will not get my hopes up :-)

The users on this forum delivers above and beyond of what we have been asking from Fibaro for years.