Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Troubleshooting RGBW associations

Rait

Question

So I've been battling the RGBW issue for months now. Decided to make a virtual to monitor and notify me if rogue associations pop up on any of my RGBW's. Since the biggest annoyance is that you can't just open the RGBW module and see if there are extra associations, but you need to make the HC2 to specifically query current associations list from the device to see them, then that's wxactly what the VD does. It queries all my RGBW's for associations, then if it finds more than 1 device in any association group, it sends me an e-mail.

The VD has one button and one label. The label displays output data and button does the work. I also have a scene pressing that button once a day.

Been getting about 2-4 e-mails every week so far.

Please login or register to see this code.

Guest Kuuno

The deviceid's must be rgbw MAIN device ID!! the one that is hidden. To get into bottom of this can You post at what period do you get bad associations, then we can see if there is any similarity

Great post, also had this problem so this was a nice way to check!

I took the liberty of adding the function so that the VD automatically gets all the RGBW Parent ID´s.

So its now all automatic (except adding the correct user for sending E-mail)

• Inquirer
  • Nice addition, Speedy! 

Now if someone could figure out how HC2 wants the association group json string formatted, so that we could PUT back corrected values... then it would be all automated

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Guest Kuuno

we tested this various ways but could not get it, yes if someone finds a way then would be very good! thanks for addition also!!

Glad i could help a little, you did all the heavy lifting 

/emoticons/default_icon_biggrin.gif" alt=":-D" />

And good luck finding the PUT command for doing it automatically, thats way above my knowledge

/emoticons/default_icon_idea.gif" alt=":idea:" />  

• Inquirer
  • Got another notification today. 

/emoticons/default_icon_neutral.gif" alt=":-|" />

• Inquirer
  • Another thing I have noticed. From time to time, the RGBW device loses all its association groups. They (all 5 of them) just disappear and it's not possible to create new groups. In this case the only solution is to reconfigure the device.

Another thing I have noticed. From time to time, the RGBW device loses all its association groups. They (all 5 of them) just disappear and it's not possible to create new groups. In this case the only solution is to reconfigure the device.

I got this actually just once, but i got this when i went from 4.083 beta back to 4.080.

Then my LUA code stopped working because the status of the RGBW devices stopped reporting back to the HC2.

Soft reconfig and adding the associations manually worked for me. 

So, i guess this is a bug.

Guest Kuuno

yes the virtual also detects this! we are getting a lot of these now, anyone else? we are trying to monitor if there are any similar dates, times when this happens or totally random

• Inquirer
  • Kuuno managed to crack the PUT mystery 

/emoticons/default_icon_cool.gif" alt="8-)" />

The trick is, that you need to use the actual "View" values when sending association data. So if your device currently has multiple associations stored, you can't just tell it "store these new values."

Instead you need to be polite and say "I know you currently have these values stored: XXXXXX. But how about storing these values instead: YYYYY?"

I made some changes in the verify() function to store the view values for later use. Then added a new function assocData() to use those values and put together the needed string.

I also redid the label updating to be more verbose and give better feedback on what the device is currently doing.

Speedy, I included your automated ID search at first, but then removed it. The reason is that now when we're actually letting the VD send new associations, it becomes necessary to be able to exclude those devices that actually have associations we do want.

If someone has loads of RGBW's, it might make sense to use an array of "ExceptionIDs" instead of "deviceIDs" and then use the automated search with that.

Anyways, looks like I won't have to be doing daily cleanings manually anymore

/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Thanks Kuuno!

Kuuno managed to crack the PUT mystery 

/emoticons/default_icon_cool.gif" alt="8-)" />

Great work! 

/emoticons/default_icon_biggrin.gif" alt=":-D" />

Although not satisfying, it is slightly reassuring when things that have made me go MAD for months on end now have a plausible explanation.

Thanks everyone who contributed to figuring this out!

• Inquirer
  • The RGBW issue still persists in version 4.110

And in 4.180!!  It appears that these rogue associations are to non-existent devices. And in my case they were flooding the network. It was slowing down so much that we needed multiple reboots.

Thanks, I am keen to get this running to monitor it at first.

On 6/16/2018 at 12:53 AM, RohitNz said:

And in 4.180!!  It appears that these rogue associations are to non-existent devices. And in my case they were flooding the network. It was slowing down so much that we needed multiple reboots.

Thanks, I am keen to get this running to monitor it at first.

I can confirm, have the same situation in 2 different systems (have only checked 2).

Associations to non existing devices and to exsistign devices.

I thought this bug was squashed..

Edited by speedy

42 minutes ago, speedy said:

I can confirm, have the same situation in 2 different systems (have only checked 2).

(...)

I thought this bug was squashed..

Nope. See:

6 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

Nope. See:

Good lord, how many years is it now that this bug has not been unresolved?!

I guess the HC2 freeze issue and system freeze with fibaro:killScenes() command will take the same amount of time.

Its been 7 months since those bug where introduced.

21 hours ago, speedy said:

Good lord, how many years is it now that this bug has not been unresolved?!

Hello,

There is nothing much Fibaro could do with this, becouse there is relation with Home ID and Associations Group on that RGBWs. That is part of SDK, that runs on RGBW module.

Fibaro prepares some upgrade for RGBW modules that should reduce or eliminate phantoms. But rock solid sollution would be introducing RGBW module on series 500 or series 700 chip.

Introducing new product is long process since there is needed certifications (IEC, FCC, Z-Wave alliance, ...) from many authorities and beta test with beta testers to see, if issue is resolved. Till then patch is needed.

Regards,

Jakub

23 minutes ago, jakub.jezek said:

Hello,

There is nothing much Fibaro could do with this, becouse there is relation with Home ID and Associations Group on that RGBWs. That is part of SDK, that runs on RGBW module.

Hi Jakub.

Thank you for the answer, now i know that i always need to implement control code on every HC2 ever that has used a RGBW device, i did not know that.

Regarding there is little Fibaro can do.

Well, i beg to differ, it is a very easy fix.

The problem is known and the above VD fixes the problem.

(A user had to fix it as Fibaro didn't, this can easily be implemented in the HC2 Firmware)

Its just to introduce a (2nd) variable that stores the associations in the HC2 and compares to the actual association.

If there is a difference between them well, change back to "normal" stored values as the change did not come form user interaction.

The default values is always used (i have not heard of any ghost associations when configuring association) unless when you manually enter them and then they are stored in the 2 comparable variable. 

Done!

Edited by speedy

13 minutes ago, speedy said:

Well, i beg to differ, it is a very easy fix.

Really, then why some of my customers has to run it every day and still experiencing phantoms? (sorry for sarcasm)

15 minutes ago, speedy said:

The problem is known and the above VD fixes the problem.

(A user had to fix it as Fibaro didn't, this can easily be implemented in the HC2 Firmware)

I'm using scene provided by Fibaro. It's code is here:

19 minutes ago, speedy said:

Its just to introduce a (2nd) variable that stores the associations in the HC2 and compares to the actual association.

If there is a difference between them well, change back to "normal" stored values as the change did not come form user interaction.

The default values is always used (i have not heard of any ghost associations when configuring association) unless when you manually enter them and then they are stored in the 2 comparable variable.

OK. Variable for storing associations sounds great. We could make fusion of Fibaro scene and VD, since in scene provided by Fibaro are functions, that are not discribed anywhere. Such as