Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

looking for outdoor motion sensor recommendation

AutoFrank

Question

Hi,

I'm looking for a recommendation for a reliable outdoor motion sensor

I have 2 everspring SP103 units and since batteries don't like the cold, I'm running them on an external 5v supply but they are very unreliable. I've tried to set the parameter to "not sleep" but no luck.

Does anybody know of a mains powered outdoor zwave sensor ( so it doesn't go to sleep like a battery one) or one that can be powered from a USB port like the (aeotec multisensor - 2015)

Is the aeotec multisensor reliable or does anybody have some other suggestions

.. or perhaps I'm just not using the SP103 correctly

Thanks

-F

9 answers to this question

Currently using two of those Everspring SP103 (on batteries) myself as well.

One of them seems reliable as to where the other was often reported as dead. After z-wave mesh rebuilding it (seems) to work (so far - fingers crossed/fiercely knocking on wood/etc

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> )

If there are other ones I would be interested as well.

Guest fat

What about something like this? It has a dry context output which you could possibly connect to a binary sensor

Please login or register to see this link.

• Inquirer
  • What about something like this? It has a dry context output which you could possibly connect to a binary sensor

Please login or register to see this link.

interesting one

I took one of my SP103 and gave it a slightly bigger USB PSU and reset/re-included it so I'll see how I go with that 

perhaps I could also check if it was dead and issue a 'reactivate' through a scene

It's looks like there aren't many of these types of device on the market

I have been using the Aeon Labs multisensor for a few years successfully. I am living in Sweden so the winter is somewhat cold. However, when it broke down about a year ago I contacted support. Reasoning that it was mounted under a roof outdoor I claimed it must have been a product issue.

The answer I got was that any temperatures below 10 degrees C is extreme and not supported.

Subsequently I am also looking for a better solution....

Just a status update on my SP103:

after "re-meshing" the z-wave network, then one which went dead before is up and running for some days now. The other one is operating without problems from the beginning.

so far it seems ok to use them.

just use the fibaro motion sensor

I'm using them under a small roof without any issue. If necessary you can make a power supply that connects to the batt. terminals.

• Inquirer
  • I took my 2 SP103 and reset them, soldered cables to the pcb from a 2 m good quality USB lead and hey presto they seem to be stable for the last week or so. I'm now thinking that they got a bit messed up with a previous HC2 revision update and I didn't notice it. 

I'll keep track of them a bit better now and see how they do.

Of all the sensors this is one gap that seems to exist across the suppliers..

...more later

-F