Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Smoke Sensor FGSD-002 test

Guest BuffyP

Question

Guest BuffyP

Hi,

I have a smoke sensor FGSD-002 in my house from Fibaro.

It is placed close to the kitchen and I have seen that everytime I upgrade the system I get an alarm due to that the temperature has changed rapidly and that is OK (could be imporved but that is fine).

So why do I write here??

Today we forgot our boiling water with some plastic things in and the smoke startad!!... OOPPS! The alarm whent off in the 'non-fibaro' smoke sensors  (we have as additionals to our fibaro system, yes we are a little paranoid as we have 1 in each room).

I ran into the house removed the pot from the stove (no fire, only heavy smoke from the plastic that was covering the Fibaro smoke sensor) and then started to open all the windows in all the rooms to get rid of the smoke... During this time there was a lot of alarms from all the other smoke detectores (not fibaro), but as there are so many I am not sure.. So I looked into the fibaro system and I couldn't see any notifications.

So my question is, Shouldn't I get an alarm/notification to my fibaro system as there was a lot of smoke??

Sorry, I am not trusting the smoke sensor today as I can't see anything as a notification in my system. 

Have anybody else had problems with the smoke sensor or have had any experiense that I have had, but with a correct alarm to the system?

Have anybody tested the smoke sensor and how, because I feel that I need to test it now to gain trust in the stuff again.

The system I have is a HC2 with the latest upgrade.

/P

4 answers to this question

Guest BuffyP
  • Inquirer
  • Observe that I am using all the default settings and have not changed them.

/P

I just bought 3 smoke sensors and unpacked them and tested with smoke from matches and burning paper. They didn't react on smoke from matches. It took a lot of smoke from the paper before it reacted.

These are not trustworthy?

Similar result as this video I found on youtube:

Hi @daffyq,

Sorry, but I never heard of testing smoke detectors with matches or paper, but my Fibaro smoke sensor was tested with real burn of toast in toaster that get stuck. For me that is real test with real possibility.

I remember that normal cigarette smoke will not trigger it except if maybe testers face get green, but once we tested some smoke detectors with smoke from cigar, Cuban if possible, and that smoke triggered them without problem and our faces didn't have to get green. That is of course only to be used when there is no more test spray cans.

I would try something like this:

Please login or register to see this link.

Those sprays are used by guys, that doing Security alarm to test such detectors. When i tested some FGSD-002 with it, then they reacted in a seconds (up to 3 sec in my case). And it also depends on level sensitivity.