Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

FGMS001 Motion sensor false alarms

wpeeters

Question

Hi, I recently updated both HCL to latest version as well as the FGMS001 Motion sensor to the latest firmware.

Since that update, I already received 3 times fals alerts causing the sirene to activate.

Almost all settings are default except for parameter 40. Does anyone has an idea what can be wrong? Anything to do with the upgrades. According to me, it is.

20 answers to this question

Hi, I recently updated both HCL to latest version as well as the FGMS001 Motion sensor to the latest firmware.

Since that update, I already received 3 times fals alerts causing the sirene to activate.

Almost all settings are default except for parameter 40. Does anyone has an idea what can be wrong? Anything to do with the upgrades. According to me, it is.

Hello,

To be sure, the alarm is triggered when the Motion notices movement?

Where is the Motion Sensor installed?

• Inquirer
  • Hello,

To be sure, the alarm is triggered when the Motion notices movement?

Where is the Motion Sensor installed?

I don't know what triggered the alarm. No movement for sure because nobody was in the house.

If you mean what the trigger was according to the alarm panel, yes it is movement.

It's installed in a room in my house. In a corner of 2 walls. But never had problems before.

I don't know what triggered the alarm. No movement for sure because nobody was in the house.

If you mean what the trigger was according to the alarm panel, yes it is movement.

It's installed in a room in my house. In a corner of 2 walls. But never had problems before.

Hello,

Note that this is a PIR sensor (passive infra red) so it detects changes of temperature. If it is pointed at any sources of heat it can detect "movement".

Do you have another Motion Sensor that you can install in the same place to see if it detects movement there as well?

• Inquirer
  • No other motion sensor available. It's not pointing to any heating device neither close to any window. Nevertheless, in case it happen again I'll check at what temperature the motion was activated.

Guest fat

I had a motion sensor that worked perfectly and then for no reason started getting stuck in breached after movement and would also have false movement detection. I had it replaced because it was faulty and the new one has worked perfectly ever since

• Inquirer
  • Hello,

Note that this is a PIR sensor (passive infra red) so it detects changes of temperature. If it is pointed at any sources of heat it can detect "movement".

Do you have another Motion Sensor that you can install in the same place to see if it detects movement there as well?

Again another false alarm occurred. I checked my room temperature and there was no sudden increase as far I can see.

It's not stuck, it seems to work ok but also, after the FW upgrade, it seems to be more sensitive. I'm wondering which settings I best can change?

Maybe a long shot, have you checked for spiders?

If a spider lives behind the sensor and crawls over it, it can be seen as movement if the spider is big enough.

@T.Konopka, are the sensors anti mask?

• Inquirer
  • I don't think it's spiders. Unless FW upgrade inserted one into the sensor 

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_biggrin.gif" alt=":-D" />

I am not sure how is your environment and setup of the motion sensor. Just share what I have experienced based on mine and hope I can describe it well enough to illustrate.

FGMS001 can be rather sensitive. I have one in the common bathroom (Yes, I stay in an apartment) which sort of face in between shower area and rest of the bathroom. Due to design of the bathroom, there are two windows and one happens to be facing my neighbour's unit. Initially, we keep having the some random false-activation of this bathroom lights, esp late at night (midnight or 1-3am). Initially, I thought it was the scene having error, then thought the FGMS001 is faulty. After much troubleshoot and observation whenever it happens, in the end, it was just that the FGMS001 is sensitive enough to pick up heat-signature from my neighbour's unit (~5m away). What I think happened is that late at night, it is dark outside and most of the light sources are off, when my neighbour switch on the light to his kitchen (with window open), FGMS001 picks it up and detect as motion breached. I have since adjusted the facing of FGMS001 a little more downwards and applied a mild frosted film over the window (still love the nature light coming in, save energy). No more false positive since.

Edited by chaicka

• Inquirer
  • Hi Chaicka. At the opposite wall of the motion sensor, there is a window. Maybe is has something to do with shadows or sun. I'll keep an eye on it. For the time being, I've changed paramter 1 (this parameter determines the sensitivity of the PIR sensor).

I bought 3 sensors, from the beginning two of them were giving false motion alert I thought that is because of the wrong configuration but after resetting, removing re-adding reducing sensitivity, changing the location, putting them in drawer and resetting them to default settings still had that problem, then I returned them back and got a new replacement  they are still working but recently I got false motion report with the other older one (means from 3 new sensors I have purchased all of them giving false PIR motion detection)

so what I am thinking Fibaro motion sensor is not reliable  I excluded the fibaro  motion devices from my security alarm system, for me the other cheaper brand is more reliable and have included them into my alarm system

this Fibaro MultiSensor is a Masterpiece I really like them  but motion sensor is not reliable at all, Fibaro please fix this important issue

• Inquirer
  • hi @JEAU, not good to hear you have so much problems. In my case, after changing parameter 1 (sensitivity) I never had any false alarm anymore since then.
    The most recent trigger that fired the alarm was when the kids left the cat in our house. So, with regards to reliability, for me it is.
    Probably the cause of your problems should be somewhere else. I remember a post on this forum where one bought a Fibaro sensor from Amazon. After sharing the insights of the motion sensor, I think they noticed it was a bad copy.

hey @JEAU,

if possible include them in secure mode. This will make sure you don't get false possitives from wrong data transmissions.

It's not possible on the old version of the motion sensor (Version 2.8 or lower) as they don't support secure mode.

simular issues here (peaks in temperature, sudden motion, all seem to have the same source).

Secure mode looks like this on the device in HC2.

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2018_06/2018-06-07_17-06-20.png.c01fad82f32c97546bf5141e6a55ce53.png" />

BR - kro

Edited by kroeatschge

Hello,

I have the same problems with false alarms.

I my case fals alarms are triggered when battery on motion detector is low.

Instead notifying that battery is low by email , motion detector goes to bridge / arm state.

When I replace the battery, motion works normaly until battery is not low.

The problem is only on Fibaro motion detectors.

Just ignore all answers (however well-meant) about the position or sensitivity of the PIR-sensor: false triggers are definitely a software bug that hasn't been addressed by Fibaro so far. I have false triggers on the PIR-sensors all the time and they periodical, i.e. occurring at regular intervals, but not all the time, for instance every approx. 4020 seconds. One sensor  also sends false triggers in pairs, with 4 or 5 second intervals.

I have a lot of experience with (other) PIR-sensors and yes, they can be tripped by a large, glass window that is moving because of a heavy storm, or because a pet animal gets within range. But these causes are easy to find and, if necessary, solved. Both my sensors are mounted in places where there is no thermal disturbance (not even ghosts) possible that can trigger a PIR; on one location I've had a Marmitek X-10 PIR sensor for 15 years without even a single false trigger!

Be sure, it is one of the many bugs in Fibaro software/firmware. The Fibaro hardware is beautiful, but their software skills suck big time.

Im totally over this junk sensor, seriously.

The PIR is utter rubbish - i get false motion ALL the time, yet monitoring the room with a webcam theres nothing.

I have several sensors in my house but guess what? Only problems caused by Fibaro ones. Especially new versions do behave strange (false alarms, fast battery drain, sometimes stuck in beached for several hours. On the other side, china sensor (ebay) is already 2nd year on battery with 100% functionality. No temperature report, but it works like it supposed to wotk.

I've excluded one of my Fibaro FGMS001 sensors from my security again. Thought I resolved the false breaches after upgrading to the latest firmware, but last night, at about 2:30AM there was again alarm and the siren woke us. Luckely, the children kept sleeping regardless of the siren. After having had bad luck with 2 smoke sensors, also false positives, and doorsensors breaking down,  I'm not sure if I'll ever buy Fibaro again, or even tell friends to buy Fibaro.

I've excluded my FGMS001 for the same reason. I have also disabled them from my 'nightlight' scene as they were making the lights come on. Now I have a NEST Protect in the hallway after replacing Fibaro smoke detector and use the light feature of that to light the hallway when its the middle of the night. Door sensors seem to be the only Fibaro sensor I have that works solid 100% these days. Even now I've got a Switch 2 that has stopped reporting power properly. Fibaro hardware looks beautiful but doesn't seem to be very rugged :(

Hi guys, 

Did someone solve this problem? I've tried everything I thought, I've been dealing with it for over a year, and we still have fake movement reports in some houses. I noticed that it doesn't make every sensor but mostly one or two in the control unit, the others are ok. I don't know what to do with it anymore.