Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

0-10V Lights using RGBW controller

geeklabs

Question

Has anyone ever connected a 0-10V controller to the RGBW module?

Here's the problem that I am facing:

I have connected a LED strip to the 0-10V controller which is connected to one of the channels of the RGBW module, say White.

The dimming of the strips works great except one issue, it works in the opposite manner. It means that the LED strip goes to 100% brightness when I turn it OFF from the interface and when I turn it to maximum brightness the LED goes OFF.

I have even checked the voltages from the RGBW module. It gives +10v when I turn it OFF from the interface and gives 0v when the slider is set to maximum brightness.

I have got same results on other RGBW modules too. But, I was able to work around a solution on the HC2 using VD & LUA. 

But, I can't figure what I am doing wrong. Is there any way to fix this issue on HCL? 

Please login or register to see this attachment.

5 answers to this question

A LED strip needs a continuous + supply and the - connection is regulated.

So connect the + of the ledstrip to + 10 V and the - of the led strip to the RGBW module.

The strip will not give full power in your situation.

Good luck

• Inquirer
  • A LED strip needs a continuous + supply and the - connection is regulated.

So connect the + of the ledstrip to + 10 V and the - of the led strip to the RGBW module.

The strip will not give full power in your situation.

Good luck

Well, I am using a controller that is taking 24V as input and on the output gives out 24V when the value on the 0-10V is maximum and vice versa. 

What I am doing here is giving the driver varied 0-10V on the basis of which it sends power to the strip. This takes all the load off the RGBW module and puts all the load on the 0-10V controller. Hence, it enables me to connect a load higher than 288W which is the maximum that the RGBW can take.

Hope the image gives some clarity.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by geeklabs

I use this module to convert the signal from RGBW to 0-10 V:

Please login or register to see this link.

"0-10V PWM Digital to Analog Signal Tranformer Converter Module MACH3 PLC"

PWM digital signals into analog signals from 0 to 10V.

Convert PWM digital signal into 0 to 10 v analog signals.

Power Input Range: 12V-30V (Power requirements: more than 100MA)

Signal interface switch can be used for PLC or other industrial control board.

PWM Reception frequency range: 1 KHZ - 3 KHZ.

Current output capacity: 10MA.

Resolution: 0.1V.

Usage: by adjusting the potentiometer board, can match the calibration of PWM signals of different frequency pulse

PWM signal input level range:

4.5V to 10V peak to peak level, jumper inserted at 5V. This type signal mainly for conventional industrial control card (such as MACH3 board), for 5V the CPU interface.

12 to 24V peak to peak level, jumper inserted at 24V. This type signal mainly for conventional PLC interface

Responding to an old post, because a user contacted me about this issues and I realized that I never really answered the first question:

On 8/30/2016 at 12:47 PM, geeklabs said:

The dimming of the strips works great except one issue, it works in the opposite manner.

So setting the RGBW to 0 gives full power, and 99 turns off the light.

That is because the schematic in the previous posts is wrong, it shows the converter input between "output" and "ground" but it should be between "output" and +12V. Make sure your converter has a floating input (opto-coupler) like the one I've used:

Here is the corrected schematic, click on the "spoiler" to see it (that is a forum rule):

Please login or register to see this spoiler.

• Thanks 1

On 3/2/2019 at 4:17 PM, petergebruers said:

Responding to an old post, because a user contacted me about this issues and I realized that I never really answered the first question:

So setting the RGBW to 0 gives full power, and 99 turns off the light.

That is because the schematic in the previous posts is wrong, it shows the converter input between "output" and "ground" but it should be between "output" and +12V. Make sure your converter has a floating input (opto-coupler) like the one I've used:

Here is the corrected schematic, click on the "spoiler" to see it (that is a forum rule):

Please login or register to see this spoiler.

Thank you very much for your help..