Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Somfy RTS

Atavius

Question

Hi guys,

I am considering Fibaro as my home automation platform and am I wondering if it will work with my Somfy RTS blinds. I searched the forum, but found only old threads that mentions either

Please login or register to see this link.

that is sold only in US and no one apparently tested if th works with Fibaro or use something like RFXtrx433E that apparently can work with Fibaro using RabsPI as bridge. So my question is if something changed or to be more precise what is the best way to implement Somfy RTS into Fibaro.

Hi guys,

at first I apologize for my bad English. It's been a long time since the last post on the forum in this case, in fact can anyone have a solution, can you control Somfy RTS blinds with the latest FIBARO HC3? FIBARO HC3 also supports 433 MHZ frequency now, HC2 did not support this frequency. If anyone would have a solution, please post it in the forum. Thank you all very much.

Best regards, Edik

• Like 5

Guest fat

7 hours ago, defenders said:

I'm also interested in this, it seems almost impossible to buy blinds now that are compatible with the fibaro Roller Shutter module. All manufacturers seem to use Somfy RTS nowadays.

I used somfy sonesse motors when I installed motorised blinds as they are a simple 4 wire motor that would work with the roller shutter module

I have a solution that is low cost if you're handy. Just set this up today.

I bought a 3rd party remote off ebay (

). Very easy to program it as a second remote. Then took the cover off and soldered wires to the switch. Connected to a fibaro relay. Done. Works like a charm. I set a parameter on the relay to switch off after a second so it acts as a push button.

Let me know if you want more info and I'll type up a doc.

• Like 1

• Inquirer
  • 3 hours ago, Dave P said:

I have a solution that is low cost if you're handy. Just set this up today.

I bought a 3rd party remote off ebay (

). Very easy to program it as a second remote. Then took the cover off and soldered wires to the switch. Connected to a fibaro relay. Done. Works like a charm. I set a parameter on the relay to switch off after a second so it acts as a push button.

Let me know if you want more info and I'll type up a doc.

So if I understand correctly your setup is using fibaro shutter module that is connected to the remote which then sends signal to motor? If so, does it work with multiple motors or do you need to have separate remote/fibaro shutter module for each motor you want to operate separately? 

Any idea if RFXtrx433E is still incompatible directly with Fibaro?

Also is there some reason why Somfy Z-WAVE integration module should not be working in EU when imported from US?

Hi, the RFXtrx433e is still not compatible with the HC2. However, with a Raspberry Pi, running Domoticz, you can control the RFX. Then make a virtual device on the HC2 to make calls to the RPi. I made this setup last month to control 5 Somfy outdoor screens, works flawless.

9 hours ago, Atavius said:

So if I understand correctly your setup is using fibaro shutter module that is connected to the remote which then sends signal to motor? If so, does it work with multiple motors or do you need to have separate remote/fibaro shutter module for each motor you want to operate separately? 

Any idea if RFXtrx433E is still incompatible directly with Fibaro?

Also is there some reason why Somfy Z-WAVE integration module should not be working in EU when imported from US?

Hi Atavius

I bought a 4 button remote so can control up to 4 motors. I am using a standard dual relay, not a shutter control. The relay allows me to connect to two buttons hence can control 2 motors. I could add another relay but at this stage it is doing all I need. I control all blinds with 1 button and the blinds over our door with another.

As Wimjanse says there are other ways to do this which allow easier expansion and no extra cost. The method I took was running in 10 minutes and all up cost under $100AUD. The relay was $89 and the remote $15. The other method looked a bit complicated but obviously achievable if you have the time and wherewithal. 

Dave

• Inquirer
  • On 9/29/2016 at 7:18 PM, Wimjanse said:

Hi, the RFXtrx433e is still not compatible with the HC2. However, with a Raspberry Pi, running Domoticz, you can control the RFX. Then make a virtual device on the HC2 to make calls to the RPi. I made this setup last month to control 5 Somfy outdoor screens, works flawless.

Hi Wimjanse,

sound interesting. What is the range of the RFX? And also is your solution stable? And is there any word from Fibaro if they plan to support it directly?

Hi Atavius,

the range in my place is more than 12 m, through a concrete wall. Solution has been absolutely stable over the last 6 weeks since I implemented this, no problem what so ever.

I don't know whether Fibaro is going to support the RFX in future, but the solution with the RPi/RFX is known since 2 years, and they have not taken any action/notice of this. But if they do, I could simply connect the RFX to the HC2 , only cost would then the RPi which would become obsolete (about 30 euro), so no big deal, and I can always use the RPi for something else. Note that the HC2 never can control the Somfy's direct, as the Somfy RTS protocol uses the 433 MHz frequency, while Z-wave uses something like 833.

If you are interested, I'm happy to share my "manual" and Virtual Device with you.

Cheers,

• Thanks 1

To Atavius, 

by the way, on your earlier question on using US imported materials, note that those are NOT compatible, as US and EU are using different frequencies.

Dear Wim,

I need to control 10 drapes in my home.

Fortunately I read your post about the Z-Wave to Radio Technology Somfy Interface (ZRTSI): Cat. No. 1811265. and that it's NOT working on EU products because of the frequency difference. 

I read 2 solutions here:

1 - Solding

Your solution is this the same as described here? 

I would need:

5x  FIBARO - Relay Switch 2x1,5kw (https://www.robbshop.nl/inbouwschakelaar-2x1-5-kw-zwave-plus-met-stroommeting)
    3x http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/182202217874 (3x 4channel =  12 channels).
    This would cost me approx 300+30=330 euro's.

2 -  Raspberry Pi, running Domoticz, controlling the RFXtrx433e

I would need:

1x Rasberry Pi (I already have, and now it might do something useful).

1x RFXtrx433e (

)

This would cost me approx 110,-

My questions are:

1. option 2 is cheaper, but you have a step-by-step manual, right? Would it be possible to share this with me?

2. how do the drapes (or sunscreens) appear in the fibaro hc software?

3. ...is it idiot/wife/kids proof...???

Thanks in advance for your reaction, groetjes, Maarten.

Hi Maarten,

I do not use the ZRTSI from Somfy, as indeed it is not working on Somfy EU products. My solution is NOT the solution given by RobbShop in your reference 1, this works for one control only, although I have seen similar solutions with an additional wire soldered to the select button of a Somfy remote, so that you can control the screen selection button as well (up to 5 channels).

I do use the Raspberry Pi in combination with the RFXtrx433e.

I have attached my step-by-step manual (which is in Dutch, but looking at your name that should be OK. For others, let me know, I can easily provide an English version as well).

Perhaps a bit short, but let me know if not clear. The Domoticz codes on the bottom of the manual page are the ones I selected for the five screens).

My 5 sunscreens are controlled by a virtual device in the HC2 (note, it involves some LUA code, so this will not work with a HCL), see attached TIFF screen capture for how the VD looks like. The top button is for bringing all 5 screens up with one button, next row is for screens 1-2-3-4-5 up (individual), next row of buttons to stop motion of individual screens, next to lower individual screens. Last row lowers my screens 2+3+4. All this can be easily changed by making minor modifications in the LUA code.

By the way, with the RFX you can control up to 24 channels, so you should be ok for the 10 drapes (and I want to expand in the near future, presently controlling only my outdoor sunscreens, but want to add future indoor Luxaflex Duettes (with Somfy motors) as well).

It works fine for me, but also my wife is using it all the time, this should answer your point :-) .

It is quite similar to other controls in the Fibaro app, so quite intuitive, just a set of extra buttons.

Let me know if this is clear, happy to explain further if so required, I can give the file with the VD as well, if you would need this.

Cheers / Groet,

Wim

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by Wimjanse
    Small clarification in text

I've also been looking at Somfy blind integration, and my understanding is that the Fibaro roller-shutter controller needs to be used with a WT variant of the Somfy motors - e.g. Sonesse 40 WT.  Although, from browsing around most powered-blind companies only offer blinds using the RTS variant as I guess they're more mainstream.  

If I am able to purchase a powered-blind, but without the Somfy RTS motor - presumably, I should be able to purchase the WT variant separately and fit this instead?  Obviously with the required fibaro module and control switch.....

Note that this will then be a fully wired solution internally in the blinds, so you have to see whether you can fit the Fibaro roller shutter in the frame of the blind. I don't know whether you can buy the WT motors separate, but you can obviously check with your reseller.

The option I describe is does not need any adaptions to the blinds, but only work with Somfy RTS motors.

Hi Kfruechtl,

Herewith the English version of the manual.

(Please bear with me, English is not my mother-tongue).

As always, happy to answer any questions you might have. The Somfy control still works great with me.

Edited by Wimjanse
    Corrected an error in the attached file

Hi Wim,

Long time no speak.

I have bought the RFX and i can control the curtains via the Domoticz

http://192.168.1.42:8080/json.htm?type=command&param=switchlight&idx=1&switchcmd=On

http://192.168.1.42:8080/json.htm?type=command&param=switchlight&idx=1&switchcmd=Stop

http://192.168.1.42:8080/json.htm?type=command&param=switchlight&idx=1&switchcmd=Off

they all work from my browser; I receive json back and the curtain goes up and down (yeahhhh!!)

Please login or register to see this code.

Problem is that the virtual button from the Fibaro HC2 does not start the device.

I exported the virtual device (as an attachement).

Am I overlooking something?

hope to hear from you,

Maarten

Ps1: The only thing what I cannot test at the moment is: ping the raspberryPi from the HC2 

Ps2:I also made a typo (on purpose) to check if the script was executed > and it immediately raised an error. And with your example it does not raise anything :)

--------------------------

{"name":"test","type":"virtual_device","properties":{"deviceIcon":0,"currentIcon":"0","log":"","logTemp":"","mainLoop":"","visible":"true","rows":[{"type":"button","elements":[{"id":1,"lua":true,"waitForResponse":false,"caption":"DOWN","name":"Button11","empty":false,"msg":"PI3 = Net.FHttp(\"192.168.1.42\",8080)\nr,s,e=PI3:GET(\"json.htm?type=command&param=switchlight&idx=1&switchcmd=On\")\nfibaro:sleep(1000)\nfibaro:call(209,\"setProperty\",\"currentIcon\",254)","buttonIcon":0,"favourite":false,"main":true}]}]},"actions":{"pressButton":1,"setSlider":2,"setProperty":2}}

Hi Maarten,

Nice to hear the RFS / RasPi combination is working. As you can give commands through a browser, it should be possible to access from the HC2 as well. (Assuming it is not the browser on the RasPi itself, but from another computer. If not, there might be an issue with authorization settings on the RasPi, but I do not think this is the issue).

However, I noted a few things from the VD you attached.

1) In the VD, on the page with the General tab, you have to add the IP address (your192.168.1.42) and the port number again (8080)

2) In the Advanced tab, there is a small error in the second line (with the PI3:GET function. Between the first " and the text json, add a / , so the code reads: r,s,e=PI3:GET("/json.htm?type=command&param=switchlight&idx=1&switchcmd=On")   .  This is indeed a mistake in my small manual that I will correct.

3) You can (temporary) delete the lines with fibaro:sleep and fibaro:call. Either delete them or comment them out by putting -- before all text (on both lines). What those two lines do is pausing the VD 1 second (1000 milliseconds) and then putting the original icon back on the main screen of the VD. For this, the VD's ID number is 209, the Icon ID is 254. For you, those ID's are most likely different, so delete those lines for the moment. If you want to add those back later, you can find the ID's by looking at the address/URL line in your browser while having the VD active. If you click the address line, the abbreviated line expands and shows the ID of the VD (at least, this is how it works on my iMac running Safari as a browser). With your VD having different ID's here, the VD will probably result and error and will not issue the commands to the RasPi/Domoticz server.

4) Make sure you have selected the tick mark LUA on the advanced tab (with me, it changed back to string once, took me a few hours to find out).

Hope this helps, if not, let me know and I try to help you further, if it does help, let me know as well, 

Cheers,

Wim

My expirience with Somfy RTS system (433mhz radio system) is with the Glydea motors which are 24vdc motors and CAN be controlled simply by using a single fibaro relay (the old model with the option to se it as a dry contact). That way we were able to start the closing/opening cycle of the motor but since it acts that way we were not able to stop or possition in a specific percentage the curtains. There are other ways, like to remove the electronics inside and try whit a qubino module for 24vdc motors....That one we have never tested so far but the guys from Somfy will not like for sure....

:-) YEAHHHHH!!

what a little / can change. It works!!

8-) shame I did not noticed this myself... programming 20 hrs per week, aiii aiii.

Many thanks Wim!

I studied this domoticz a bit better and I am really trying to understand why I still have the HC2. 

First configure all the curtains so the girlfriend is happy  :-P:mrgreen: