Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Problems with Motion Sensor ZW5

croostmx

Question

Hi there,

I recently bought another couple of Fibaro Motion Sensors to go with the ones I already had in use.

I never had any problems with the Sensors I had already been using - those were with the old firmware (without ZW5/Zwave Plus) though.

Now the sensors I bought now, the ZW5 ones are producing all kinds of problems that I have no solution for as of now.

I'm not using HC as a Controller, but a Raspberry with IP Symcon.

The biggest problem is that the Sensor is triggering all the time, even when there is no motion at all.
For example in the picture below, it triggers all 10 minutes (that's the cancellation delay, set up in parameter 6) - it goes to FALSE for a second and then reports motion again.

As mentioned, those problems only occur with the sensors that have the new ZW5 firmware.

Did anybody experience something like that or knows how to fix it?
Or is there a way to downgrade the firmware to the penultimate version?

It can't be a sensitivity problem, I have tried covering the sensor completely - and it still behaves like this.

And I have bought 7 of these sensors, same story with all of them.

Happy for any help!

Thanks

14 answers to this question

Hello,

Is your question related to this thread?

Edited by T.Konopka

• Inquirer
  • 2 hours ago, T.Konopka said:

Hello,

Is your question related to this thread?

Hello T,

can you post that thread again? For some reason it doesn't show (only the loading icons is visible)

Thank you!

• Inquirer
  • Looks like I'll have to return all 7 sensors and switch to Aeotec for future customers.

Shame, I really liked them in the past

• Inquirer
  • 35 minutes ago, T.Konopka said:

Hello,

I updated my message. Can you check if the issue is similar?

Thank you, I read that topic before but it isnt really related to my issue.

My issue isnt that the sensor detects motion too frequently (too short blind time), but that it detects motion when there is absolutely no motion.

As mentioned, I have covered the sensors completely with a cloth or put them against a wall - and still they detect motion. And it's not a single sensor, it's seven sensors (all of them have the new firmware - I never had any problems with the old ones).

Is there any possibility to downgrade the firmware? I never had any problems with the older firmware. I have several customer projects running with those sensors and they are working perfectly. I would hate having to switch to a different sensor.

7 minutes ago, croostmx said:

Thank you, I read that topic before but it isnt really related to my issue.

My issue isnt that the sensor detects motion too frequently (too short blind time), but that it detects motion when there is absolutely no motion.

As mentioned, I have covered the sensors completely with a cloth or put them against a wall - and still they detect motion. And it's not a single sensor, it's seven sensors (all of them have the new firmware - I never had any problems with the old ones).

Is there any possibility to downgrade the firmware? I never had any problems with the older firmware. I have several customer projects running with those sensors and they are working perfectly. I would hate having to switch to a different sensor.

Hello,

Can you try the solution from the thread? Change the parameters 2 and 6 for your Motion Sensor. See if it helps.

• Inquirer
  • 29 minutes ago, T.Konopka said:

Hello,

Can you try the solution from the thread? Change the parameters 2 and 6 for your Motion Sensor. See if it helps.

OK I will try it, thank you.

But I have changed these parameters before

• Inquirer
  • 4 hours ago, T.Konopka said:

Hello,

Unfortunately that doesn't solve my problem. It's still not doing what it's supposed to do.

I pretty much ran out of ideas what to try

On 12.10.2016 at 9:33 PM, croostmx said:

Unfortunately that doesn't solve my problem. It's still not doing what it's supposed to do.

I pretty much ran out of ideas what to try

Hello,

It seems that your controller do not communicate properly with the device, but it is just a guess.

Please, contact our Support at [email protected] and explain the issue.

• Inquirer
  • 3 hours ago, T.Konopka said:

Hello,

It seems that your controller do not communicate properly with the device, but it is just a guess.

Please, contact our Support at [email protected] and explain the issue.

Yes, it looks like that's really the problem.

I have contacted the support before, they recommend me to exchange the sensor with the 2.8 one.

Thank you!

Hi,

have You solved your problem ? I have the same problem with my fgms-001 3.2 version. i'm using it with aeotec z-stick gen5 controller that is z-wave+ capable connected to raspberry pi with openhab. i noticed that the sensor is not comunicating with the controller in 2nd and 3rd association group but only in 4th and 5th group. as i understand 4th and 5th are for controllers not supporting z-wave+ so this maybe a clue that something is not ok with the communication.

The behaviour i observe with my sensor depends on the sensivity, when sensivity is high (8 to 12). I noticed that alarm cancelation reports (both temper and motion) triggers motion detection for those high sensivity settings.

WTF ? I haven't seen croostmx reply ... If I saw it earlier I would not have had to deal with poor fibaro tech support ... so changing to 2.8 version should fix the problem.

Dnia 28.10.2016 o 23:34, rozpruwacz napisał:

have You solved your problem ? I have the same problem with my fgms-001 3.2 version. i'm using it with aeotec z-stick gen5 controller that is z-wave+ capable connected to raspberry pi with openhab. i noticed that the sensor is not comunicating with the controller in 2nd and 3rd association group but only in 4th and 5th group. as i understand 4th and 5th are for controllers not supporting z-wave+ so this maybe a clue that something is not ok with the communication.

The behaviour i observe with my sensor depends on the sensivity, when sensivity is high (8 to 12). I noticed that alarm cancelation reports (both temper and motion) triggers motion detection for those high sensivity settings.

Dnia 23.11.2016 o 22:35, rozpruwacz napisał:

WTF ? I haven't seen croostmx reply ... If I saw it earlier I would not have had to deal with poor fibaro tech support ... so changing to 2.8 version should fix the problem.

Hello,

Firstly, why would you assume that there is something wrong with the module and not the controller? Both of you use different controller that are not HC2 or HCL. It is not an easy task for our support to check what cause issues if the controller is not a Fibaro brand. Did you contact Aeotec support regarding the issue? Or did you grumble only on Fibaro? Note that topic's author uses a different controller than you so his issue can be caused by completely something else regarding the same symptoms as both of you use different system environment.

Secondly, I read your conversation with our Support. Our employee offered you assistance, explained how product works and did all what could be done from our side (your attitude in your messages I'll leave without any comment). Why do you imply that you received poor support where you were offered full assistance? Did you finally manage to contact our customer service?

Finally, all of us here on the forum (me, other admins and fibargroup members, and of course other users) are here to assist each other in friendly and professional atmosphere. If you can only use acronyms like "WTF" and complain then maybe you should think about changing your attitude.