Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Heatit thermostat, upgrade from 1.5 to 1.8

andrea.zanantoni@gmail.com

Question

Hi have one Heatit thermostat in version 1.5 and two of them in version 1.8.

I need to update the 1.5 to 1.8 but a cable and a software is requested.

I got the software and the update procedure.

The cable is very expensive, about 70€, is there someone that know the wires schema in order to self-made the cable?

• Inquirer
  • Hi Samuel,

I have found an image of the cable... USB port to connect to the PC and 4 plugs to connect to the thermostat (I have attached the image).

This cable can't costs 70€!!!

I want to try to make it by myself but I need the schema of the wires.

Do you know this schema?

Please login or register to see this attachment.

5 hours ago, [email protected] said:

The cable is very expensive, about 70€, is there someone that know the wires schema in order to self-made the cable?

this (and warranty problem if something get wrong during update) is why we doing fw update for our customers

Edited by tinman

i don't own this cable... but it look like a usb to rs232 converter. USB to RX/TX line with a +5V and GND (4 pins). I don't know which order the pins are. Love to know too.

Changelog:

We dont have an official changelog

But in 1,6 we fixed a bug with the display. It could show a upside down F in the display

1,7 and 1,8 are pretty much the same

Basically we changed what is displayed in display when using room sensor (A)

---------------------------------

see attachment for software update - 

These are my findings:

In the document its is stated that you need to install the usb driver CP210X. if you google this  "CP210X

you will find: CP210x USB to UART Bridge VCP Drivers

Please login or register to see this link.

if you look on aliexpress then you will find this:

Then you only have to know which pin are at which position... (i think you will only need +5V- GND - RX - TX from the module to heatit controller

Greetings

No guarantees of course .

Edited by samuel

On ‎28‎.‎10‎.‎2016 at 4:17 PM, [email protected] said:

Hi Tinman,

could you help us to update the Thermostat?

I have found an USB to CP210x on EBay for 8€. I only need the order of the wires to make the cable and the voltage, probably 5v.

it is CP2103 inside, not CP2102. And no - it is not just usb to uart converter but full programmer with reset, txd, rxd, isp, vio and gnd pins, where the VIO voltage will be controlled by the CP2103. Of course one can clone it, but i can't give you the schematic of it, you might ask Heatit, maybe they don't mind clones.

• Inquirer
  • I have contacted Heatit They told me to call a reseller in France to obtain support.

I understand you cant give me the schema, but try to understand me, I cant pay 130€ forza thermostat and 73€ for that cable.

In 2016 the update must be free and wireless! Fibaro devices follow this way

i don't have a schematic... i am going to give it a try to get this usb to rs232 converter. keep you posted!

2 hours ago, [email protected] said:

I have contacted Heatit They told me to call a reseller in France to obtain support.

I cant pay 130€ forza thermostat and 73€ for that cable.

In 2016 the update must be free and wireless! Fibaro devices follow this way

for sure it would be cheaper to send us to Germany (in case local reseller do not have firmware update possibility) as to buy cable to update one or two thermostates, on the other hand to send each time when new firmware has be released is not cheaper as to buy the programmer cable.

Edited by tinman

2 hours ago, [email protected] said:

I understand you cant give me the schema,

normally i could (i cloned / manufactured lot of programmer or special tools - but only if they are "additional tools" and not products), but in this case i can't as they selling it via distributors, unless Heatit tell me "it's ok"

• Inquirer
  • If Heatit says No, I don't clone your cable.

anyway, not a good idea to create a customized cable instead of a standard USB. aeon labs has a standard usb, fibaro let you update devices wireless.... I will not buy other Heatit thermostats for sure.

next time they will deploy a new firmware... I should send all my thermostats for another update? No thanks

Guest FredrikKarlsson

So, there is no over the air update fascility available for these thermostats in the home center? I thought that was part of the Z-wave plus standard...?

4 hours ago, [email protected] said:

not a good idea to create a customized cable instead of a standard USB.

it is not customized cable but real programmer, this is requested by the programming software (created by other company), which is capable of z-wave chip programming. So there was no other way (except OTA or very expensive z-wave programmer from sigma design - which nobody without sdk license for 1000-2000EUR can use, or bit cheaper one from z-wave.me), so i'm actually happy that Heatit is providing something for "only few $$$" (from company point of view it is cheap, compare to other prices above ^).

Regards clone, there are almost no ready-to-use PCBs with CP2103 on the market (except Eval board from Silabs which costs 30EUR + max. 10eur for the other parts), you can not even take board from CP2102 cheap boards (because exactly these unused pins on CP2102 board are necessary to be used with CP2103), so even if you can solder QFP28 you still need board. Sure, standard QFP28 to DIP adapter + some parts + some work and you will get something for let say 25EUR, but the time you spend on that costs money as well!

Regards OTA, well ask Fibaro how tricky (or *abuse*) OTA can be, when one need to use it for updates of 3rd part microcontrollers, with e.g. 256k flash, connected to z-wave chip. I don't think that this was the reason why Heatit decided to get that way, but probably they simply did what others do - produce -> sell -> update product -> sell new -> replace / update only if customer send (very often) on own costs the product to get updated. Finally don't forget, to program Aeon Labs or z-wave.me products you need z-wave stick as well - and you will not get (yet, who know if at any other timepoint) the hex files (except encrypted firmware files, no way to use them on other system - example Fibaro .fif firmware files which is encrypted and can not be use on other gateways or sticks to update Fibaro products, and so on). So yes, OTA does exists, but the information and file flow between manufacturers is not given yet (yes, i will come, there is lot of preasure from the z-wave alliance to get that sorted out).

So again, be happy some manufactures provides at least something (Fibaro, Aeonlabs, Heatit, Z-Wave.me), even if one need still special hardware (Aeonlabs, Heatit, z-wave.me) or special gateway (Fibaro).

puuuh, that was long ...

EDIT: Heatit at least provides their z-wave firmware as not encrypted hex, so this can be used by Fibaro to get implemented into their firmware update service, but i doubt they can update the ARM microcontroller as well - and this important part of fw v1.8 is exactly there, in ARM, not z-wave chip.

Edited by tinman

the programming cable sold, see above a picture, has 4 pins. So at least it has  rx/tx and VDD and GND right? 

• Inquirer
  • I can't update the thermostat using Fibaro HC2.

when I updated my Aeonlabs multisensor I only have to connect it to my pc via standard usb cable and run a free software supplied by Aeonlabs. I think this is the correct approach. The Heatit cable is way to gain money... and to lose customers (me for sure).

I have to buy 4 thermostats to complete my heating system (more or less 600€). Obviously I will not buy them. All of this... for a cable that costs 15€, sold for 73€. Not a very good market plan :-)

1 hour ago, [email protected] said:

when I updated my Aeonlabs multisensor I only have to connect it to my pc via standard usb cable and run a free software supplied by Aeonlabs.

not Gen5 multisensor anymore, you have to use now z-wave usb stick for another 50eur.

So I don't know if this is covered in another thread, but I just installed a new HeatIT thermostat ver. 1.8. The problem is that the temperature sensor is not giving me the room temperature, but instead is reporting the set temp on the termostat. I have two other ones that are ver. 1.5 and they work. Anyone else have this problem? I am running a HC2 4.130.

@Ole Did you solve this? 

I've just installed one myself, with the 1.8FW (I have HC lite 4.1.70) 

Mine is also showing the set temp on the thermostat. It is set to only have internal air temperaturesensor. (Sensor type "A")

BR 

Kristoffer

Yeah, I was told that this would be fixed in a firmware update, but the cable you need to update is so expensive that I didn't think it was worth it (about NOK 600). They still work, only it is not very useful to have the temp sensor display the set temperature. You have a different temperature displayed than your set temp though.