Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Speed up call of scenes

Alex

I sometimes recognize that some scenes are not called as soon as they should be.

A couple of my scenes are triggered by a motion sensor to switch on the light for example.

Sometimes the light get on as soon as I enter the area of the motion sensor (or by triggering a door sensor).

But sometimes it takes about 5 seconds until the lights are getting switched on.

There are hardly any other scenes running (about four), there do exist only one VD (sonos), the amount of free RAM is at 73% and the CPU usage is between 3 and 12%.

So why is it taking longer some times?

Thinking about one second might be fine but more than 3 seconds?

Is there any possibility to check out why this is happening?

One thing is I will try to compare the event log entry with the time stamp of a debug line in one of my scenes.

Would it be a good idea to having one huge scene to cover most other scenes (so this scene stays cached)?

Guest FredrikKarlsson

Could this be a network routing issue? Perhaps you should try rebuilding your network and see if this improves things.

I have window lights throughout my house operated by one scene that may be triggered from 3 points throughout my house. Works like a charm, and no delays.

The house is about 200 m2 large though. Perhaps your's is larger?

• Topic Author
  • I don't think this is a networking issue. If that is the case I think it should be always a problem and not just sometimes.

(My house has just 240m², but must be divided by four floors (80m² each).)

Guest FredrikKarlsson

16 hours ago, Alex said:

I don't think this is a networking issue. If that is the case I think it should be always a problem and not just sometimes.

(My house has just 240m², but must be divided by four floors (80m² each).)

Yes, I guess you would not only have issues with scene activation. But, thee are very direct events that you are aware of from start to end. You enter a room, and the light should turn on. You notice those glitches clearly then. 

A scene that turns on lights at sunset (for instance) you don't notice network errors as clearly as you don't know exactly when the event started. Just saying.

I cant right now think of a way to test my theory though. Is it possible that very long routs are involved?

I've had this happened quite a few times.  What i found out is that it is almost always due to some device at the edge of the network - not having good signal - or some battery device that had low battery even if the interface wasn't showing low battery.

I have installed some repeaters in the area i thought they were problematic and changed most battery devices to DC power.  

11 hours ago, Momos said:

I've had this happened quite a few times.  What i found out is that it is almost always due to some device at the edge of the network - not having good signal - or some battery device that had low battery even if the interface wasn't showing low battery.

I have installed some repeaters in the area i thought they were problematic and changed most battery devices to DC power.  

I support this theory.

I have a door switch at second floor at the end of the network chain and sometimes it misses the triggering of open/close. For a switch is deadly bad since it is a one shot message whilst for a motion sensor is a continuous message until you move in front of it so maybe for the first one/two seconds it misses to reach the HC.

• Topic Author
  • I will try to replace the battery operated motion sensor by another one powered by AC.

But in another room I already have an AC powered motion sensor.

In this room (distance to HC controller is about 8 meters) the light switches on as soon as I enter the room and sometimes it takes a couple of seconds (about 4 to 5 seconds later).

Now I have reconfigure mesh for these devices (switch and motion sensor). I am going to test it this evening or tomorrow morning.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Topic Author
  • Reconfigurating mesh did not help.

I posted my experience in anther thread but wanted to add it here as well...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

This sounds like an exact mirror image of my experience and I too have weeded out all the poor code quality at this stage.

I have deleted and rewrote scenes, converted some to VD's, offloaded http requests to VD's and use press button, disabled some scenes to reduce the load, switched off bridges to reduce the load, doubted myself several times and even went through a week where I rebooted the HC2 every morning at 3am (to clear out any gremlins that may have built up).. but like Wienog above I am out of ideas at this stage.

I have one simple scene - ("turn on porch light when door sensor if triggered") that will sometimes trigger immediately and sometimes take 3-4 or 5 seconds to trigger.

I also have observed delays in other scenes that I manually activate. These mainly contain a number of sequenced steps and could be something like the following.

• Turn on light A
    • Turn off light B
    • Pause music in room A
    • Turn on TV in room B

The code at this stage is rock solid and the annoying thing is that I have some 'poor quality" code that pre-dates 4.090 that I know for a fact worked every time reliably but not my well honed code is still not reliable

To me it looks like that scenes are sometime slow to start but once they start, they then execute as one would expect 

This is consistent whether it is a triggered scene or a manually driven scene and is not limited to the same scene each time

-frank

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think my issue is the network, I think its the HC2 being slow to execute / trigger the scene on an intermittent basis. My house is around 300 sq m spread over 2 floors and a garage and I have close on 60 powered devices that are reasonably spread around the house. I have 7 battery powered devices and don't use any of them to trigger. I mainly use global variable changes, scheduled or manually triggered.

in the example above the door sensor is wired and part of my regular alarm. I read the status through an api/bridge. (Goran's SPC Gateway)

I have a VD that displays the open/closed status and if I open the door I can see the status change reflected in my VD in about a second.

The fibaro dual relay for the light is co-located with 2 others relays and is about 4 foot from a swiid inline switch, I have three other fibaro dual relays  in various directions less than 10 feet.

I have had the light come on anywhere between 1 and 6 seconds yet the 'zwave infrastructure' in that part of the house has't changed in 18 months since we moved in. I have also experienced this with manually triggered scenes that may have 4 or 5 steps. 

Prior to 4.090 every time I opened the door the light came on. I remember this because I recall being very impressed as to how fast my siemens alarm sensor status was registered by HC2 and that I could use it as a trigger. From 4.090 onwards I have been experiencing this "delay"

As I had been adding to the system over the time and using sonos api bridges, Open remote UI, additional devices, other "add-on"

I assumed that it was a one of these add-ons, some runaway scenes, pressure on the HC2 API or some of my coding but at this stage I have optimized everything, removed (not disabled) some scenes and have added enough lines of debug code to observe what is happening 'under the hood' I am convinced that there is a flaw in the HC2 FW since 4.090 that is causing a intermittent delay in scenes starting and this is what we are observing and seeing the symptoms from.

I appreciate this will be a challenge for Fibaro to resolve as it may only present itself in a real life (as opposed to a lab) setup and at perhaps at scale but I think there is enough discussions and subjective evidence to indicate this needs to be investigated and fixed.

It would also be helpful to us consumers to know if Fibaro are aware of the issue and actively working to resolve. I am also in the business of developing and deploying software solutions and have learned over many years that open and honest discussions on important bugs (in the eyes of the customer) will buy you time to fix, respect and long term loyalty.

Fibaro Team - please do not just ignore this ask and offer a reply !!

Sorry for the long post and I am a huge fan of the fibaro products.

Thanks

frank

Edited by AutoFrank
    • Like 1

2 hours ago, AutoFrank said:

I completely agree on all points with autofrank. Have EXACTLY the same experience, checked EVERY battery item and replaced the batteries with new ones , even when my volt/amperemeter showed that  they were absolutely perfect still, checked (for the fibaro motion sensors) with the built in connection test that they had good connection with the HC2: out of 12 fibaro motion sensors only one had an indirect connection with the HC2, removed any scene that could in any way cause much traffic or erratic traffic, check ALL lua scenes for errors or typos, remove ALL VD's....etc etc..Really NOTHING helped and th same setup worked perfectly BEFORE 4.09x, so, sorry, but I fear it is indeed a bug and a major one starting at 4.09x.

2 hours ago, AutoFrank said:

I have to say I have similar experience of intermittent slow triggering the scenes. Especially when the light is turned on by the movement detected.

My present firmware is 4.100. 

FIBARO - pls listen and act .

2 hours ago, wienog said:

I completely agree on all points with autofrank. Have EXACTLY the same experience, checked EVERY battery item and replaced the batteries with new ones , even when my volt/amperemeter showed that  they were absolutely perfect still, checked (for the fibaro motion sensors) with the built in connection test that they had good connection with the HC2: out of 12 fibaro motion sensors only one had an indirect connection with the HC2, removed any scene that could in any way cause much traffic or erratic traffic, check ALL lua scenes for errors or typos, remove ALL VD's....etc etc..Really NOTHING helped and th same setup worked perfectly BEFORE 4.09x, so, sorry, but I fear it is indeed a bug and a major one starting at 4.09x.

+1. The time taken for scenes to be triggered seems erratic since 4.09

could you make this test?

one door connected to a light, open the door and see if delay occurred.

at the same time look at the app if the door icon becomes open at the time you open the door.

Is the delay between the open door and the icon change or the icon change is in real time and the delay is to the light on?

• Topic Author
  • I will retest it again.

But once I had taken a look in the event panel and have seen that the triggered event was a couple of seconds earlier than the event that was called by scene.

So door opened at 15:43:02 and light went on at 15:43:05 (e.g.).

I will be able to test it again this evening and post it tomorrow morning (I have some doors connected to lights directly and also set up a scene with a debug line at the beginning so I can test the timestamps).

51 minutes ago, Flowy said:

could you make this test?

one door connected to a light, open the door and see if delay occurred.

at the same time look at the app if the door icon becomes open at the time you open the door.

Is the delay between the open door and the icon change or the icon change is in real time and the delay is to the light on?

Very interesting test indeed/ I have a light in the hall that can be switched on by a motion sensor if someone crosses the hall from the interior AND is also triggered by the front door with a fibaro doorsensor. Result of your test:

1) I enter the hallway from outside: the doorsensor on the app 'opens' almost immediately and the light follows also almost immediately. We're talking fractions of seconds here.

2) I enter the hallway from inside triggering the motion sensor: I see the led of the sensor coming on, THEN IT TAKES SEVERAL SECONDS before the 'eye' opens up in the app and almost immediately after that (same very tiny interval as with the doorsensor) the light comes on.

So, it is the motion sensor that does not get it's message through on time (the 'eye' in the app stays closed for several seconds then suddenly opens and THEN the light follows).

So what is the conclusion ?

Edited by wienog

12 minutes ago, wienog said:

Very interesting test indeed/ I have a light in the hall that can be switched on by a motion sensor if someone crosses the hall from the interior AND is also triggered by the front door with a fibaro doorsensor. Result of your test:

1) I enter the hallway from outside: the doorsensor on the app 'opens' almost immediately and the light follows also almost immediately. We're talking fractions of seconds here.

2) I enter the hallway from inside triggering the motion sensor: I see the led of the sensor coming on, THEN IT TAKES SEVERAL SECONDS before the 'eye' opens up in the app and almost immediately after that (same very tiny interval as with the doorsensor) the light comes on.

So, it is the motion sensor that does not get it's message through on time (the 'eye' in the app stays closed for several seconds then suddenly opens and THEN the light follows).

So what is the conclusion ?

"good" ... :-)

so:

Door sensor is ok.

Eye capture is ok.

Eye has a delay between the capture and the signal received by the HC.

Scene is ok.

Other tests? Not easy.

Is the eye far from the HC?

Maybe try to remove and reinstall the eye? Is there the possibility that now it is not choosing the quickest mesh path to HC?

Change motion sensor with another one?

Have you updated eye firmware recently (if it is possible to do)?

Edited by Flowy

2 minutes ago, AutoFrank said:

Hi

Are ye using the web app or Android app to observe the results/reaction ?

Thx

I use the IOS App on my iPhone 6S

5 minutes ago, Flowy said:

"good" ... :-)

so:

Door sensor is ok.

Eye capture is ok.

Eye has a delay between the capture and the signal received by the HC.

Scene is ok.

Other tests? Not easy.

Is the eye far from the HC?

Maybe try to remove and reinstall the eye? Is there the possibility that now it is not choosing the quickest mesh path to HC?

Change motion sensor with another one?

I fear I did all these things already. All my fibaro motion sensors have direct connection with the HC2 (and, now that I think of it, the one that has a routed connection is one with less delay problems ?), tested with the builtin connection test of these sensors. As I said before, I put in new batteries, reconfigured them, changed sensitivity etc... the problem is that the behavior is so erratic: sometimes you enter the hallway (or another place in the house , the same problem is with ALL my fibaro motion sensors) and the light switches on immediately and you get hope thinking "Maybe, just maybe this misery might be over" and then the next sensor doesn't react at all or after 5 seconds or more. It's really frustrating and, especially in hallways with stairs dangerous too.

Okay, I tried this...

Using android app on Galaxy s6

Hotpress ( fibaro door sensor and tbk switch)

the light came on faster than either the light or sensor registered.

( curiously- I have never observed a delay with this room)

Front door ( fibaro dual relay and sensor through my spc alarm gateway)

Light came on within 1 sec and was on before the sensor registered on the app. 

Typically it would work but will keep checking this evening ..