Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Z-wave Noise/Sound Sensor - What are the use cases?

chaicka

Hi,

I am thinking that the automation industry seems to lack of noise/sound sensor. In order to help manufacturers see the demand, I am thinking of putting together the use cases.

• Security - Pick up unusual sound level such as when someone breaks the window.
  • Toddler Monitoring - Pick up unusual sound level or sudden increase in sound level and alert.
  • Data Center/Communications Rooms Monitoring - Pick up unusual sound level or sudden increase in sound level and alert.
  • Generator Room Monitoring - Pick up sound level to determine if generator has started or stopped.

Please feel free to help builds up the list of potential real-world use cases.

It is not sound detector but noise level detector.

I have bought recently Netatmo weather module which is connected to Fibaro via API (Fibaro offered plugin). 

It measures temperature, humidity, pressure and noise level.

As for now (I have it not for so long) I observe that noise monitor shows the graphs quite accurate and I plan to use it to detect that "home went to sleep", or "nobody home" scenarios.

• Topic Author
  • Good point... Noise Level Detector. ;)

Thanks. Didn't know Netatmo Indoor unit has sound metering capability.

Just to add some critical notes.... ;-)

So, in the Netatmo Indoor unit is a mic embedded? And it is always recording? And it it is connected to the internet? :shock:

I don't have a Netatmo, but what happens when it is disconnected/blocked from the internet? Is it still usable?

IMHO, if you want to increase security in your house, I definitely don't want to use 'noise' sensors connected to the internet. Because of security, and privacy, reasons. Or it should be usable when blocked from the internet (only report to the HC2 on a VLAN with no internet connection, for example)

Just out of curiosity, why are other sensors not good enough?

For braking a window they should be entering an area where the window is located. So before they want to break it, it could be detected by a motion or camera sensor.

For panic situations you could install panic button's or emergency switches.

ICT devices are normally equipped with several ways to alert when something goes wrong. There are a lot of monitor options/devices/solutions to get alerted when something is wrong (like Zabbix/Cacti/Nagios/Spiceworks etc.)

Generators do have auxiliary-contacts for reporting failures.

The above options are proven to work. A lot of noise detecting devices, they are used/examined/developed a lot, are not very usable at the moment. There are expensive and generate a lot of false-positives.

Just my 2 cents....

Just for your info, Netatmo weather station is not communicating directly with HC2 but over internet. All measured data is sent to Netatmo servers and HC is picking up this recorded data and displaying. Even user has to use password and client ID with secret for every connected device or application, it is internet connection and subject to hackers attack.

2 minutes ago, Sankotronic said:

Just for your info, Netatmo weather station is not communicating directly with HC2 but over internet. All measured data is sent to Netatmo servers and HC is picking up this recorded data and displaying. Even user has to use password and client ID with secret for every connected device or application, it is internet connection and subject to hackers attack.

Hmm, for me a reason not to buy one. But anyone should make it's own consideration. Thanks for reporting!

1 minute ago, Lambik said:

Hmm, for me a reason not to buy one. But anyone should make it's own consideration. Thanks for reporting!

And same is with all Netatmo products including thermostat and cameras! So if there is no internet connection they are useless.

• 4 months later...

Aeotec is making already sound sensor and it doesn't need internet.

Please login or register to see this link.

:-)

2 hours ago, Bodyart said:

Aeotec is making already sound sensor and it doesn't need internet.

Please login or register to see this link.

:-)

normal it takes a lot of time for fibaro to include new devices

• 3 weeks later...
  • Topic Author
  • Interesting...a topic to discuss turn into a product though not with Fibaro