Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Will Fibaro integrate with Google Home?

cberdan

Hi, 

As I understood there is in progress to support alexa integration. What about the google home integration with Fibaro? I recently bought one and was thinking if shall I wait to have the integration ready or shall I consider moving all my smart home to smartthings?

BR,

Catalin

Edited by cberdan

How are you finding google home?
I am still trying to decide if I buy google or amazon or just leave it for now.
Ideally I want something that can integrate easily with my HC2.

Neither seem to fit the bill yet for my home automation but I kind of feel Google has more behind it to build up its features and surpass the amazon echo in time.

Cheers

Paul

• Topic Author
  • Hi Paul, 

I just got google home since a week and I can tell you that I had a lot of fun with it. If you are google integrated (using android, google mail, calendar, chromecast etc) then is worth going with google. On my situation I do have a an HCL which I'm able to control shutters, lights, heating and some plugs in the house. I also have some chrome cast dongle. I have chosen Google Home because it has integrated new google assistant which works great and I hope some day I will able to integrate it with my Fibaro HCL. If this won't happen in the close future I was thinking make another investment and purchase Smartthings Hub from Samsung which is supported by Google Home from scratch. Till then I just open this topic at this forum to see if we have any hope for the future. Regarding Alexa I don't have much knowledge  but I have read there is a trick you could integrate. it with HC2 using maker applet from IFTTT. 

BR,
    Catalin

Edited by cberdan

Thanks Catalin

I think we may have a long wait for any fibaro integration, they do not seem very quick with these things. I may well try another make of controller if there is one that works well with google, luckily it does not seem to be available in the UK yet so

I have more time to decide.

• 2 months later...

For now you could also use IFTTT <> Fibaro <> Google home. This works very well:

Please login or register to see this link.

You can also go a different route and setup a ha-bridge on a raspberry pi that emulates a hue light bridge.  BWSSYSTEMS.com has modified the software of a first generation hue lighting bridge to be able to install on a raspberry pi.  The creator on the GitHub page is very active in helping users with setting it up and answering any questions. It takes a few minutes to setup, but it's a voice controlled bridge between any home automation system using either a Google home or Amazon Alexa.  To allow you to control what ever you want that has an ip address.  You can Google it on YouTube and see for yourself.  

This guy it using an echo with a HC2, but you would use the exact same procedure using the Google home 

Edited by matt1981

2 hours ago, matt1981 said:

You can also go a different route and setup a ha-bridge on a raspberry pi that emulates a hue light bridge.  BWSSYSTEMS.com has modified the software of a first generation hue lighting bridge to be able to install on a raspberry pi.  The creator on the GitHub page is very active in helping users with setting it up and answering any questions. It takes a few minutes to setup, but it's a voice controlled bridge between any home automation system using either a Google home or Amazon Alexa.  To allow you to control what ever you want that has an ip address.  You can Google it on YouTube and see for yourself.  

Yes, however the problem with HA Bridge is that it only works with Google Home when running on port 80 and that is a lot of times not possible as a RPI usually is also used for other services.

Fibaro should add support for Google Home to fix this!

If you watched the video. He "uses an Amazon echo."  they both respond to port 80

Edited by matt1981

• Topic Author
  • Hi Matt1981 and TCviper

Thanks for the tips.

I use IFTTT with Google recipe and Maker and this works OK but over the Internet is using port 80 which is not secure at all. I also thinking to use ha-bridge but I don't want to purchase another device  like raspberry piotr.  I have a spare laptop with Windows 7. Would that be possible to run ha-bridge via Windows 7 and if yes how?

The ha-bridge is jar file that runs on Linux. You could install it in a VM on your computer. Just have to make sure that it never shuts down and is always on. Hence why the raspberry pi is better route...  Just follow all the same install and setup directions, just inside the VM and not on the pi. I have mine on a pi also. It's of course a shortcut that can be risky, like @TCviper had mentioned.  As fibaro isn't very timely with their own bridges or plugins....   

• 1 month later...

Again, HA Bridge is cool but it has problems with using port 80 (which you need for Google Home) (on devices that already use port 80 for other things, like a Synology NAS).

So far I havent been able to get it to work right on a Synology (and Im not planning on throwing up another RPI just for this).

• 1 month later...
  • Topic Author
  • Guys, good news! Yesterday I've got an update on my Fibaro mobile app and after open it I've got a notification which says FIbaro will integrate systems like Alexa, Google Home and will have its own IFTTT channel. So now we see Fibaro is not sleeping and working on some huge upgrade let's challenge it. I also could see there is already an Alexa skill called Fibaro (I tried in google home but not there yet) which can link to your Fibaro account and discover your devices from home but only the binary switches and plugs but no Fibaro motion sensors or temperature sensors etc. I would like to see for the future, functions like when I say "Alexa, what's temperature in my daughter's room" alexa hub should take this info from fibaro motion sensor or any other z-wave temperature sensors connected to your Fibaro hub. Or the same for thermostats no matter are room or heater thermostats. Let's see if Fibaro is listening? What is your wish and what would you like to see?

Please login or register to see this image.

• 4 weeks later...

I spoke to fibaro tech in poland on friday and while he was remotely fixing my hc2 i asked him about support for goolgle home. He said last quarter of this year... so at least theyre looking at it....