Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Fibario - New App for lighting

Matt.hiscock

Question

Hello Everyone.

I have what I consider a pretty typical setup.  A nest and FIbaro lights and smokes.  Pretty basic 10 circuits, nothing special happening here.

While I think the Fibaro app is pretty decent, I wanted something I little more focused and polished for me.

So, I have built a Android and IOS app which is modelled on the look and feel of the Savant app:

Please login or register to see this link.

The app is fully working, just need a visual improvement - but it looks decent already.  Its a side project - so dev will happen when i have time.

I never planned on realising this in the wild, but a few people who have seen it love it - so thinking about submitting to relevant stores.

Its boring features are:

- Picks up weather and such like

- Pick up NEST information (via Fibaro home centre or home centre lite)

- Get all relevant devices from the system

- Allows you to input your IP / user / pass (and saves) to allow connectivity to the home centre / lite (can use dyndns for those not on static IPs at home)

- Runs via HTTP - so will work inside and outside the home. (use local IP on the internal only devices)

The more interesting features are:

- Allows you to (So much easier than Fibaro) create scenes on the app - in a lovely interface.

- Will sync all settings of the scenes with either the Fibaro box, or Dropbox (or similar)

- Might make it control the Nest also and other device types which fit within the focus of the app & alerts

- Keeps the device alive if desired (prevent screen off)

What im looking to do:

- Get some flush wall mounts of ipad Minis / Andriod tabs made up (using 3D printers to keep costs low)

- Have these as wall mounted control centres 

- keep the cost very low.

- Allow people to re-use these old devices - rather than capture dust in a draw.

Is there much appetite for such stuff in this community? If so ill look to finish it up and develop.  Ill probably put it up as a paid app, mainly to cover costs and support / continious development.

I will stress this is not a replacement for the Fibaro app - its just more focused and beautiful.

I'm always interested in new stuff. Even I'm quite satisfied with FIBARO app I will buy your app because I was once developer and I like to support developers. Who knows, maybe I will even use it because I would like to be able to develop scenes on mobile devices. Will your app support creating scenes in LUA or blocks only?

Anyway, I believe in healthy competition and I'm definitely interested and vote for it!

• Inquirer
  • 1 hour ago, Sankotronic said:

I'm always interested in new stuff. Even I'm quite satisfied with FIBARO app I will buy your app because I was once developer and I like to support developers. Who knows, maybe I will even use it because I would like to be able to develop scenes on mobile devices. Will your app support creating scenes in LUA or blocks only?

Anyway, I believe in healthy competition and I'm definitely interested and vote for it!

I wouldnt see it as competition, more a alternative for a wall display or easy lighting control

The scenes are not made on the homecenter / lite (as it stands) - they are made and excuted from the App iteself.  

Im a home center lite user, and I would intentionally want to make the whole thing not require LUA - so its universal for all.

The Fibaro app is cool, but it lacks some quick hits for changing things.  The thing about a lighting system (or any system) is the ability to action something instantly, not have to click this, and then that.

For me, the scenes on the Fibaro app are ugly (the clipboard icon) and I have to choose a scene category.  Also the colours are too bright for 'constant on' - and would become distracting / eye catching.

Anyway thats the approach.  Ill let you know when its 'somewhere'

Would love to see it.

I think although the Fibaro app is functional, it doesnt have good ergonomics as you say. I have (in frustration) put Homebridge on my RPi to allow me to call my most used scenes via the iOS Home app/lock screen, which is much more ergonomic. 

Edited by Cameleon

• Inquirer
  • Just now, Cameleon said:

Would love to see it.

I think although the Fibaro app is functional, it doesnt have good ergonomics as you say. I have (in frustration) put Homebridge on my RPi to allow me to call my most used scenes via the iOS Home app/lock screen, which is much more ergonomic. 

I was tempted to make that solution as well - but I didnt want to be pigeoned into the IOS route.  Mostly as for the wall displays / controllers - android was a more affordable solution.  You dont need a £400 device for a basic touch and do something functionality!! Also with the screen always on (even if at 10% brightness) its gonna burn!

Im looking at a way also of using the front camera for movement which would wake up the screen. Might be a nice touch.

Finally looking at a transitior which will take the permanent live from the lighting ring - to allow a usb charger to be (failrly) easily be retrofitting into ceiling void (using spotlight hole for access for most I guess) and then a thin usb lead down wall (get your drimmel out) for perm power to the unit. (These are used alot for LED strip lights etc - so would be safe.)

Would love it, can't wait for screenshots and maybe a youtube to see what you've done!!

• Inquirer
  • 4 minutes ago, jimicr said:

Would love it, can't wait for screenshots and maybe a youtube to see what you've done!!

Ill get some up in the next few days of it pre-skinned.

• Inquirer
  • Well I had a few spare mins so here are some screenshots. 

It will not look anything thing like this when done so don't read into it!!!

The current design was just to get it up and running - this is a fully working App etc.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by Matt.hiscock

• Inquirer
  • @clowg @jimicr @Cameleon @Sankotronic

Apologies for lack of replies.

We are putting some finishing touches, mainly making it work nice as a wall unit - showing a discrete time and weather at the same time,

Hopefully will have it up on the stores soon

Looks epics compared

17 minutes ago, Matt.hiscock said:

@clowg @jimicr @Cameleon @Sankotronic

Apologies for lack of replies.

We are putting some finishing touches, mainly making it work nice as a wall unit - showing a discrete time and weather at the same time,

Hopefully will have it up on the stores soon

Looks epics compared

Hi @Matt.hiscock

Any screenshots as a teaser?

Thanks

--f

• Inquirer
  • @AutoFrank

There are some earlier ones further up the thread.....

But the newer version does most things full screen with high res images.

The idea being that you can quickly flick through and choose a scene (from homepage)

OR 

Choose from a list (similar to screenshot, but better laid out)

Ive just got a few more bits to sync up.  We have found better performance by not using the scenes options in the homecenter, but by actually adjusting the levels of the individual circuits.

We are changing this so we also create the scene on the device (homecenter / lite) also.

The reason being is that its super easy to create a scene on a app, which means you can create them quicker, and then link them up with a keyFob etc.

Oh, completely forgot to mention, we have this working with Alexa also :)

@Matt.hiscock

Sounds intriguing....:-D:-D

, I just happen to have a few echo dots lying idle waiting for a use and a couple of tablets stuck to the walls 

I assume you're publishing to the regular  iOS/Play stores ?

Any timeline on availability to end users ? 

• Inquirer
  • Ironically we dont have a echo around (waiting for next gen one to come out) so Alexa will come in due course

With the Alexa stuff - it will come as a phase 2

Yes, it will be in the stores.

@AutoFrank seems like you have a complex setup. The hope it we can make this app 'api decentralised' allowing us to poll various systems.

E.g. not just Fibaro.  We have already proved this as a concept - so we know its possible

ll need some testers soon, as ill get the app up on some beta apps, which allow us to distribute it prior to store realise

Gut feeling it will be end of April for some BASIC testing, and the expand from there

I only use the LITE system, and all features need to be compatable with that (by intention and design) I want to make this as friendly and assessable to call as possible,  It will of course work with the full fat version.

If you want your Echo less Idle, feel free to post it!

Im waiting to get two more dimmers from Fibaro - which is a struggle!

On 12/5/2016 at 4:17 PM, Matt.hiscock said:

Well I had a few spare mins so here are some screenshots. 

It will not look anything thing like this when done so don't read into it!!!

The current design was just to get it up and running - this is a fully working App etc.

these are some amazing layouts you have designed! im also interested in to know what the tablet layout will look like.

Matthew

Edited by matt1981

• Inquirer
  • @matt1981

Thanks

The tablet, well I will make seperate layouts for, mostly revolving around the scene selection and 'homepage/dashboard'

Most of the 'admin' layouts will be quite the same, and relatively boring.

2 hours ago, Matt.hiscock said:

ll need some testers soon,

@Matt.hiscock

Happy to do some beta testing if that helps... mainly interested in tablets but can test android on phone as well 

4 hours ago, AutoFrank said:

@Matt.hiscock

Happy to do some beta testing if that helps... mainly interested in tablets but can test android on phone as well 

I'm glad to do to some testing too.

But just on Android; Apple doesn't come in here.... ;)

@Matt.hiscock

Will this app work on older IOS devices like iPad 1?

I have a few of these laying around that I would like to use as wall pannels, however the Fibaro iPad app requires IOS 6 as a minimum rendering them useless.

Regardless I would love to test out this app for you also.