Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Fibaro Dimmer 2 problem - not dimming with switch

OleKristianK

Question

I am using the Fibaro Dimmer 2 in several places around the house, and have had no problem with it until now. I replaced an Elko GLE 315 dimmer with a Fibaro Dimmer 2. My problem is that dimming with the S1 connected momentary switch does not work. When off, clicking once results in lights going to 100% with a very slow start. Clicking and holding to dim down does nothing while holding, when releasing the lights seamingly goes off, but HC2 reports dimming level around 10%. The same happens with just one click. I am unable to dim the lights to any level with the switch, but doing this through HC2 works just fine. 

This is the setup of the dimmer and load:

Electric system: European 220v/50Hz 2-wire system

Connected load: Two SLV ceiling lights. Each light has an electronic soft start trafo and two halogen QRB 111 G53 12v lamps.

Please login or register to see this link.

I think the problem might be releated to the soft start function of the two electronic trafos. I sometimes get "no load"-error or "burnt out bulb detection error" in HC2. I am guessing that the soft starts creates a pulse of some kind that the dimmer detects. 

I have tried several of the advanced parameters including:

14: Auto-calibration status set to 0 
15: Burned out bulb detection set to 0 - disabled
19: Forced dimming level - x% this does nothing
32: on-off mode set to 0 - dimming is possible
34: soft start set to 0 - no soft start
35: Auto calibration after power on set to 0 - no auto calibration
40: reaction to general purpose alarm set to 0 - no reaction
45: overload alarm report set to 0 - no reaction
46: load error set to 0 - no reaction
47: overcurrent alarm report set to 0 - no reaction
48: surge alarm report set to 0 - no reaction

Any suggestions greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Please login or register to see this attachment.

5 answers to this question

Guest fat

Are you sure you have your switch type set to momentary? Based on what you are seeing it sounds like it could be set to bi stable 

Edited by fat

I did some tests with "halotronic" (osram) electronic transformers and they work. I. 've never tested any other brand, but I have basic knowledge of how they work. Like you said, it's probably an incompatible setup. You could try to add a mains incandescent lamp in parallel (primary side) , at least 25 W. But I can imagine that, even if this helps, it won't be a feasible solution...