Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Double switch 2, S1 Second function,

Jamie mccrostie

Question

Hi 

I have  seen this asked in other posts but never awnsered.

On a double switch 2 I want to start a scene from a long push as a second function .

The switch is already being used to switch the  2 devices connected directly to it.

I have selected paramater 28 scene sent by long push but am unable to work out the next step. Where do you find scene ids or is this feature dimmer 2 only

puzzeled.

Thanks if you can help

Edited by Jamie mccrostie

11 answers to this question

I think it wont work, I think S1 will always toggle the load connected to O1. Can't test that right now. But to answer the part about scene id's, here's a demo scene. Replace 389 with ID of first slave (not master, not switch itself.).

Please login or register to see this code.

• Inquirer
  • 17 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

I think it wont work, I think S1 will always toggle the load connected to O1. Can't test that right now. But to answer the part about scene id's, here's a demo scene. Replace 389 with ID of first slave (not master, not switch itself.).

Please login or register to see this code.

Hi peter Re using first slave id is this the same for all scene triggering ids on dimmers, roller shutters etc ta

20 minutes ago, Jamie mccrostie said:

Odd that parameter talks of scene activation as does manual mentioned but not elaberated on

It's considered "very advanced" :-) !

I don't think there is a complete explanation of "CentralSceneEvent" at the moment. But with the script, you can "dump" any event (uncomment line under "-- trick to quickly interpret the data held in "trigger"")

I'm not sure about the other devices. I might be able to find out more today. The only other device that I'm sure of is the "Swipe", Thats easy to remember because it has got only one slave. You can use magic scenes to select the events (so the dirty details are hidden), probably because the Swipe has a nice template. The FGS2x3 doesn't seem to use the same interface.

I just installed my first device using CentralSceneEvent and after editing my old sceneActivation script to catch the event I've got it up and working nicely.

However, it seems like a very bad design to add "sceneActivation" functionality without having the physically connected loads independent! If I'm using the button to run a scene I obviously don't want the light to toggle... 

If there's any use of both activating a scene and triggering the load at once, I for one can't see the scenario where this is desirable. Even so, this "feature" should definitely be configurable using a parameter.

I'd love a fibaro comment on this or a hint on where to find more information. At this point I'm inclined to revert to an older version of the switch and using my manual "sceneActivation" script. Of course I can script to make sure the light ends up in the original state but that would mean it would turn on/off briefly when triggering the scenes (double or triple click).

Any other solutions to this issue?

4 minutes ago, StarkJohan said:

I just installed my first device using CentralSceneEvent and after editing my old sceneActivation script to catch the event I've got it up and working nicely.

However, it seems like a very bad design to add "sceneActivation" functionality without having the physically connected loads independent! If I'm using the button to run a scene I obviously don't want the light to toggle... 

(...)

Any other solutions to this issue?

That is one of the things that surprised me when I started with Z-Wave. I do not know of any relay modules that do "decouple" the switch input from the output. I do not claim I know all of them, but I monitor this forum and I think I would have noticed... I am not sure if Z-Wave mandates this behaviour, I tried to find out but I cannot find any relevant document.

I think there is one advantage to the present situation. If you're having trouble with your controller, you can still control the light. But I agree, a configuration option would be nice.

The only device that I could find that separates input from output is the MIMO2+ but according to the spec it runs on 12 V DC and only switches up to 24 V.

Please login or register to see this link.

I do not own such a device...

So people end up using a second (double) switch module with no load, or a remote controller like a Fibaro Keyfob or a ZRC-90...

Very strange indeed. As I said, I do have a couple of the older fibaro switches pre-CentralSceneEvent in operation with a home made "click catcher script" which works fine but the older switches have their drawbacks (no power monitoring etc).

Considering all the dimmers work in the desired way I don't see why the switches should have this limitation. Possibly it's a z-wave thing but if this is the case I would assume fibaro could code their own solution to get this working rather easily. 

If them leaving this working half-assedly generates more sales as people are forced to install a second switch I guess we won't see a fix ever.

One workaround would be setting the delay-on AND delay-off timers to a low value (sub one sec would be desirable) and catching the state before the delay to set/reset the state of the light. This works but the current config only supports delay-on OR delay-off which also in my eyes is a suboptimal design.

Edited by StarkJohan

55 minutes ago, StarkJohan said:

Considering all the dimmers work in the desired way I don't see why the switches should have this limitation.

I beg to differ. I am pretty sure S1 on the Fibaro FGD-212 and the older FGD-211 always controls the output of the dimmer. But S2 can be used as in independent trigger. Maybe that is what you meant to say?

You're correct! My mistake to some extent. True only for triple click of S1 and all S2 clicks.

I was thinking of the workaround script I'm using for my older switches, they're able to work as desired but depending on the controller to 100% (which I don't mind). Dimmers need the double click to go to 100% obviously but decoupling the switches for two and three clicks seems natural.