Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Phantom menace (RGBW)

Kuba13

Question

Right so here is a problem:

SOMETIMES (rather sparsly but still enough to warrant me bugging Fibaro about it) RGBW makes phanthom associations for no bloody reasson.

It happened a while back and only replacement of specific RGBW module seemed to help that was in pre "100" era tho.

Most recent case i have are 2 RGBW modules (v 2.5) running on same HC2 4.100, reading tempriture and humidity via IN1 and IN2.

Confirmed at least one of them caused it (once disconnected from power the random behaviour stoped), second of those RGBW is very strong suspect. Sad thing is that the second RGBW seems to have worked fine untill the first one was disconnected.

Now i seek aid, advice and wisdom. if annyone had this happen to them please add your controller, its FW and mofule's FW aswell - lets see if we can help fibaro figure this one out!

Just popped in to let you know there is a firmware update for the RGBW module:

• [change] Compiled with new version of SDK.
  • [fix] Resolved problem with false associations.

2 hours ago, jimicr said:

Thanks @jimicr

Do you know if this can be done OTA ?

EDIT

Just checked and it looks like it needs to be within 2m  of the HC2

I'll have to do it another time

Edited by AutoFrank

i just done it without removing the device. It took 2 tries and it worked.  1 floor in between HC2 and RGBW, no direct comm i think.

BTW i did all the devices FW upgrades OTA, without removing them. Never had any issues, but did at night or when no one was home so the Z Wave traffic is minimal.

Edited by Momos

15 minutes ago, AutoFrank said:

Thanks @jimicr

EDIT

I did it at about 5 meters distance, clear view.

1 hour ago, AutoFrank said:

Thanks @jimicr

EDIT

Get that long network cable back out of storage Frank

21 minutes ago, Jamie mccrostie said:

Get that long network cable back out of storage Frank

Or maybe keep it attached ;)

Thanks @Momos, @jimicr, @Jamie mccrostie

One RGBW is about 30 m and the other at 15m through a couple of concrete walls so it'll be the long power and ethernet cables for me :(

Sounds like a job for saturday :-)

My system is very, very, very stable and responsive now, no dead devices in a week, all software back and much of it improved. Just tidying up my icons. All my associations back and very stable. I added the alarm inhibit last evening so if a zone is open the alarm can inhibit that zone and still set. I'm also halfway through auto-setting the alarm if they house has no occupancy (through a mix of conditions) is determined, it'll even auto-inhibit and auto-set if somebody leaves, forgets to turn on the alarm and leaves a window open. Alexa integration coming along nicely, I can now control all 14 sonos zones with the basics and it's working well and the kids love it (their favorite is "Alexa, Turn on Playroom TV") . I'll probably leave the sonos integration at that until the native alexa/sonos skill to see how good that is..

This is what HA is all about for me, transparent technology and assistance and voice commands when I need it :-)

V happy technie here and WAF is high at the moment

_f

Good to hear that @AutoFrank!

I'll need your help for an idea that I have but don't have the time for now.

It's regarding window sensors and motion sensors for the alarm. Will fill you in when I get some spare tinker time :)

Jim

2 hours ago, AutoFrank said:

Thanks @jimicr

EDIT

All Fibaro devices that support updates are OTA only because they don't have a port to attach a programmer or USB.

The process is failsafe, just try it. I've done upgrades on RGBW, Dimmer 2, Motion Sensor, Door Sensor, Wall Plug first generation. All OK.

Not sure about the range, but one RGBW is > 15 m (+ some walls) from HC. Its 50/50 chance a routed connection.

Keep in mind it can take several *minutes* to complete. That's quite normal...

5 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

All Fibaro devices that support updates are OTA only because they don't have a port to attach a programmer or USB.

The process is failsafe, just try it. I've done upgrades on RGBW, Dimmer 2, Motion Sensor, Door Sensor, Wall Plug first generation. All OK.

Not sure about the range, but one RGBW is > 15 m (+ some walls) from HC. Its 50/50 chance a routed connection.

Keep in mind it can take several *minutes* to complete. That's quite normal...

Thanks @petergebruers

I'll try one of them...

BTW - Another menace has re-appeared... which is my inability to add a new vd or import one.

It was working last evening and and the only thing I did was try and include a fibaro contact sensor. It failed to include completely and so I excluded it. I then did a backup and am about to reboot. The rest of the system is working very well..

...Have you come across this issue before ?

On 18-5-2017 at 5:29 PM, jimicr said:

I installed this update 2 hours after @jimicr posted this. Updated 3xRGBW. The two used as RGBW were OK, but the 3rd one, used as 1x analog IN, stopped reporting data and didn't respond to polling either. Reconfigure ==> OK.

After this, reporting has been fine and no more ghost (no more turn on of lights in a random fashion). Good!

I reported that to customers when it came out. And told them update procedure.

Now they little bit strugling with an update. We found that 10cm from HC is too small distance. 50 cm - 2  m seems ok.

Hi,

I have one RGBW module and it was upgraded to 26.25 but today I seemed to have experienced what seemed like the menace again

Has anybody that upgraded their RGBW modules still experiencing the phantom ?

Thanks  

One my customer. Fibaro support now tries to resolve that problem.

1 hour ago, jakub.jezek said:

One my customer. Fibaro support now tries to resolve that problem.

Thanks @jakub.jezek

Does your customer still have the issue after the upgrade if the RGBW firmware ? 

Morning @AutoFrank,

I have one rgbw module and I have no phantom menace.

What is happening in your system now and what do you use it for? output (rgb(w)) or input (some sensors)?

What's your firmware? ect?

Maybe the info will trigger others who experience the same but blame it on a scene.

Very sorry to hear it's back...

Jim 

Edited by jimicr

@AutoFrank, i think it is only one after update right now. He has 3 i believe.

Also there is the scene i posted earlier in this topic. That keeps those nasty phantom associations on leash for awhile.

Edited by jakub.jezek

After firmware firmware 26.25 I've still seen a ghost... but it's too early to say what caused it. Unfortunately, the ghost turns on the light in the garden shed so I can't "see" it. You could argue that I should see it in the event log, but that's something I don't really trust. I keep an open mind, the ghost might be caused by another device, with a similar (but rare) bug.

Edited by petergebruers

1 hour ago, jimicr said:

Morning @AutoFrank,

I have one rgbw module and I have no phantom menace.

What is happening in your system now and what do you use it for? output (rgb(w)) or input (some sensors)?

What's your firmware? ect?

Maybe the info will trigger others who experience the same but blame it on a scene.

Very sorry to hear it's back...

Jim 

Thanks @jimicr

I use it for a RGB strip

The issue is that lights turn on by themselves randomly or sometimes when I switch on one light, another one switches on as well which has no connection to it...

1 hour ago, petergebruers said:

After firmware 25.26 I've still seen a ghost... but it's too early to say what caused it. Unfortunately, the ghost turns on the light in the garden shed so I can't "see" it. You could argue that I should see it in the event log, but that's something I don't really trust. I keep an open mind, the ghost might be caused by another device, with a similar (but rare) bug.

Thanks @petergebruers

I have multiple ghosts that appear with some regularity

I'll try and check all devices and see if any associations have been created and delete them

failing that I'll remove the RGB and see if the issues go away

2 minutes ago, AutoFrank said:

Thanks @jimicr

I use it for a RGB strip

The issue is that lights turn on by themselves randomly or sometimes when I switch on one light, another one switches on as well which has no connection to it...

I think this one is more for @petergebruers. but specially for @M.Baranowski

But being stoned from painkillers for my back, I *MIGHT* have an idea:

Does the unit communicate directly to the HC2? Maybe if the signal goes thru the mesh it "piggybacks" some orphan or extra code that executes actions in the unit it bounces on?