Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Trying to mimic sunrise using RGB LED strip

AutoFrank

Question

HI,

I have and  RGB LED strip and a Fibaro RGBW module all connected up and ready to go.

I am trying to mimic a sunrise to help us wake up gradually ( and welcoming to the day :-) ) using the LED strip.

Before I research the colors and sequences of a typical sunrise I wonder has anybody been here before and have a nice vd or lua scene

any help appreciated 

Thanks

-f

Hi @AutoFrank,

I'm just finishing Wakeup Lights™ VD and scene. At the moment supports dimmer and HUE lights (VD or plugin) but I believe that I can add support for RGBW lights too. I actually don't know why I left RGBW out?! With VD it is possible to setup different wakeup settings for each day of the week, color, duration and minimum brightness from which it will start to maximum brightness to end.

I'm going to add RGBW lights immediately and then will post solution.

I'm doing same for music with Wakeup music™ VD and scene. But for that one I will need some more time since I want it to be perfect with many choices and to support Sonos plugin, Sonos remote VD and if I get hands on raspberry IP then also solution which you use, can you please remind me where I can find it?

• Inquirer
  • 37 minutes ago, Sankotronic said:

Hi @AutoFrank,

I'm just finishing Wakeup Lights™ VD and scene. At the moment supports dimmer and HUE lights (VD or plugin) but I believe that I can add support for RGBW lights too. I actually don't know why I left RGBW out?! With VD it is possible to setup different wakeup settings for each day of the week, color, duration and minimum brightness from which it will start to maximum brightness to end.

I'm going to add RGBW lights immediately and then will post solution.

I'm doing same for music with Wakeup music™ VD and scene. But for that one I will need some more time since I want it to be perfect with many choices and to support Sonos plugin, Sonos remote VD and if I get hands on raspberry IP then also solution which you use, can you please remind me where I can find it?

Thanks @Sankotronic

I have the RGB strip working and I'm working out and programming the sequence to try and mimic a sunrise.

The sonos solution I use is from Jishi and is called node-sonos-http-api

Here'e the link to his git space - 

Please login or register to see this link.

3 minutes ago, AutoFrank said:

Thanks @Sankotronic

I have the RGB strip working and I'm working out and programming the sequence to try and mimic a sunrise.

The sonos solution I use is from Jishi and is called node-sonos-http-api

Here'e the link to his git space - 

Hi @AutoFrank

That is exactly what I'm doing. I'm using Dawn Simulator from Jean-Christophe Vermont but slightly modified. Thank you for the link, now is saved :) 

• Inquirer
  • 2 hours ago, Sankotronic said:

Hi @AutoFrank

That is exactly what I'm doing. I'm using Dawn Simulator from Jean-Christophe Vermont but slightly modified. Thank you for the link, now is saved :) 

okay this is my first stab at the colors...

its an RGB strip (not an RGBW strip and is facing upwards to a white ceiling

Please login or register to see this code.

the sleep are 5 seconds for testing - in reality I imagine these to be 4-5mins

this would give a runtime of 35 mins

I'd like to have started with a more orange colour but I found an issue

If I create a vd button for 

which is the right orange, it displays a red  and the RGB control in the web interface shows that 3,1,0 is selected

Please login or register to see this attachment.

not sure what the issue is there........any thoughts anybody ?

Edited by AutoFrank

Hi @AutoFrank,

I was playing with my GRB strip. Try following:

What I do is first adjust manually color on the RGBW module on maximum value to get color. Then you pull brightness slider to low level and remember value of each color and that is starting point. Values smaller than 10 for brightness are possible. Starting color values are probably different for different producers LED strips and that is why i have VD to adjust colors for. At the moment I have this type:

It came with remote which I replaced with RGBW module.

Edited by Sankotronic
    Attachment quota filled up / deleting older stuff sorry :-(

• Inquirer
  • 3 hours ago, Sankotronic said:

Hi @AutoFrank,

I was playing with my GRB strip. Try following:

What I do is first adjust manually color on the RGBW module on maximum value to get color. Then you pull brightness slider to low level and remember value of each color and that is starting point. Values smaller than 10 for brightness are possible. Starting color values are probably different for different producers LED strips and that is why i have VD to adjust colors for. At the moment I have this type:

It came with remote which I replaced with RGBW module.

that's interesting approach 

must give that a try....

thx

Er... from the top of my head... isn't setColor all you need? No need to call setValue?

• Inquirer
  • Just now, petergebruers said:

Er... from the top of my head... isn't setColor all you need? No need to call setValue?

@petergebruers that's an interesting question 

I was using the setValue to keep the brightness down as it's in a bedroom but I did notice that with some settings if I change the brightness (setvalue)  and not change the color (setColor) , the color that is displayed does change. 

The LED strip I'm using is only RGB (not RGBW) and I'm not sure if this makes a difference.

Ultimately I'm looking to get a set our colors that aren't too bright and that mimic the colors of dawn ..

I guess it'll be a case of lots of trial and error :-(

I think you are tring to use "hue, saturation, lightness concept" instead of "Red Green blue".

See 

Here's code to calculate RGB from HSL:

Edited by petergebruers

See it this way: the module has four independent channels and you can call them RGBW if you want to. But that's convience. You can connect anything, eg. halogen lamps, and call them A,B,C,D. setValue controls A,B,C,D, there is no "lightness" concept. I have an RGB strip connected to the first three, and one white strip to the fourth. 

• Inquirer
  • 3 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

See it this way: the module has four independent channels and you can call them RGBW if you want to. But that's convience. You can connect anything, eg. halogen lamps, and call them A,B,C,D. setValue controls A,B,C,D, there is no "lightness" concept. I have an RGB strip connected to the first three, and one white strip to the fourth. 

I have a similar setup RGB connected to the three channels (no white)  and I now see you're point re the brightness.. it really is all just colors.

I'll take another go ...

thanks

-f

Here is some demo code, that uses the HSL conversion. The effect depends on the efficiency of the R,G and B LEDs so you might not see what I'm seeeing ;-)

• Inquirer
  • 16 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

Here is some demo code, that uses the HSL conversion. The effect depends on the efficiency of the R,G and B LEDs so you might not see what I'm seeeing ;-)

Thanks

Tried to run and getting an error on line 30

am I missing a variable 

full scene code ??...

Edited by AutoFrank

The code from post #10? Convert HSL to RGB? Or maybe you used the RGB function from post #10 before it was defined?

Edited by petergebruers

• Inquirer
  • 2 hours ago, AutoFrank said:

Thanks

Tried to run and getting an error on line 30

am I missing a variable 

full scene code ??...

Edited by AutoFrank

• Inquirer
  • 1 hour ago, petergebruers said:

The code from post #10? Convert HSL to RGB? Or maybe you used the RGB function from post #10 before it was defined?

@petergebruers

All of the code is running now and its an interesting effect - starts red and moves to orange.

Is this what you see as well ?

I should be able to tweak it to go from the orange through to light blue to mimic a dawn

I didn't make the connection with the function you posted earlier., not sure why not.. sorry :-(

Thanks again

-f

Edited by AutoFrank

Yes, that is the intended effect. Graphic designers and certainly a part of "photo-shoppers" are used to HSL instead of RGB. In fact, the RGB module's colour wheel is a HSL representation. You may get the hang of it, you may dislike it and never use it again. But I think, this dawnHSL is more readable, easier to modify than an equivalent RGB table.

Have fun! 

• Inquirer
  • 1 hour ago, petergebruers said:

Yes, that is the intended effect. Graphic designers and certainly a part of "photo-shoppers" are used to HSL instead of RGB. In fact, the RGB module's colour wheel is a HSL representation. You may get the hang of it, you may dislike it and never use it again. But I think, this dawnHSL is more readable, easier to modify than an equivalent RGB table.

Have fun! 

Hi Peter

just tried it when its dark and it a good effect and very smooth transition

I'll modify and post back in case anybody else wants to make use of it

Thanks again

-frank

• Inquirer
  • 37 minutes ago, andyp said:

@AutoFrank

Did you finish this scene, I'd like to make use of it.

Andy

Hi @andyp

TBH, I haven't had much of a chance lately with work and some other things..

I hope to progress soon and will post back tagging yourself

-f