Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

External power for motion sensor

MDC

Question

Hello,

Someone try to put any external power to Fibaro motion sensor instead battery?

I plan to replace existing PIR sensor with Fibaro sensor. Our existing pir is cable powerd and I plan to use that cable to power Fibaro.

Thank you

Hello Mediacut, 

This is on my list of things to do, I plan on using these instructions:

Please login or register to see this link.

If you end up doing it first let us know how you get on :-)

4 hours ago, Mediacut said:

Hello,

Someone try to put any external power to Fibaro motion sensor instead battery?

I plan to replace existing PIR sensor with Fibaro sensor. Our existing pir is cable powerd and I plan to use that cable to power Fibaro.

Thank you

Hi, @Mediacut]

If you haven't purchased the  sensors yet I'd suggest you look at the aeotec/aeon MultiSensor6 as well.

It has an micro USB connector and even comes with a 2m lead. Depending on where you;re putting them there is also a flush mounting option (called a recessor)

I'm in the process of installing a dozen of these around the house and am powering them from strategically placed USB wall c=sockets like the following. It's working out very well

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by AutoFrank
  • Like 1

• Inquirer
  • @

, since i will remove all my existing PIR i have 6 wires for each that go to my technical room. In that room i have my old PARADOX alarm, and i will replace with a server PC Power supply, that has many outputs and high amperage and also i will use existing wires to power some Fibaro motion sensor and some smoke and leak sensor, and even my ipad's mini around house.

Server output power supply has this outputs:

1. 3,3V at 20A (enough for ~ 20 pcs motion sensor)

2. 5V at 18A (will be used to power 4 ipad mini, that will be mounted in wall around home)

3. 12V at 16A (enought for HC2 and for some smoke sensors and leak sensors)

I will us this because has shot protection and is made for nonstop usage, is ventilated and i can even make my own redundant system based on two mounted and a contactor. So in case one failed second auto start.

@

i'm new in Fibaro....i plan to use their modules...i'm afraid of communication issue with other modules. I never try other z-wave on this HC2, i just receive :). I found indeed a 6pc rail mount module...i need to test, but Fibaro offer a lot of parameter on their module, and that is a big + in home.

I'm using powered Fibaro sensors for a long time without any issue. I just take a regular AC to DC convertor to 12V or 24V or whatever i have around the house and inside the motion sensor i put one like this:

Works very well.  

Edited by Momos

• Inquirer
  • @Momos what is the voltage that you use on fibaro sensor?

Same as the battery 3VDC. Those little step DC-DC converters as adjustable from 0.8 up. Very cheap and long lasting.

Just saw your post: I also power some sensors from my existing paradox sensors.

Edited by Momos

• Inquirer
  • i just order few for testing.

I will try also to power from PC power supply....it has 3.3V hope not burn fibaro sensor....if burn i will use your advice.

I will come back later with test results :)

• Inquirer
  • I just test.

Fibaro motion sensor work great with 3.3V DC powered like i promise from a PC power source. :-) So if you plan to whire your fibaro sensor, ipad, raspberry pi and HC2 you cand use only 1 power source from any junk PC.

I did the same like @Mediacut, I have 2 former HP server power supplies. Made a modification to them to reduce the ventilator speed (and noise). Then I created a ring power supply through my house supplying 12V and 5V to power my sensors and led-strips. To add the Fibaro motion sensors to this power supply is a next challenge. Batteries ain't cheap anymore ;-)

• Inquirer
  • Hehe, is not about battery price, is more convenient to have all powered from same power supply. In case of faults all is down :)

• Inquirer
  • Fibaro motion sensor external power.

• Thanks 1

Followup question for this thread.

Is there anyone who have tried to give the Fibaro Multisensor 3v suply from a powersupply AND also keep a rechargeable 3v battery installed for batterybackup? Will this  damage the sensor or the battery? 

• Inquirer
  • 6 minutes ago, Stianhusevaag said:

Followup question for this thread.

Is there anyone who have tried to give the Fibaro Multisensor 3v suply from a powersupply AND also keep a rechargeable 3v battery installed for batterybackup? Will this  damage the sensor or the battery? 

Don’t try this! Battery will overcharge because you don’t have an BMS to control the charge.

If battery overcharged may explode and can burn.

8 hours ago, MDC said:

Don’t try this! Battery will overcharge because you don’t have an BMS to control the charge.

If battery overcharged may explode and can burn.

Thats what I feared.. 

Will this also be a problem if I reduce the voltage to about 2.7v or so? Will it still overcharge? 

• Inquirer
  • 6 hours ago, Stianhusevaag said:

Thats what I feared.. 

Will this also be a problem if I reduce the voltage to about 2.7v or so? Will it still overcharge? 

YES.

if you really need to try, use battery external and make some test.... :)

use a capacitor. It will power the motion sensor for quite a while.

About batt vs -rechargeable batt

some years ago @petergebruers provide at this forum article with some graph AFAIR...

long-short 

rechargeable is ok but when you use batt you have time to see how this batt discharging when you have rechargeable batt sometimes no. Now all ok and after one minute oooppss ;) I am dead 

Edited by 10der

7 hours ago, Momos said:

use a capacitor. It will power the motion sensor for quite a while.

Not a bad idéa!

How many uF do you recon i need to keep the sensor running for 2-3 days?

no idea... i have some small ones installed to fill the gap until the generator kicks in.

8 hours ago, Momos said:

no idea... i have some small ones installed to fill the gap until the generator kicks in.

I see.

Do you have the spec on thoose?

Have you tested how long they can keep the sensor alive?