Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

What is the purpose of Master / Slave?

LeeSteventon

Question

Apologies for what is probably a stupid question, but can someone please explain the purpose of the master / slave settings behind each of the devices?

I'm sure I will kick myself when someone explains it, but I can't find a simple explanation of the purpose of this and / or how one goes about using / modifying it and why.

Many thanks in advance for all and any help!

4 answers to this question

This is a simplification of the truth but "Master" represents the device as a whole, the slaves represent the different (sub) functions it offers. But then you may ask, why does a Fibaro Double Relay have three slaves? Long time ago, a device had only one function. Later, devices could have multiple functionalities. One of the slaves is the first relay for historical purposes / backward compatibility. Some old devices (technically: the ones that do not know about multichannel association) can only control that one. The other two represent S1 and S2.

• Inquirer
  • OK, so in the example of a Fibaro Motion Sensor, the sensor itself is the Master and the slaves could be its ability to detect motion, to detect temperature and so on?

Just now, LeeSteventon said:

OK, so in the example of a Fibaro Motion Sensor, the sensor itself is the Master and the slaves could be its ability to detect motion, to detect temperature and so on?

Yes. And in general, you'd only deal with the slaves.

Peter,

Can you explain when you do a soft configuration on a fibaro device, the slave tree grows form example 4 to 8 slaves.

I think thats not right, or I am wrong...?

Twan