Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

MS6 including as ID 0 or not including correctly

AutoFrank

Question

hi,

I bought a bunch of MS6 devices

Some included okay and some are proving a challenge 

I've noticed that some half include (ie I might get temp and motion but no humidity)

I also noticed that some are including as ID 0

I tried different power supplies, different cables, close to the HC2 and not so close

I tried the factory reset (hold include button down for 20 seconds) 

I just trying to figure out if I missed something or just got a bad batch

Thanks

Edited by AutoFrank

1 hour ago, robmac said:

It is interesting that people are worried about an accurate reading for lux in an automation system.

What are you all doing that needs more than when a sensor in a room reads a value it is dim or bright and something needs to happen?

Yeah, I agree. I was referring to older posts in this thread and some general remarks sprinkled on this forum. Though some people might want it to control other stuff (blinds maybe) that warrant a wider range than 1000 Lux but not necessarily better accuracy. I have limits in scripts 50 Lux and 200 Lux, plus minus. So I'm definitely not in search of high precision or better range. Recently I got bitten by the difference in dome shape. I've moved an old MultiSensor about 80 cm, so now light from a nearby lamp influences the measurement (and I need hysteresis in my code to compensate, or different levels). I guess (I say: "guess" because I didn't try) an MS6 would not have been influenced by that much, because of its flat surface. Oh. Well. Sorry for the mild thread hijack.

• Inquirer
  • 4 hours ago, petergebruers said:

Problem solved. Cleaned PCB and fiddled with the sensitivity knob. I think the sensitivity knob was the culprit. How I diagnosed: Tried sensor, FW 1.2 and 1.3 on a RazBerry and got sensor data, but no motion. Opened sensor, noticed the "out" signal of the PIR stayed low. Fiddled with potentiometer, saw red LED flash and output PIR chip OK. Then included on HC2, set p3=4 to get faster updates and p4 to 2 (it defaults to 1) to get "Sensor Binary Report" instead of "Basic Set". Voilà.

@petergebruers

Thats a good catch

I have multisensor 5 (sphere one) and it stopped reporting

I may take it apart and see if I can see anything 

Also - I never thought about using a second controller as a test jig. 

I have a Vera gathering dust and think I'll take it out of storage and have it ready

It may have helped me reach a conclusion sooner on the 3 crappy MS6 devices I just sent back... 

.. always learning...

thx -f 

• Inquirer
  • 3 hours ago, robmac said:

It is interesting that peopleyep are worried about an accurate reading for lux in an automation system.

What are you all doing that needs more than when a sensor in a room reads a value it is dim or bright and something needs to happen?

agree - I'm only interested in the low end to switch on and off light

Where I live we dont get to worry about too much sunshine often :-)

I guess most of us are not expecting high precision of light sensing. But the different products in the market (good explanation shared by peter) do yield different lux value when mounted at the same spot. As a result of the differences, we (consumers) need to 'compensate' the differences in our scenes/scripts.

Example:

My house has an aisle/walkway between living area to the bedrooms. A FGMS001 used to be place along the aisle to sense motion and brightness but it is protruding and quite aesthetically intrusive, a MS6 has now replaced it. The swap did resulted in some abnormalities on behaviours (e.g. switching on the lights when there is motion even when it is rather bright day) initially. That is when it triggered investigation and found the difference in how FGMS001 and MS6 sense light and differs in value/reading. The smart light scene/script was then adjusted to compensate for that difference. Now the scene/script works quite as well though I do miss the 'timeliness' of lux reporting of FGMS001 (another topic that can be length to mention).

• Inquirer
  • 8 hours ago, chaicka said:

I guess most of us are not expecting high precision of light sensing. But the different products in the market (good explanation shared by peter) do yield different lux value when mounted at the same spot. As a result of the differences, we (consumers) need to 'compensate' the differences in our scenes/scripts.

Example:

My house has an aisle/walkway between living area to the bedrooms. A FGMS001 used to be place along the aisle to sense motion and brightness but it is protruding and quite aesthetically intrusive, a MS6 has now replaced it. The swap did resulted in some abnormalities on behaviours (e.g. switching on the lights when there is motion even when it is rather bright day) initially. That is when it triggered investigation and found the difference in how FGMS001 and MS6 sense light and differs in value/reading. The smart light scene/script was then adjusted to compensate for that difference. Now the scene/script works quite as well though I do miss the 'timeliness' of lux reporting of FGMS001 (another topic that can be length to mention).

Hi @chaicka

I agree re the MS6 and the installation. With the recessor it is very slick. I have them in almost all rooms and they are hardly noticeable.

I've just started integrating them into my system. Would you mind sharing the code you use and if you adjusted any of the MS6 default parameters

Thanks

-f

• Inquirer
  • My replacement three arrived yesterday .. now that's what I call service !!!

I'm letting them acclimatise to the house before I try and include them to make sure they aren't nervous :-)

• Inquirer
  • On 1/19/2017 at 2:28 PM, chaicka said:

Hahahaha...what a pampered way to treat them.

Okay - first one out the box last evening and not looking good.

Tried again this morning and still the same and these half included devices are causing anomalies my system.

I left one for 30 mins and still the device inclusion wouldn't work.

I've dusted off (literally)_ my vera lite and going to try and include with that 

will keep you posted...

• Inquirer
  • 37 minutes ago, AutoFrank said:

Okay - first one out the box last evening and not looking good.

Tried again this morning and still the same and these half included devices are causing anomalies my system.

I left one for 30 mins and still the device inclusion wouldn't work.

I've dusted off (literally)_ my vera lite and going to try and include with that 

will keep you posted...

.. included first time with the vera.. took all of about 2 seconds

that leaves the HC2...

not sure where to go now with this... reluctant to take the other two out of the just to try them 

will ponder some more.. any idea ?

EDIT

Does anybody know how I could upgrade the fw to beta 1.08 

I don't have a zwave stick and only have the vera lite and the hc2

thx

Edited by AutoFrank

26 minutes ago, AutoFrank said:

(...)

EDIT

thx

If Vera doesn't offer an update, I think it is not possible. If you download the stand alone updater (from Aeon), you'll see that it's actually a sort of mini-controller software, that was slimmed down to do the firmware update. I suppose one of the files that is included with this executable (or rather, bundle of executable file & dlls) *is* or *contains* the firmware image. But even if I knew how that worked, I couldn't tell how to get that across, via a "Vera" :-(

When I read "OTA update" I thought it was a step forward from the USB updater of the old MultiSensor. But I'm not sure about that right now...

• Inquirer
  •  - 2 of the 3 successfully included with the HC2 but not without difficulty

the last one is proving difficult...

What is the parameter template number for those successfully added?

Just trying to see if Fibaro change something in the background.

• Inquirer
  • 7 hours ago, chaicka said:

What is the parameter template number for those successfully added?

Just trying to see if Fibaro change something in the background.

I downloaded the template and attached the xml  (id-0086-0002-0064-01-07-AEON Labs)

Is this what you were looking for ?

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by AutoFrank

On ‎2017‎-‎01‎-‎22 at 1:37 PM, AutoFrank said:

EDIT

thx

Hi,

Yes, there a guide here for firmware upgrade:

Please login or register to see this link.

But... I've tried to run the software on 4 different windows computers (two with Windows 10 x64, and two Windows 7 x64), but have not gotten the software to find the MS6. The software recognizes the COM ports, but it does not find the MS6. Maybe someone else have better luck with updating it than me. I have contacted Aeotech support this morning, hopefully they will answer soon.

17 minutes ago, robw said:

Hi,

But... I've tried to run the software on 4 different windows computers (two with Windows 10 x64, and two Windows 7 x64), but have not gotten the software to find the MS6. The software recognizes the COM ports, but it does not find the MS6. Maybe someone else have better luck with updating it than me. I have contacted Aeotech support this morning, hopefully they will answer soon.

I think you have missed 2 important steps from that procedure. First: "To upgrade your MultiSensor 6 using a Z-Stick or any other general Z-Wave USB Adapter:". So, for @AutoFrank - who has a no stick but a "Vera" stand alone controller, it ends there. It has to be a supported USB stick. Second issue: "Click ADD NODE. Let the controller into inclusion mode. Short press the MultiSensor 6's “Action Button”. At this stage, the MultiSensor 6 will be added to the Z-Stick's own Z-Wave network.". This step implies that you *exclude* the sensor (from Fibaro HC) first! A node can belong to one network only...

• Inquirer
  • 42 minutes ago, robw said:

Hi,

Thanks @robw

I've also tried and no luck.. Let me know how you got on with aeotec support.

I have one left and would like to try and upgrade it to see if it solves the inclusion problems I've had

-f

Thanks @petergebruers

I'm thinking about investing in a 'stick' would anyone suffice or does it have to be the aeotec stick ?

I can get this one for €40 (

) where as the aeotec one is €65.

I don't want to scrimp particularly if the comparability is uncertain

...or am I better off just going with the aeotec as it wont break the bank

thoughts ? 

Edited by AutoFrank

21 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

I think you have missed 2 important steps from that procedure. First: "To upgrade your MultiSensor 6 using a Z-Stick or any other general Z-Wave USB Adapter:". So, for @AutoFrank - who has a no stick but a "Vera" stand alone controller, it ends there. It has to be a supported USB stick. Second issue: "Click ADD NODE. Let the controller into inclusion mode. Short press the MultiSensor 6's “Action Button”. At this stage, the MultiSensor 6 will be added to the Z-Stick's own Z-Wave network.". This step implies that you *exclude* the sensor (from Fibaro HC) first! A node can belong to one network only...

Ah, ok. I thought it would upgrade directly via USB (Com port), not that it needed a Z-Stick or other USB adapter also.

16 minutes ago, AutoFrank said:

(...)

Thanks @petergebruers

I'm thinking about investing in a 'stick' would anyone suffice or does it have to be the aeotec stick ?

I can get this one for €40 (

) where as the aeotec one is €65.

(...)

Simply to avoid discussion, I bought the Z-Stick Gen5 (ZW090-C). The chips inside those Z-Wave Plus USB controllers are probably the same and they all present themselves as "UZB". That's not a typo, it reads "you zed bee"... But it's easier to convince any helpdesk when you just use the product they mention in their post (and sell themselves)... :-)

EDIT: concerning operation as a controller, Z-Wave.me and Aeon stick mentioned are the same. But The ZW090-C has a rechargeable battery, the other doesn't.

Edited by petergebruers

• Inquirer
  • 13 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

Simply to avoid discussion, I bought the Z-Stick Gen5 (ZW090-C). The chips inside those Z-Wave Plus USB controllers are probably the same and they all present themselves as "UZB". That's not a typo, it reads "you zed bee"... But it's easier to convince any helpdesk when you just use the product they mention in their post (and sell themselves)... :-)

Thanks @petergebruers

Just ordered the ZW-090C ... may even have it tomorrow

Will let people know how I get on

Thanks everybody

-f

Edited by AutoFrank

I'll go on my lunch break and buy a Z-Stick Gen 5 also.