Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

FGS-223 Dual Relay Stuck on

Dugbi

Question

Hi to all, I have been fighting with 2 FGS-223 relays for about a week now. I have finally got them to connect to the HC2 and have feed back from both switches but the contacts on the units allways pass power so they are closed. I though maybe this was a setting in the HC2 or maybe the relay itself but now Im convinced that the relay is buggered. To make things worse they are brand new out of the box. I can hear the relays clicking when switched but the contacts stay closed. Has any one experienced this.

5 answers to this question

Guest fat

What kind of load do you have connected to the relays? With the older versions of the relays they would sometimes stick if there were LED lights connected

• Inquirer
  • It runs the feed to a LCD flat panel tv and a Flouro light with a combined draw of 155watts. I just moved it to a new location closer to the HC2 running a ceiling fan and a light and still wouldn't work. So I got mad and cracked it open and cracked the relays with the back of the screw driver and now they work flawlessly. Amazing to think that Fibaro uses crap relays that stick out of the box. I have never had a problem with my Aeotec modules. I will locate these ones in an easy to get location and go back to Aeotec units. More expensive to buy two but less aggravation. Thanks for the reply.

Guest fat

If they ever stick again just try tapping on them outer casing of the module with the back of a screwdriver to free the contacts

Had the same issue

Its the fluorescent that is causing it - When they switch on there is a large inrush of current that causes an arc in the relay and fuses it.

The solution is a "snubber" - Google "snubber circuit for relay" 

Lots of electronic suppliers stock them - Just make sure you use one that is rated correctly!

I just had the same issue with the 2nd channel of my FGS-223 being stuck on after months of no problems switching my 9W LED stair lights.

I tried power cycling the unit and messing with settings including a re-initialise.

Finally out of desperation, a sharp tap on the back of the unit released the relay.

Initially, I didnt think the in-rush current for these LED lights would be a factor but now I'm not so sure.

There's only 3x 3W LED lights, each one has its own small driver.

After some research, it appears that smaller/cheaper drivers (switched mode power supplies) lack the inrush protection of higher quality drivers.

One article suggests that the inrush current of smaller drivers is typically 40-70A for 1-2 ms (at the worst time/highest point in the phase)!

Yep, that would do it!

Please login or register to see this image.

Time 5 milliseconds/division. Peak inrush is just more than 50amps for around 1.5milliseconds.
    Blue - mains 100V/division:
    Peak Yellow - input current 20amps/division

My LED stair lights were already in our house and look like first generation LED lights.

I could make a circuit to limit inrush current but I'll probably just replace them with better units.

In conclusion, be wary of cheap/small drivers for LED lights - especially multiple in the same circuit.

Please login or register to see this link.

• Like 1