Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

[HomeKit-Version] Light Sensor and Trigger

Luke11

Hi,

I would like to configure a setup where my lamps automatically swiches on if a defined brightness level is measured by the Light Sensor of the HomeKit-Version of the Fibaro Motion Sensor.

Normally this can be done by using the Light sensor as a trigger. But I was not able to configure such a setup sucessfully.

Did anyone tried to use the Light sensor of the HomeKit-Version of the Fibaro Motion Sensor sucessfully as trigger?

I configured that the lamps should be switched on if the Light sensor measures a brightness level under 100 Lux. What I experienced so far was, that even if the Light sensor measures a value that was under 100 Lux the lamps were not switched on.

Only if the brightness level was 0 Lux (absolutly dark environment) the lamps were switched on. But no other setup was sucessful.

Can the Light Sensor in the HomeKit-Version only be used for triggers that measures brightness levels of 0 Lux or did I something wrong?

Hope you can help me!

Luke11

Edited by Luke11

Hi,

I'm working on it. I will keep you informed. What app do you use?
Today were me lights on at 12 lux. I couldn't check because I was not at home. I use the app ' Home '

Kind regards

Menlo

• Topic Author
  • Hi Menlo,

I also use the "Home"-App from Matthias Hochgatterer. But I also tried the Eve-App from Elgato, the "myHome"-App and other Apps. Unfortunately it did not work with all of these apps.

I hope Fibaro will figure out what is wrong with its light sensor and provide a better trigger-support for the light sensor. Otherwise it is useless.

• 1 month later...
  • Topic Author
  • On 24.1.2017 at 8:36 PM, Menlo said:

We have to wait for a better app of Fibaro. We are to early!

Today I got confirmation from Fibaro support that illuminate triggers are indeed not possible at the moment. Here is the answer from the Fibaro support:

I can confirm, that illuminance triggers and conditions don’t work properly, they don’t work at all to be honest.

I will send it to our developers to take in on workshop. Please mind, that HomeKit protocol is on the market for not long, it is developing with time, we are making efforts to make it user friendly, but this usually take time.

Edited by Luke11

On 22-3-2017 at 8:18 PM, Luke11 said:

Today I got confirmation from Fibaro support that illuminate triggers are indeed not possible at the moment. Here is the answer from the Fibaro support:

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Topic Author
  • 26 minutes ago, Menlo said:

There is some hope with the app 'myhome' 3.3. It is possible use numeric input.

As far as I know this was also possible in previous versions of the myHome-App. I already tried it with a version where numeric input was possible.

It is also possible with the Eve-App. But unfortunately this did not solve the problem.

• 9 months later...

The only way to get triggers working for light brightness and temperature is by using the EVE app.

Both HomeKit and Fibaro app are not allowing for you to tigger on these data points.

Even the EVE app does it in a convoluted way. Would be great if at least the Fibaro team would support there own device functionality in there own app.

Perhaps in a future release of the app. No firmware update required.

Another get future app functionality would be a history log. Which I see is also a recent post.

Cheers

The key issue is that HomeKit itself does not support other attributes (lux, power metering, temperature) as triggers yet natively. Individual applications may find ways around it but without it being part of native HomeKit, there is always trade-offs and unreliability of it.

It is this that makes me conclude that HomeKit is still pretty much an infant when it comes to true Home Automation. It will take at least another 2-3 years to catch up and truly be a mature home automation platform.

Edited by chaicka

• 2 weeks later...

In 1.7.0 we will add support for temperature and lux as a triggers, i Hope you will like it (we will fix problem with ios11 automation too)

2 minutes ago, jakub.jezek said:

Finally, sensors as Trigger. It took Apple long enough.

But from my understanding the new firmware (1.7) is not yet released, isnt’ it?

1 minute ago, venom466 said:

But from my understanding the new firmware (1.7) is not yet released, isnt’ it?

No, there is

Please login or register to see this link.

Lets hope that 1.7 will be released soon.

• Topic Author
  • On 5.2.2018 at 4:32 PM, A.Socha said:

In 1.7.0 we will add support for temperature and lux as a triggers, i Hope you will like it (we will fix problem with ios11 automation too)

Fantastic news!

• 1 month later...

I am able to create triggers/automations based on lux in the fibaro app for HomeKit (I have the HomeKit version of the 3-in-1 sensor).  I can then also see the automation registered in the Home app on my iPhone/iPad.  But it never seems to fire - despite the lux level clearly rising above and below the thresholds that I have set. 

Is this still a problem with the sensor?

12 minutes ago, mhopkins62 said:

Is this still a problem with the sensor?

It's a HomeKit limitation.

Lux parameter can be a condition, but it cannot trigger itself.

You can set triggering something BECAUSE of the motion and WHEN it's below some LUX threshold but the lux change won't trigger anything itself.

Unfortunately, we can't do much about it, you can share your opinions here:

Please login or register to see this link.

The Home app shows this though - which gives the impression that it should be possible 

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by mhopkins62