Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Gate control via Relay

Pigsfoot

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help.

I am trying to work out how / if i can use a Fibaro Dual Relay Switch to open and close my gates which are controlled by a LiftMaster CB11 control board.
The control board allows the connection of a switch to open / close the gates so i'm hoping the relay can be used as that switch. Below are the details of how the gate control board and relay switch works and i was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction of what to connect where.

At the moment the gates are programmed so the leafs get to a specific point and stop, wait a while and then close. They are currently controlled by a remote and the plan is to use GEO-Fencing so when at a specific distance from the house the gates are opened.

Many Thanks

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

1 is open and 2 is closed, right? I was thinking the same with automation of BFT gate motors but with a single relay (the old ones), and it simply closes com and 1 or 2 in your case. But in my case, the BFT circuitry can start/stop an opening/closing cycle. Thats it. So you have to be there to see the door..... The gates are outside and the relay will be outside too (in a weatherproof plastic box) and i do not know for how long it will survive, taking into account the 4 seasons here - summer +40, winter - 15-20.........

In your case it can be easier, because the relay can be powered via DC power supply (i am talking about the old ones) and in that case it is OK to put through 24vdc, but according to some users here, it is not OK to power the relay with 220VAC and make it open/close a 24VDC circuit. I suppose it is not OK, but i have tested it a few times and it works, not sure for how long though... Any suggstions, guys?

• Topic Author
  • Got this working :-)

As per above diagrams, mains power in L & N. In my case this comes from main power feed into the gates controller. Then on the Relay, "In" to "Comm" on the gate controller and "O1" to "17" on the gate controller.

The system on my Gates just requires the switch to be open or closed, from there the programming on the gate controller takes over. Therefore this relay works perfectly and acts as if it was a switch on the wall or just as the remotes do. 

Only other thing that needs to be considered is the relay is either Open or Closed. Therefore the HA controller needs to close the relay automatically after a set period of time. I do this via a motion sensor in my porch but i have also been told that the relay has an auto off feature hard coded into the device.... which can be adjusted to the millisecond:

16370bb6ace571977fd85ed8c1d79fc99b145db0.jpeg

So going to look into that as that would tidy everything up massively. Unfortunately i use Smartthings so its not that straight forward.

@Pigsfoot

Which relay are you using and are you using an alternative power supply or are you simply closing the circuit to tell the controller to open the gates ?