Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Venetian Blind Motor UK

krisstoff

Hello, 

Im looking for some help in finding a suitable motor for my Venetian Blinds, I have 2 windows in each room which are around a meter wide, i'm going to need to invest in 10 motors. I am just wondering what other people in the UK are using. 

I have seen a few links for Chinese websites, most of which don't have prices on them and then don't respond to e-mails. I know a lot of people are using Somfy, but the cost is so high, ideally i don't want this project to start running into thousands. 

Has anyone got any suggestions? what motors are you using? what did you pay? are you happy with them?

Thanks in advance guys. 

• Topic Author
  • anybody? c'mon guys, i'm dying to get this part of my automation sorted out. 

Guest aj84

I too have been looking.  we have blinds from direct blinds/blinds direct all throughout the house and i would love to retrofit a motor to then automate with the fibaro blinds module but can't find anything obviously correct to motorise them

• Topic Author
  • This is the main problem with it all, i would like to be able to control both the tilt and the blind going up and down, I have a feeling I will end up having to change all of my blinds over to roller blinds (which i really don't want to do) there must be a market for it in the UK! 

• Topic Author
  • Hi @spazpeker I'm not sure on the make of the blinds, but I have taken some photos if that help? The labels inside the blind read Styleline or Dropper/Bradley's  I did not buy these blinds, it's a new build which I have moved into and the blinds are fitted throughout the 3 stories.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Guest spazpeker

ok so they are manual blinds not motorised !!

so you want to try and add a  zwave controlled motor to it ?

• Topic Author
  • yes that is correct, i'm looking for a retrofit solution. but after quite a bit of googling there are not that many companies about. so I want to know what people are using to control their blinds and if they work well. 

As for the motor i don't mind having say a mains powered motor controlled by a Fibaro Roller Shutter. 

It would be even better if the motor had z-wave incorporated and works well with a HC2. 

so all in all I'm open to suggestions. 

I've been at the last ISE (Integrated Systems Europe @ Amsterdam and will be there in 2 weeks again.

Last time I saw some manufacturers of motorized blinds controlled on Z-Wave over there, and had a chat with them.

Because I'm also personally interested in their products I will go over there again and will give you a PM about any possibilities.

To be continued!

On 24. 1. 2017 at 0:32 PM, krisstoff said:

Hello, 

Im looking for some help in finding a suitable motor for my Venetian Blinds, I have 2 windows in each room which are around a meter wide, i'm going to need to invest in 10 motors. I am just wondering what other people in the UK are using. 

I have seen a few links for Chinese websites, most of which don't have prices on them and then don't respond to e-mails. I know a lot of people are using Somfy, but the cost is so high, ideally i don't want this project to start running into thousands. 

Has anyone got any suggestions? what motors are you using? what did you pay? are you happy with them?

Thanks in advance guys. 

I personally tested engine J4WT by Somfy with Roller Shutter module. I have it also in one model for training. So far i have very good experience with it and it works also in Venetian blind mode. These engines with Fibaro modules are also installed in one exposition in National museum (exposition Noah's Ark) in Czech republic.

For Z-wave engine, i believe Somfy has 2 modules, Somfy Glydea and Somfy ZDMI. And if i remember correctly ZDMI should have a template in Fibaro. But for all supported roller modules, i would recommend to write a mail to Fibaro support ([email protected]) or

Please login or register to see this link.

Yesterday I was at the ISE 2017 and looked for z-wave controlled curtains and blinds. But the company I've seen 2 years ago wasn't there, sad enough.

But I had a talk with the Fibaro agent for the Benelux, I know him for some years now, and got some new inside information.

He told me that they have had a meeting this week with 'Luxaflex'. Luxaflex already has already motorized rollers, shutters but now they only work with the Somfy system

and that's (sad enough) not compatible with Fibaro. But.........

Luxaflex will going to make their rollers also available with Z-Wave controlled motors! The expectation is that they will be available at the end of this year.

Luxaflex is not cheap but it's a very high quality product. The website of this (Dutch) company is: 

And what also works with Fibaro is (another Dutch company :mrgreen:) called Forest 

. Search the forum for Forest you will see many projects from other members.

Cheers,

Rick

28 minutes ago, TRicky said:

Yesterday I was at the ISE 2017 and looked for z-wave controlled curtains and blinds. But the company I've seen 2 years ago wasn't there, sad enough.

But I had a talk with the Fibaro agent for the Benelux, I know him for some years now, and got some new inside information.

He told me that they have had a meeting this week with 'Luxaflex'. Luxaflex already has already motorized rollers, shutters but now they only work with the Somfy system

and that's (sad enough) not compatible with Fibaro. But.........

Luxaflex will going to make their rollers also available with Z-Wave controlled motors! The expectation is that they will be available at the end of this year.

Luxaflex is not cheap but it's a very high quality product. The website of this (Dutch) company is: 

And what also works with Fibaro is (another Dutch company :mrgreen:) called Forest 

. Search the forum for Forest you will see many projects from other members.

Cheers,

Rick

Thanks @TRicky

• 7 months later...

Just seen the topic, you could try these 

. I have looked at many variations, not somfy because with 48 windows, I wanted lower costs.

Edited by PepsiMac
    typo "somfy" for "comfy"

You might run into problems with indigogo companies that have just launched. There is always an uncertainty of them failing and not being able to refund your order. Ive run into this issue a few times already with indigogo and other crowdfunding sites...  I do like the fact that teptron had a z-wave enabled curtain system powered by solar.

The issue that I see is they're not selling from their site yet and what's available is very limited right now.  They direct you to their indigogo site.   

I'm going to keep an eye on them because they're also located in the EU and they seem to have some nice looking products.

Well noted and an area of concern for me as well. The difference I found was that they already have a bluetooth version, are an ongoing concern (to the best of my knowledge) and raised over 3 times what they asked for

I have looked at the Somfy (expensive), Coulisse (requires hacking and lacks accurate positioning), Qubino (could not get venetian blinds option to with the HC2 and HCL no matter how many setting and re-inclusions) and several others. I tried the Z-Uno but it seems a very experimental approach as about 40% of the time, instructions do not get through or are ignored and the device seems to "hang" or "sleep" even in always on mode at times and by their own admission, more than one servo per unit can be problematic. At over $50 each, I was quite disappointed with the outcome though some of the fault may be with the Arduino sketch, who knows.

My next plan, when time and location allow, is to look at the NodeMCU (ESP8266 with Wifi) or other low cost wifi enabled arduino type connected to a servo motor. Have managed to get exact positioning working from a web browser page but am challenged to set up VDs in Fibaro to send commands and receive current angle info ... any help here most gratefully received; want to avoid having to go through additional unnecessary platforms as this impacts reliability and control.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm waiting for my ordered movez since january. Thge estimated delivery was set on march. We're now in october and there is still no new estimation.....