Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Newbie Recovery after power outage

pfryan

Question

I am new to Fibaro and need some urgent advice.

We have two power outages in the last few months since we purchased the Fibaro HC2. After the first time I learnt a valuable lesson re backups so I had to go through the whole process to reset and reinstall. When the second power outage occurred I was not too concerned as I knew I had an up to date backup.

I followed the correct procedure to start the recovery process (clicking NO to the option to remove z-wave devices) but after doing this all the devices and rooms etc. are gone. I then thought that I had to reinstate the backup so I went to the backup section of the admin and selected the up to date backup. This process just kept going and going for an extremely long time (my setup only has about 12 devices). After about 30mins I refreshed the screen to only be presented with the 503 error screen.

I have done this procedure about 6 times and still get the same result. Have emptied the cache from multiple browsers but still no luck.

Can somebody tell me if I am going about this the correct way and if not tell me how. Or is the recovery process meant to reinstate from your last back-up.

Cheers

6 answers to this question

4 hours ago, pfryan said:

I am new to Fibaro and need some urgent advice.

We have two power outages in the last few months since we purchased the Fibaro HC2. After the first time I learnt a valuable lesson re backups so I had to go through the whole process to reset and reinstall. When the second power outage occurred I was not too concerned as I knew I had an up to date backup.

I followed the correct procedure to start the recovery process (clicking NO to the option to remove z-wave devices) but after doing this all the devices and rooms etc. are gone. I then thought that I had to reinstate the backup so I went to the backup section of the admin and selected the up to date backup. This process just kept going and going for an extremely long time (my setup only has about 12 devices). After about 30mins I refreshed the screen to only be presented with the 503 error screen.

I have done this procedure about 6 times and still get the same result. Have emptied the cache from multiple browsers but still no luck.

Can somebody tell me if I am going about this the correct way and if not tell me how. Or is the recovery process meant to reinstate from your last back-up.

Cheers

Greetings and wellcome to the Fibaro user powered help system .)

First i will try and list how you do proper recovery, than i can polemize  as to how could have the issue been cused.

Recovery process :

I. unplug the power cord (preferably from unit's underbelly since you need to be holding it annyways),

II. click and hold + button on back of the device,

III. plug the power cord back in whilst still holding the + button. Keep holding it untill LED in front of the unit start lighting up towards centre (HCL) or from left to right on HC2 (just listing both since it is worth noting the diffrence). Make sure to NOT hold the + button for 10s or longer as that would set unit's IP adress to static!

IV. Wait a bit, than connect to the unit (it might have gotten diffrent IP so if that is the case just use fibaro finder again) - you should see dominantly white screen with some red labled windows choose recovery of the system - this will erase all your data but since you have image of your system (its caleld backup) you should be fine.

And now comes the fun part - me guessing what the hell happened: Unit crashing due to blackout should not be such a big problem since it dose seem to have decent ability to recover. However shoudl it happen in very bad time (say during tis nightly maintenence cycle) that might be pretty damanging to the system. Damage that has high likelyhood of being fixed if you either recover your system using the above listed or power down the unit for aprox 20 minutes (this clears internal ram, requests new IP etc. basically gets fresh boot out of it). Dose not sound like it'd fix your problem thats why i opened up with restoring default steps and not this, i just devolved this into listing quickfix ideas for the future.

There are few problems that can be caused by browser but it is never related to visible devicess (even so i recommand clearing your browser's cache offten).

Right thats the extent of my skills really .) hope that anny of this is going to help you.

• Inquirer
  • Thanks Kuba13 for your response. The process you outlined for recovery is exactly how I have been doing it. That part works fine and the system comes up after refresh. The problem is from there I can see about 10 unassigned devices that are all dead and no rooms listed.

How do you go about waking up the dead devices?

After the first power outage I had to get an electrician in to reset all the devices manually (clicking the B button) as using the switch did not wake them up.

1 hour ago, pfryan said:

Thanks Kuba13 for your response. The process you outlined for recovery is exactly how I have been doing it. That part works fine and the system comes up after refresh. The problem is from there I can see about 10 unassigned devices that are all dead and no rooms listed.

How do you go about waking up the dead devices?

After the first power outage I had to get an electrician in to reset all the devices manually (clicking the B button) as using the switch did not wake them up.

PLease, post here a screenshot of what you see, if you click at your house.

• Inquirer
  • This is the home screen after running recovery mode.

Please login or register to see this attachment.