Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Home center 2 locked in a "no IP" loop

Guest FredrikKarlsson

Question

Guest FredrikKarlsson

Hi, 

I came into a problem two days ago where I stopped being able to access the controller. The IP reservation I set up for it in the router dhcp server has been working for a year now, but suddenly twice in three days it (the controller) failed to get an IP set up, and therefore I cannot access it, even locally.

The home center  seems to function correctly, as I seem to be able to add or remove z-wave devices (and getting correct responses in in the leds on the box). But, the box is dead to the world in terms of any external access.

I suspect that the issue has to do with the release time of the IP adress or something like that. My experience is that this interaction may fail sometimes. BUT, here comes the question:

1) How do I get access to a device that refuses to get an IP set up?

2) Once I've gotten access (I'm sure I will, eventually) how do I prevent this from happening again? 

- should I, for instance, restart the box once in a while by a scene, and will this then also force a clearing/restart/refresh of the whole process of IP acquisition ?

- or, should I instead set up IP as static also in the home center? If I keep the IP reservation in the router DHCP server, I guess a static IP assignment would not be a problem, right?

3 answers to this question

You could try this for queston 1

6 hours ago, FredrikKarlsson said:

Hi, 

I came into a problem two days ago where I stopped being able to access the controller. The IP reservation I set up for it in the router dhcp server has been working for a year now, but suddenly twice in three days it (the controller) failed to get an IP set up, and therefore I cannot access it, even locally.

The home center  seems to function correctly, as I seem to be able to add or remove z-wave devices (and getting correct responses in in the leds on the box). But, the box is dead to the world in terms of any external access.

I suspect that the issue has to do with the release time of the IP adress or something like that. My experience is that this interaction may fail sometimes. BUT, here comes the question:

1) How do I get access to a device that refuses to get an IP set up?

2) Once I've gotten access (I'm sure I will, eventually) how do I prevent this from happening again? 

- should I, for instance, restart the box once in a while by a scene, and will this then also force a clearing/restart/refresh of the whole process of IP acquisition ?

- or, should I instead set up IP as static also in the home center? If I keep the IP reservation in the router DHCP server, I guess a static IP assignment would not be a problem, right?

you can connect  A monitor via the vga socket under the alloy plate to the right of the network socket.

Then start it up and the boot log will show you the IP address its trying to connect to.

Why you didn't set static IP address on HC2? It is not straightforward as it should be, but with certain procedure it is possible to do it. Unfortunately I did this more than a year ago on FW 4.070 so I don't remember all details, but I know that I set settings twice and save it twice and then reboot HC2. After that it never reverted back to DHCP IP address.

Guest FredrikKarlsson
  • Inquirer
  • Thank you @Sankotronic for you input. I managed to force the controller to update its IP by changing how it connected to the router (I moved it to a different part of the network, connected by homeplug rather than Ethernet directly - somehow that did the trick..). 

For now I stay with dhcp and address reservation. Will try other options if this happens again.

Edited by FredrikKarlsson