Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

FGSD-002 Smoke Sensor System Alert

Ernstl

Question

Hi,

i bought 5 FGSD-002 in December 2016.

First all was ok with them, but now one by one they have System Alert. I tried to reset bei software, and a Hardware reset with exclusion and new inclusion. Nothing worked. I don't belive that all have Malefunction, but what can i do?

any suggestions? 

Regards

Ernstl

13 answers to this question

Try to clean them with compressor. I know that is dumb idea, but i met some projects, where this could help.

I understand that it could be a strange question but could it be something related to your house?

Strange that all 5 have problems.

Try to move them, are they on the roof? Place on the ground and test.

Change room, place it outside, check that in other different places have the same problem or not.

• Inquirer
  • They are placed in different rooms in different Floors.

Of Course i moved the First two Sensors. Tried a few days in the table, in another room...

I live in an area without industries in the neighborhood and we are all non-smokers. There ist no open Fireplace in the House, so i have no idea what could be in the House.

• Inquirer
  • On 27.1.2017 at 11:17 PM, Lode said:

Can you see something in smoke history ?

No, sorry. There is nothing to see. The only thing i found in the server protocol is that the Smoke Sensors report a timeout notification.

Forgive me my ignorance... what's a sytem alert? Is that a notification in the HC status window? I own 2xFGSD-002. They are older and they work without issues, so probably I just never saw or heard anything like that. So, which alarm is it, according to this excerpt from the manual?

The Fibaro Smoke Sensor indicates particular states as follows:
    • Fire alarm - three short beeps and visual indicator blinking red every 1,5 seconds (high priority)
    • Low battery alarm - short beep and visual indicator blinking yellow once per 50 seconds (normal priority)
    • Trouble alarm - short beep once per 50 seconds (normal priority)
    • Exceeding temperature threshold - short beep and visual indicator blinking blue once per specified time interval (parameter 31 - 10 seconds by default) (low priority)
    • Lack of Z-Wave range - short beep and visual indicator blinking violet diode once per specified time interval (parameter 32 - 30 minutes by default) (low priority)
    • Opened casing detection - short beep and visual indicator blinking white
    • Except Fire, Low battery and Trouble alarm, the other notifications are by default disabled.
    • If more than one alarm is triggered, the alarm with the highest priority is signaled.
    • Fibaro Smoke Sensor automatically cancels fire alarms sent to the main Z-Wave network main controller and associated devices as well.
    • The casing opening notification cannot be cancelled through MENU.

Edited by petergebruers

• Inquirer
  • System Alert is Alarm Type 113-9-1 (see Z-way Developer manual page 66) and means malfunction.

The handling is described in the Manual for the FGSD-002, but doesn't work for me.

Please login or register to see this link.

I don´t use a HC so my error files are different.

Edited by Ernstl

I see. I have a RaZberry, but I've never toyed with that aspect of Z-Way.

I've searched the manual "Manuals for FGSD-002 firmware 3.2 – 3.3" that you refer to and it does not contain "System Alert", unless I'm misunderstanding you. If you want me to try and help you, can you please copy the relevant information from that manual here?

When You get the alert on your Z-Way web interface, does it correspond to *any* of the alerts I asked about in post #7? You do get blips & flashes when it happens, right? Or does this alert appear in your log, "out of the blue" so to speak?

Apart from appearing in your log, what does it *do*? Cause trouble with programming logic?

You are running the latest version of Z-Way? It's "27.01.2017 v2.3.0".

BTW your spell checker seems to want you to write: "male function" throughout this topic. It's probably "malfunction".

If you are worried that these won't work in case of fire & smoke, I can recommend a can of "Smoke Detector Tester" . I use it 1x year. Works really well...

Please login or register to see this link.

• Inquirer
  • I´m not running z-Way, i´m running domoticz (v.3.5877). I found the alert description in the z-way manual when i searched the internet for some information about it. 

No, there is no blips & flashes. I configured them out in the settings, because i want only important alerts.

The alert doesn't correspond to any of your mentioned alerts.

I attached some screenshots...

in the fibaro smoke-sensor manual i found this about malfunction:

Malfunction detection

FIBARO Smoke Sensor can automatically detect a malfunction. The device performs a test every 10 seconds. If malfunction is detected (e.g. damaged smoke chamber) an intermittent sound signal will start and alarm will be sent to the Z-Wave network controller.

Once trouble alarm has been detected, it is recommended to dismount the sensor and:

• check the power source (replace battery)
    • check whether the Smoke Sensor is exposed to direct light

If a malfunction alarm is continually reported, it is recommended to replace FIBARO Smoke Sensor with new one or contact with guarantor if the product warranty is still valid.

Self-test may be triggered manually:

1. Make sure the device is powered
    2. Press and hold the B-button
    3. The visual indicator will glow white and the short alarm will sound
    4. Keep holding the B-button
    5. After 3 seconds from the first beep smoke chamber operation will be checked

Triggering fire alarm and beep mean positive result and should occur within 10 seconds. No fire alarm means that the sensor is malfunctioning.

When the self-test is triggered manually the Smoke Sensor sends control command to the Z-Wave network controller. The procedure will be performed at least as long as the B-button is not released (will be completed in up to 10 seconds after releasing the B-button).

Any service or repair must be carried out by the manufacturer. The expiry date of the device is indicated on its back.

Smoke Detector Tester is ordered...

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by Ernstl

Err, it doesn't say in that part of the manual, that it will send an alarm of type "System". It says: "alarm will be sent" and I can't check that. But hey, it seems a reasonable assumption!

Can we establish if the sensor really sends that alarm? Or is it a bug in Domoticz?

What happens if you do a manual self test?

Wouldn't it make sensor to re-enable the visual & acoustic feedback? So you can match the reporting in Domoticz to that feedback?

• Inquirer
  • Hi,

i tried different settings.

First i enabled the settings for visual and acoustic feedback. to one Smoke Sensor I set the Alarm to off by software.

Nothing happened, but the System Alarm seems to be off.

To another Smoke sensor i excluded it, turn the battery out for a day, put the battery in, did a hardware reset and connect it to my system.

The settings are standard. This sensor give a system alarm to domoticz but no lights or acoustic signals.

Hardware selftest (holding the B-Button until alert) were all ok.

14 minutes ago, Ernstl said:

Hi,

i tried different settings.

First i enabled the settings for visual and acoustic feedback. to one Smoke Sensor I set the Alarm to off by software.

Nothing happened, but the System Alarm seems to be off.

To another Smoke sensor i excluded it, turn the battery out for a day, put the battery in, did a hardware reset and connect it to my system.

The settings are standard. This sensor give a system alarm to domoticz but no lights or acoustic signals.

Hardware selftest (holding the B-Button until alert) were all ok.

I understand what you are saying. I think this is an odd mix of phenomena. The self test + absence of visual signals seem to indicate everything is OK. But domoticz registers an Alarm for on, but not the other. It's all very inconclusive. So here's what I've been thinking:

• Does the domoticz community have anything to say?
    • I would send a summary of this topic + a link to the full version to [email protected].
    • I have also thought that the Alarm might be sent out, if the Sensor had trouble communicating with domoticz. I know it sounds a bit like a paradox, how can the sensor tell "Communication failure" if it can't communicate. But it might be, and I am really thinking aloud here, that this sensor records network quality and alerts the controller at the next opportunity. I know that the older version (aka Smoke Sensor 1) was quite sensitive to quality of transmission, and it would beep in a certain pattern, sometimes driving the owners quite mad :-) The part in the manual that is relevant, is, after cursory reading, the same for FGSS-001 and FGSD-002. From the manual: "When included in the Z-Wave network, Fibaro Smoke Sensor tests the network communication. By default the procedure is performed at each temperature report depending on parameters 20 and 21 settings. In addition, Z-Wave network communication test is performed during waking up.". And: "By default sound and visual signals are disabled but you can enable it by changing values of parameters 3 and 4". And also: "The Fibaro Smoke Sensor will cancel the Z-Wave network communication alarm once it communicates with the network after manual or automatic wake up.". So in essence, the frequency of those reports would be really low, because the temp doesn't change often and the wake up is high (6 hours). So... where does this all lead to? Could it be the position in the house, the neighbouring powered nodes, or anything else that has to do with your network? For instance, if you move a sensor closer and perform a "neighbour update" on that sensor, does that change anything?