Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Privacy 'dead lock' for all HC owners !

PeGe

@Fibaro, you really p!ssed me off now.

We MUST agree with Fibaro's privacy policy or ELSE  "the services are IMPOSSIBLE TO USE"  as stated in

Please login or register to see this link.

I do not agree the way Fibaro wants to use MY personal information by forcing all customers into this 'dead lock' situation.

(With this construction, you are able to change the content stated on

at any time you like, without informing us, your paying customers.)

Well dear Fibaro, after to many, many, many 1.bugs, 2.firmware upgrade problems and 3.failing plug-ins  I'm am now completely done with Fibaro Home Center.

Edited by PeGe

I understand that you needed to get this off your chest. But because this is a user forum, I wonder if you still want to have a go at it, with some assistance from users, like me? I totally understand, if you say: "no, I'm done". BTW do you consider selling your stuff?

oh well, then just don't use id.cloud.fibaro.com, block *.fibaro.com:443 on your router and install updates only manually or leave for time of update only updatehc2.fibaro.com:443 open. For the mobile app use VPN and "home" button or "demo mode" function to skip Fibaro ID. Sure, due to the fact that all communication is now encrypted you will have no push, no sms, no email notification available (these are not showstopper, there are replacement services available), and in the future none of the other things from Fibaro ID.

1 hour ago, tinman said:

, and in the future none of the other things from Fibaro ID.

did you mean bugs? :-D

I didn't know about the restriction of push, SMS and email if doing what you said. Is it because of the VPN or the block of *.fibaro.com?

@PeGe, I absolutely understand your worries and concerns and I totally agree with You.

The trouble is.... is there a better system on the market right now?

I also have a lot of of issues with the 'new' philosophy of Fibaro, but let's have (as a example) a look at Nest (By Google) . They track your whole life every day.....

That's not any better,  or even a (much) worse solution??

The question is: You never can keep your data secure unless you set up an 'all dedicated, secured and privately' network and thus never can't use any services like Fibaro.

I have absolutely no (and I won't ever will have) any experience with Apple's Homekit but I doubt if Apple will be a good partner for your private data.... I recall some incidents about pictures from some famous peoples being hacked on Apple-sites.....

What's a good choice???

1 hour ago, TRicky said:

@PeGe, I absolutely understand your worries and concerns and I totally agree with You.

I also have a lot of of issues with the 'new' philosophy of Fibaro, but let's have (as a example) a look at Nest (By Google) . They track your whole life every day.....

What's a good choice???

this is by choice....

when i buy something i make a decision if i want something or not.

when i bought my fibaro i made a choice for: no cloud (i dumped my zipabox for that)  no google anlytics en no recording of all my home devices.. they all change that,. that's not what i signed up for!

i own a Alexa and when i bought this i know that everything will/can be recorded, and i made the decision that i can live with that

changing the gamerules is something i dispice!

when i bought my car i made the decision for: no apps, no cloud where everything is recorded

next time when i am in the garage and they tell me: sorry we are going to monitor everything what you do and where you drive to or you can not use youre car as you suppose to, they can put the car where the sun don't shine!

Edited by akatar

• Topic Author
  • @TRicky that's why I don't have a Nest and I avoid or fool Google spy engines when possible ;-)

I bought the HCL becaus I could use it 'stand alone' without anyone spying at me. Suddenly Fibaro changed rules...

Of course there is an alternative: I use Domoticz !

And I am doing so for several years now. My Netatmo, Philips Hue and Logitech Harmony are supported very well.

(Better then Fibaro plugins, allthough Harmony is now well supported with firmware 4.110)

Edited by PeGe

• Topic Author
  • On 29-1-2017 at 0:39 AM, akatar said:

this is by choice....

when i buy something i make a decision if i want something or not.

when i bought my fibaro i made a choice for: no cloud (i dumped my zipabox for that)  no google anlytics en no recording of all my home devices.. they all change that,. that's not what i signed up for!

i own a Alexa and when i bought this i know that everything will/can be recorded, and i made the decision that i can live with that

changing the gamerules is something i dispice!

when i bought my car i made the decision for: no apps, no cloud where everything is recorded

next time when i am in the garage and they tell me: sorry we are going to monitor everything what you do and where you drive to or you can not use youre car as you suppose to, they can put the car where the sun don't shine!

Good example with the car! All exactly my point;-)

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder how long will it take for more people to step out and say "no you may not use my private date for your filthy amrketing or whatever the hell you do with it, i am human being and i have rights", and how long since that point untill there is enough of such people that our voicess will be heard.

I am doing my best to avoid being used as tool for marketing but it dose get tricky around some devicess and servicess (for example Windows 10 is free sure but sooner or later there will be added caviats on how its being used, effectively turning it into spyglass into user's privacy, habbits etc. but i do want to play some games that are on it damit!). I wish all whom wish more privacy for their own and others to get some decent support on part of companies (last noticable movements happened in 2'012 but since than things are eerily quiet and i dont like things to be this quiet.

On 28-1-2017 at 8:57 PM, tinman said:

and install updates only manually

Can you please explain how you do that?

On 28-1-2017 at 1:02 PM, PeGe said:

@Fibaro, you really p!ssed me off now.

We MUST agree with Fibaro's privacy policy or ELSE  "the services are IMPOSSIBLE TO USE"  as stated in

I do not agree the way Fibaro wants to use MY personal information by forcing all customers into this 'dead lock' situation.

(With this construction, you are able to change the content stated on

at any time you like, without informing us, your paying customers.)

Well dear Fibaro, after to many, many, many 1.bugs, 2.firmware upgrade problems and 3.failing plug-ins  I'm am now completely done with Fibaro Home Center.

@PeGe, I completely share you're feelings. Personally I stopped putting any effort and time into the HC2 and started investigating other solutions. I have put a lot of time, effort and money into the HC2. The way Fibaro is going is not my way. They make a lot of promises they don't keep, don't let user to make their own choices (about what's important to them) and is completely ignoring it's users. It's all about marketing (=lying).

So, I'm also (gradually) abandon ship.

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, Lambik said:

@PeGe, I completely share you're feelings. Personally I stopped putting any effort and time into the HC2 and started investigating other solutions. I have put a lot of time, effort and money into the HC2. The way Fibaro is going is not my way. They make a lot of promises they don't keep, don't let user to make their own choices (about what's important to them) and is completely ignoring it's users. It's all about marketing (=lying).

So, I'm also (gradually) abandon ship.

I use Domoticz now and I love it!

It's free software from

with good support, it runs on a cheap Raspberry Pi with RazBerry Z-wave module (also on the cheapest Synology NAS with Aeon Gen5 Zwave usb stick) and it is sooooo much better then expensive Fibaro HCx products. Also the Philips Hue support within Domoticz is much better: With Domoticz I can switch on/off scenes. (With Fibaro plugin on HCL not possible, it does not see scenes as devices)

Fibaro is loosing their market by not listening to the paying customers. Bye bye Fibaro, the end is near....

Edited by PeGe

Guest FredrikKarlsson
    On 2017-01-28 at 11:34 PM, TRicky said:

Yes, and in case someone out there has not realized it yet, one difference between companies like Fibaro that lock you into their eco system and google is that well, even though fibaro may do malicious things to your data and your system, selling information on you is basically Googles entire business model. Sure they sell some phones too once in a while, but they sell you and your information more often.

So, while you should of course be upset by companies trying to be companies and force you into a situation where you are forced to stay a costumer (basically, a monopoly, but a legal all one, since you chose to join it) I think there are bigger fish out there. Maybe one should reconsider the services one use regularly overall, and see if they cannot be replaced by safer alternatives. 

Ease of use is of course desirable, but being a node in a bot net in 5 years or so may not be :-) 

@PeGe, I'm certainly checkout Domoticz. I'm fervent supporter of Open Source! I'm using Linux, as main OS, for more than 15 years now. Also using openBSD and several other Open Source solutions. IMHO, it's the most consistent to my personal preference.

24 minutes ago, FredrikKarlsson said:

So, while you should of course be upset by companies trying to be companies and force you into a situation where you are forced to stay a costumer (basically, a monopoly, but a legal all one, since you chose to join it) I think there are bigger fish out there. Maybe one should reconsider the services one use regularly overall, and see if they cannot be replaced by safer alternatives. 

Ease of use is of course desirable, but being a node in a bot net in 5 years or so may not be :-) 

So, because Google is worse, I have to accept all others? I don't think so. Fibaro is giving us (users) no ability to make our own choice or the ability to check what they're doing with it. It's gone to far (for me), so I made the choice to abandon.

Concerning Google, I have taken as much precautions as I'm able to. Although I realise they're always gathering data I not intent to share, I'm not naive. Just doing the best I can to stand by my personal convictions.

Just like I have my personal opinion, if other think otherwise, they free to do so. It's all about transparency and freedom of choice. How hard can that be.....