Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

All users must use same Fibaro ID ? REALLY??

PeGe

Question

Now that we are forced to use the Fibaro ID, this unique ID needs to be configured in the Smart Phones from all the users as well !

So, all Smart Phone app users login into Fibaro HCx with the same unique Fibaro ID !

I spend time to configure several user accounts in my HCL and also for configuring Access Rights per user account.

How can I use them now on the Smart Phones to have them logged in with the configured user rights?

Please someone tell me that I'm wrong or that this is a bad joke soon to be fixed by Fibaro.....

(Or is it now really the right moment to say goodby to Fibaro...?)

Edited by PeGe

9 answers to this question

2 hours ago, PeGe said:

Now that we are forced to use the Fibaro ID, this unique ID needs to be configured in the Smart Phones from all the users as well !

So, all Smart Phone app users login into Fibaro HCx with the same unique Fibaro ID !

I spend time to configure several user accounts in my HCL and also for configuring Access Rights per user account.

How can I use them now on the Smart Phones to have them logged in with the configured user rights?

Please someone tell me that I'm wrong or that this is a bad joke soon to be fixed by Fibaro.....

(Or is it now really the right moment to say goodby to Fibaro...?)

As of right now all accounts use the same Fibaro ID for remote access to your HCx.

However, you still need to enter "local" login credentials as well. The "local " credentials are what you set up with different access rights in your configuration menu. So even though you all use the same "Fibaro ID" to access your HCx remotely you can still have unique login credentials for each user.

As far as I'm concerned this setup works fine for a family, but is far from ideal if this system is used by a landlord/ multi-tenant application, vacation property, etc. because you are handing over your Fibaro ID to anyone requiring mobile access. Hopefully this gets fixed soon!

Guest FredrikKarlsson
8 hours ago, PeGe said:

I can't see what is so different with Fibaro ID. You used the previous service for remote access, right? So, what is different? Just create one for your setup and use that Fibaro ID for all users. OR you buy a router with a built in VPN server and connect through that. I would recommend the Synology ones, they are excellent and very, very easy to use.

Basically, I fail to see what is so outrageous about users connecting using one Fibaro ID. You probably used to connect through the previous remote service before in the same way, so what's different? 

2 hours ago, FredrikKarlsson said:

I can't see what is so different with Fibaro ID.

- you give an email address to others, and maybe you do not want to

- with Fibaro ID you will enter in all other Fibaro online services, like this forum, and that you do not want to give to others

Guest FredrikKarlsson
13 minutes ago, Flowy said:

- you give an email address to others, and maybe you do not want to

- with Fibaro ID you will enter in all other Fibaro online services, like this forum, and that you do not want to give to others

Yeas, ok. Though, I am sure that you are not having a RADIUS server at home so that everyone in your family has their own private user on your wifi network. I would suspect that most people on this forum is administering a house in where mostly their family lives.

And, if you need a professional setup, what is so problematic about setting up two Fibaro IDs? One for accessing your professional system, and one private (for access of personal system, and posting on this forum for instance).

Basically, it would be the same as what you are using now I suspect. One logon for the forum, one for your professional system. 

So far, not much has changed with Fibaro ID. And, with the rate of Fibaro progress on things, please don't expect fantastic new changes connected with Fibaro ID in the near future either. I for sure am not.. ;-)

the "forum example" was just.....an example.

So if needed let's see another one: request of support and bug tracking.

What if Fibaro will use the request of support to login to your HC? I mean that they must recognize you in some way and to have multiple IDs, request support with one ID to later having support for another ID maybe it will not work so much. It depends on how they will do it and believe me, today I do not trust Fibaro at all.

The real point is that there would have been other smart and professional ways to set up the login and all the rest around it. The decided solution is not one of them, unfortunately, and that's it.

Sorry that they did not ask before to the tons of good professionals there are in this forum every day, and for free.

Bad stakeholder management.

But ask yourself one simple thing: if you think nothing changed, why the did it?

Edited by Flowy

50 minutes ago, Flowy said:

But ask yourself one simple thing: if you think nothing changed, why the did it?

(while i do belive that Fib ID has been handled badly especially in the app departement, i can see that there is some potenciall, you've raised few very good points in previous comments in this thread and i do agree with the akward login situation)

on to the quoted secction:

Well this just brings me back to my assumption that Fibaro is actually conducting large scale social experiment:

gather voulenteers,

give them system that promisses everything,

than...

systemathically sabotage the system's functions pice by pice,

observe the insuing mayhem,

...err, profit i guess? XD

Right i jest offcourse but it is kinda fishy that Fibaro comes up with what appears to me as seasonal bugs (broken weather over summer, broken heating pannel over winter), it takes them so long to fix that it ends up being nasty insult in the meantime.

Fibaro ID is yet another example that whoever is calling the shots has either no clue how to interact with users or is just plain incompetent. They did announce it (which is good) but than released app like day afterwards (before annyone could actually come in grasp with how its working). I've had so manny infuriated installers calling me with "i cant join my Fibaro / the remote access is not working! etc." now our company was able to send the Fibaro ID mail in time, but we were still forced to scramble over week following the app patch - help people throu the registration and explain, patiently that its just how things are now.

Quick hint on how could it work better:

I. Either automate the process entirely (same login, password) and just let users retain illusion of it working the same way. (possibly have a separate remote login and superadmin login? i mean if you are integrating everythign under one ID than there will be problem with remote access, which serves as login to the forums, misc. servicess - at the moment quite a few instalation firms we work with have the home.fibaro account as theirs for management of units and have separate account for forums and woudl love to retain the two separate - imagine if end user woudl suddenly started posting in name of that company!)

II. Do a proper full video on how its done (no words or english) so that we can just laizily link it to customers/dealers whom are baffled... oh and release that video alongside the announcement mail, over week before actually taking the leap into new system - give people breathing room to adjust.

That is not to say that EVERYTHING is wrong about it. i do appritiate that there is proper (allbeit cloud) backup planned for the ID, i am hoping for great things from Alexa integration.... and i guess the intercom could be nice. its just baring marks of rushed release, incomplete testing and possibly incomplete developement (seriously only 1/5 features are active now?).

• Inquirer
  • 3 hours ago, FredrikKarlsson said:

I can't see what is so different with Fibaro ID.

Before this, I was able to give the users their personal logon credentials. Now, I need to type in the Fibaro ID e-mail address (which they can see as plain text in the App and I also need to type in the Fibaro ID password as well on their Smart Phone since I do not want to share this password with anyone in the world.

( Also this is a major disadvantage for professional use in hotels etc. Don't think that hotel guests are willing to hand over their phone to the reception employers so they can type in the Fibaro ID password in the App. )

Guest FredrikKarlsson
    12 minutes ago, PeGe said:

Before this, I was able to give the users their personal logon credentials. Now, I need to type in the Fibaro ID e-mail address (which they can see as plain text in the App and I also need to type in the Fibaro ID password as well on their Smart Phone since I do not want to share this password with anyone in the world.

Yes, ok, but you could actually separate your business use ID from your other IDs. I don't think Fibaro will force us to submit also DNA to make sure that one person has only one ID. Why not set up an email adress for costumer support then, and have that as your Fibaro ID for clients.

The password for that Fibaro ID does not need to be the same as the one you use to access the email. if the clients see the Fibaro ID in the App, they know exactly where to contact you when they are having troubles with the setup.

Please do whatever you like, but I think its unfair to be honest to go bananas over a very small problem, that only becomes big if you really exaggerate it. You used to have an account set up for accessing your Home centers, which the clients also used. Now you have a different one, which the clients could also use.

That you use for accessing your home setup is private, and there is just nothing stoping you from realizing this and setting up a second, private, Fibaro ID (with private email) for access to your home.

20 minutes ago, PeGe said:

( Also this is a major disadvantage for professional use in hotels etc. Don't think that hotel guests are willing to hand over their phone to the reception employers so they can type in the Fibaro ID password in the App. )

Yeah, ok, but this applies only for access to your room lights from outside of your hotel. A very narrow use case. Inside your hotel, you access the home center locally through the WiFi. No Fibaro ID required, as far as I know.

And, still, the situation is the same. In the old system, you still had to enter two identifications for access outside of the network. Now you need to enter two identifications, of which one of them will actually give the client an indication of whom to contact if it does not work.

Seeing problems or seeing solutions. This is the main issue here.

2 hours ago, Kuba13 said:

(while i do belive that Fib ID has been handled badly especially in the app departement, i can see that there is some potenciall, you've raised few very good points in previous comments in this thread and i do agree with the akward login situation)

on to the quoted secction:

Well this just brings me back to my assumption that Fibaro is actually conducting large scale social experiment:

gather voulenteers,

give them system that promisses everything,

than...

systemathically sabotage the system's functions pice by pice,

observe the insuing mayhem,

...err, profit i guess? XD

Right i jest offcourse but it is kinda fishy that Fibaro comes up with what appears to me as seasonal bugs (broken weather over summer, broken heating pannel over winter), it takes them so long to fix that it ends up being nasty insult in the meantime.

Fibaro ID is yet another example that whoever is calling the shots has either no clue how to interact with users or is just plain incompetent. They did announce it (which is good) but than released app like day afterwards (before annyone could actually come in grasp with how its working). I've had so manny infuriated installers calling me with "i cant join my Fibaro / the remote access is not working! etc." now our company was able to send the Fibaro ID mail in time, but we were still forced to scramble over week following the app patch - help people throu the registration and explain, patiently that its just how things are now.

Quick hint on how could it work better:

I. Either automate the process entirely (same login, password) and just let users retain illusion of it working the same way. (possibly have a separate remote login and superadmin login? i mean if you are integrating everythign under one ID than there will be problem with remote access, which serves as login to the forums, misc. servicess - at the moment quite a few instalation firms we work with have the home.fibaro account as theirs for management of units and have separate account for forums and woudl love to retain the two separate - imagine if end user woudl suddenly started posting in name of that company!)

II. Do a proper full video on how its done (no words or english) so that we can just laizily link it to customers/dealers whom are baffled... oh and release that video alongside the announcement mail, over week before actually taking the leap into new system - give people breathing room to adjust.

That is not to say that EVERYTHING is wrong about it. i do appritiate that there is proper (allbeit cloud) backup planned for the ID, i am hoping for great things from Alexa integration.... and i guess the intercom could be nice. its just baring marks of rushed release, incomplete testing and possibly incomplete developement (seriously only 1/5 features are active now?).

I agree with your points.

And never thought before about bugs seasonal timing.... :-o