Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

An alternative for HC2?

Unfortunately I'm not really happy with the way things are going at the moment with the ID thingy and my HC2, so I'm looking for an alternative.

I'm not interested in a complete system.

One of the reasons being is that I want to be in control, and not all of a sudden getting "forced" to do something I do not like (I know. I do not need to update.. That is... for now!)

As I have some "old" Intel NUC's here I was thinking of building my own controller and using a NUC as server for the Domotica.

Anyone here who could suggest to me what software to use?

PS: All the Domotica stuff in my house is Z-wave (Fibaro).

Edited by Guest
typo
  • Like 1

Guest FredrikKarlsson

If I were to switch from Fibaro, I'd go to back to OpenHab. It's very much DIY, but the most powerful system I've seen. 

OpenHab 2 looks very promising. Fibaro is more visually appealing, but OpenHab is by far the most flexible.

HomeAssistant seems to be the runner up here. A bit less flexible compared to OpenHab, I think, but easier to set up and get going in. Worth a look.

Did you look at Home Assistant? Has really nice presence detection and mqtt too i believe.. perhaps same as openhab but frontend is nice in polymer (fancier)

People swear up and down on Smartthings, Vera, but maybe you could see if UZB would be your cup of tea?

Its basically USB Z-Wave radio, the software you use for its controll is quite variable - some might even be free. I see quite some potenciall for this as usable platform due to its open appraoch.

I am partiall to Myxyty but last time i tried it (3ish months back) it was still in beta testing, so servers were sloooooow.

There are Rahspberry based solutions, Camera based solutions (have under or exactly 25 devicess you want to controll quite simply and need a cam? conssider StarVedia's Z-Wave solution), possibly in the future there will be (robots! - sorry GTA VC fandom took over there .) ) televisions and such...

Maybe it'd be better to get home central that is itselve a home automation bridge?

Sorry but there is just too manny options - it depends on what you prefer and how you wish to integrate in the future.

Edited by Kuba13
moving picess where they make more sense

Well, if i were an American and have to been forced to different controller than Fibaro. I would Consider

Please login or register to see this link.

with Z-Wave products made for USA. Unfortunately Control4 did not make an integration of Fibaro devices.

As an European, i would consider

with Fibaro devices as a replacement for Fibaro

But Fibaro controllers are not that bad to replace it. So i would keep them.

• Topic Author
  • Thank you all for the info.

It's not because the Fibaro box does not work. or does a bad job.

I'm not having any issues with it what so ever.

The problem for me is that they are forcing me to start using the ID login option.

As I have "rooted" my box, and after doing some digging in it I managed to kill it (for now), but I'm sure that this will be harder to do with coming updates!

Same thing for the app (Android). If I update it now, I will need to use the ID login to keep using it.

I've got 2 options.

(1). Do not update the HC2 and app anymore, or (2) start using another hardware product.

I'm looking at option 2 now.

Dnia 2.02.2017 o 13:16, Guest napisał:

Thank you all for the info.

It's not because the Fibaro box does not work. or does a bad job.

I'm not having any issues with it what so ever.

The problem for me is that they are forcing me to start using the ID login option.

As I have "rooted" my box, and after doing some digging in it I managed to kill it (for now), but I'm sure that this will be harder to do with coming updates!

Same thing for the app (Android). If I update it now, I will need to use the ID login to keep using it.

I've got 2 options.

(1). Do not update the HC2 and app anymore, or (2) start using another hardware product.

I'm looking at option 2 now.

Ahh its that familliar aproach of nagging people to update untill they do,followed by inevetable *abuse* of them by provider.

I approve of your approach and wish that whatever you will settle on will do the job just fine.

Edited by T.Konopka

• 1 year later...

I totally agree. The Fibaro HC is a nice system, but since Fibaro is forces users to connect through their server, it becomes almost useless. In the privacy statement it states that they collect data about energie usage, device state and even about temperature. With this it's very easy to see when there is nobody at home.....

Technically they can even takeover the controle of your house.

I'm looking for an other controller too.

On 6/12/2018 at 10:49 AM, tacta said:

In the privacy statement it states that they collect data about energie usage, device state and even about temperature. With this it's very easy to see when there is nobody at home.....

The statement has to include data that is created, processed and stored by the system. It is required by law to list what kind of data the system needs. Note that every system that you use most probably has the same "sensitive" data included in their statements. There's nothing to worry about. This data is needed only for the purpose that the system be operational.

Control of personal data processing

1. The User is obligated to provide full, up-to-date and true data.
    2. Every User, whose personal data are processed by the Administrator, has the right to access their data and the right to rectify, remove, limit their processing, the right to transfer the data, the right to appeal against the processing of the data based on justified interest of the Administrator. Using the authorizations determined in the paragraph above may be carried out first by changing the settings of the User's Account, and then, by sending an e-mail to the address:

with an appropriate request with providing the name and surname and electronic mail address of the User.
    3. The User has the right to issue a complaint to a supervisory body if they think that the processing of their personal data infringes on the GDPR provisions.

You have full control of your personal data - data that can lead to identify you. Note that limiting or deleting the data may lead to the system being not fully operational. Should you have any questions about data processing, please contact our Data Protection Officer at [email protected] as this person is the right source of the information about that ;)

On 6/12/2018 at 10:49 AM, tacta said:

Technically they can even takeover the controle of your house.

Ask yourself one questions - why would we want to do that? Really, there's no need to worry about. :)

Ask yourself one question - If a fibaro admin tells you to "not worry about them having full access to your house" not to worry? I'am sure you mean well but a bit of politics would sit well in this section.

But for me that plus several other issues pushed me to Home Assistant. The devices are fine though, work like a charm nothing wrong with the hardware devices. Even the gui/fibaro interface is pretty sweet. But it was slow as hell, full image stream on the small icons, username/pwd in the stream in the code of the html, no saving of icons, no backups (at the time, don't know if they fixed that) and support for non fibaro devices took ages. Not to mention the google analytics in my own privately owned device.

Now i just create a ticket/issue on github for Home Assistant, talk to people in discord have a talk and if it is a valid issue someone is bound to pick it up. Very open source, roadmap is very clear, all out in the open. Every component is stated to be local/cloud so you know if it talks to the outside world.

These days you can even hook up node-red with home assistant for automations, Gui automation triggers which is far beyond fibaro. 

That said, i'am not your average home automation user, i even tell on the home assistant forum that if your looking to switch some devices, some heating some timers and an app to do it, go with Fibaro. Just use the tool that fits you best. If your a nerd that wants to hear a message when your wife is coming home from work over your sonos speakers (including traffic time too) or when your out of the house and there is no motion in the house and both phones are away and your not walking the dog and you want your roomba to start cleaning. Even a push notification to your phone when your suppose to put out the garbage where you can press "later" when it reminds you again later until you finally say yes so you never forget. These are just some examples which i was unable to do in fibaro. 

• Like 1

Hi @riemers  and @Guest

I think we share the same experiences and feelings about Fibaro, so IMHO your questions and doubts are very valid.

First of all, I don't use the Cloud ID at all. I never changed to the forced Cloud ID email-name and password. The wizard was, I don't know if it still works, disabled by using

@tinman provided.

At the moment I'm using the HC2 solely as a Z-wave controller. I blocked google and all Fibaro services (mail/snapshots/push) and monitor internet access by using Pi-Hole on a Raspberry Pi. To gain access from the internet I use a OpenVPN connection, so a remote service, like Cloud ID is not needed any more. All my IoT devices are 'members' in a separate VLAN with IPS (done by Ubiquiti Unifi network devices), for security reasons.

I am also following the progress made by Home Assistant. When I have more time I will definitely look in to that. The

looks very promising to me. It is my first point of my Domotica bucket-list....

I tried Domoticz for a while, which works alright, but I was spending to much time to get it working the way I wanted it to work, so I abandon that. I didn't want the  same time consuming learning path, which I followed with the HC2 in the past. Again, I rather spend the time learning Home Assistant.

At the moment I have a RasPi with Node-Red and MQTT for (encrypted) communication with other controllers, like the Athom Homey. The Homey is nice for accessing all kinds of hardware and services which the Fibaro will never support. For complex structures, I think, it is to light weighted.The communication from the HC2 to the other controllers is done by sending HTTPS-commands to Node-Red, converting them to MQTT-topics. Other controllers/services can react on that. Check out my signature for further info about that.

In my setup Node-Red is very crucial. For example, the HC2 sends encrypted commands to Node-Red, converting them to MQTT topics. These topics can trigger IP-Cam snapshot and send them to my (several) Telegram bot(s) and let my Homey talk and glow. In short, I use Node Red for interaction for all kinds of devices, services and protocols. It's easy to setup, construct and monitor.

In my experience in the last past years, I find my personal preference is to use more different services/hardware. I do not want to be dependent from one system, because it will lower the point of 'no-return', like I experienced with the HC2. Also, I'm trying to use open systems, like I'm used to (I'm fervent Linux user).

Please keep us updated about your experiences, it will definitely be highly appreciated! Keep on the good work!

Edited by Lambik
    • Like 1

@Lambik , I am impressed by your setup! I encourage you to create a thread where you share how to create such home automation installation. I bet that users will be interested in this ;D

On 6/14/2018 at 4:40 PM, riemers said:

Ask yourself one question - If a fibaro admin tells you to "not worry about them having full access to your house" not to worry? I'am sure you mean well but a bit of politics would sit well in this section.

Come on, we do not have a full access to anyone's house (and we don't want to). I just wanted to draw attention to the fact that there is no possible reason that we'd want to do anything like that.

But, I completely understand the concern. Everyone want to have their installation of the system secure and private, and we want to provide such a system. GDPR is a part of it - your personal data is more secure and we want to make sure that it is.

@riemers , great post, by the way!

2 hours ago, T.Konopka said:

, I am impressed by your setup! I encourage you to create a thread where you share how to create such home automation installation. I bet that users will be interested in this ;D

I already did:  ;D

Node-Red, including installing MQTT on a Raspberry Pi, setup:

MQTT setup:

And of course check my signature for links.

@T.Konopka is there a change the HC2 will support MQTT in the (near) future?

On 6/19/2018 at 9:00 PM, Lambik said:

is there a change the HC2 will support MQTT in the (near) future?

For now, there is no roadmap for MQTT. I guess that it is because of the introduction of the new system (well, the initial failure of the release). We want to focus on delivering the stable version of the new system and then we will check which improvements can be implemented. :)

I read in several publication that there will be a stable version of the new system. When can we expect this new system and what are the improvement and new features which has ben added!?

There will be another beta before the stable version. At the moment, I cannot tell you anything about new features ;) Everything will be included in the changelog. Some of the features you can check in the changelog from 4.501

@T.Konopka; Thanks for the reply but I am missing the answer on "when can we expect" the beta and stable version. Secondly your topic with the changelog refers to the HCL and not the HC2 so where can I find a changelog for the HC2 or are items the same!?

2 minutes ago, HKrook said:

"when can we expect" the beta and stable version.

Beta was released today.

Stable version is being prepared. We aim to release it in July. We'll see how it goes.

There you have a changelog for HCL:

Here, for HC2

Yes, most of the listed items will be the same, as 503 solved issues from 501, so it sort of introduces the new OS to HC2 and reintroduces the new OS to the HCL.

@Konopka; Thank you very much for the quick reply and it is now clear to me and thanks for sharing the info, this is very helpful and looking forward receiving the stable version and I sure that many are that with me:-)

On 6/25/2018 at 3:21 PM, T.Konopka said:

For now, there iano roadmap for MQTT. 

That is a real shame as I think it is so very important,.

Do you have a roadmap for the re-introduction of user coded plugins that you ‘temporarly’ disabled  citing security concerns ?

Edited by xAPPO