Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

failed start / recovery query - HC2

AutoFrank

Question

Hi,

I rebooted my HC2 this morning and it failed to start correctly afterwards. Only the right 3 led's were lighting.

I completed the recover process (power off,  press learn button & hold,  power on, release learn button)

It went through the recover process and rebooted.

The right most three leds are working again

The z-wave light is flashing

and now the "download available" light is flashing - (I was on 4.11 but assume it has recovered a previous version)

I can't still access the HC2 web interface (about 20 mins since recovery) or do I need to wait longer ?

Is there anything else I can try besides trying the recovery process over and over again

Thanks

-frank

15 answers to this question

• Inquirer
  • 4 minutes ago, AutoFrank said:

Hi,

I rebooted my HC2 this morning and it failed to start correctly afterwards. Only the right 3 led's were lighting.

I completed the recover process (power off,  press learn button & hold,  power on, release learn button)

It went through the recover process and rebooted.

The right most three leds are working again

The z-wave light is flashing

and now the "download available" light is flashing - (I was on 4.11 but assume it has recovered a previous version)

I can't still access the HC2 web interface (about 20 mins since recovery) or do I need to wait longer ?

Is there anything else I can try besides trying the recovery process over and over again

Thanks

-frank

Okay - got in

It appears to have changed the IP address and the login is back to admin/admin

It's also has me back at v 4.03

and the worst part if that I have very little of my devices and no scenes

All my backups are there ...

I'm going to try an upgrade to 4.11 and restore one of my previous backups

If I go into back-

Keep upgrading, don't worry about the devices yet. When you're at the latest firmware, restore your latest backup. Then, after a reboot, things should look better.

• Inquirer
  • 1 minute ago, petergebruers said:

Keep upgrading, don't worry about the devices yet. When you're at the latest firmware, restore your latest backup. Then, after a reboot, things should look better.

Hi @petergebruers

Thanks - This is my first experience with the crash/recovery process which I suppose is not bad as I have the HC2 almost 2 years :-)

Upgrade seem to be working so fingers crossed...

Your config is in your database, so as long as you didn't do a "restore" after a recovery, things will have been set back to default. If you restore a config from 1/2 year ago, you'll have to use username & password as it was back then.

Your IP address can be 3 things: 1) DHCP 2) static IP (set when you restore). Or 192.168.81.1! When you see the LEDs flashing, please do not hold the "Learn Mode Button" any longer. If you hold it for too long (I think > 5 seconds), the HC2 will be set to "static IP 192.168.81.1” and you wont be able to connect to it.

• Inquirer
  • 7 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

Your config is in your database, so as long as you didn't do a "restore" after a recovery, things will have been set back to default. If you restore a config from 1/2 year ago, you'll have to use username & password as it was back then.

Your IP address can be 3 things: 1) DHCP 2) static IP (set when you restore). Or 192.168.81.1! When you see the LEDs flashing, please do not hold the "Learn Mode Button" any longer. If you hold it for too long (I think > 5 seconds), the HC2 will be set to "static IP 192.168.81.1” and you wont be able to connect to it.

Thanks @petergebruers

I'm back to 4.11 and restoring from a backup 4 days ago. (I try and do regular backups that are now proving valuable)

Not sure on the IP, It's set to static on my unifi gateway but the HC2 pulled a new ip (slightly further up in the range on the same subnet) during recovery, I can fix that later.. :-)

• Inquirer
  • 10 minutes ago, AutoFrank said:

Thanks @petergebruers

I'm back to 4.11 and restoring from a backup 4 days ago. (I try and do regular backups that are now proving valuable)

Not sure on the IP, It's set to static on my unifi gateway but the HC2 pulled a new ip (slightly further up in the range on the same subnet) during recovery, I can fix that later.. :-)

Hi @petergebruers

The restore looked like it completed buy I have no devices now, rooms re-appeared okay..

I assume its okay to try a restore again ?

Edited by AutoFrank

• Inquirer
  • 4 minutes ago, AutoFrank said:

Hi @petergebruers

The restore looked like it completed buy I have no devices now, rooms re-appeared okay..

I assume its okay to try a restore again ?

trying a reboot and clear cache first

You can run "restore" at any time. Do you mean you see no devices on the "Devices" tab, not even when you select "Show All"?

Edited by petergebruers

• Inquirer
  • 2 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

You can run "restore" at any time. Do you mean you see no devices on the "Devices" tab, not even when you select "Show All"?

Hi @petergebruers

All back now (apart from some device and scene icons) so it was either the clear cache or the reboot. I more inclined to think it was the clear cache as other parts of the Web UI were also 'funny' looking. (in home view - the rooms were there but didnt have any scenes or devices showing)

I'm just adding back in the scene changes I made from my backup source code in zerobraine so should be back 100% in about 10 mins :-)

.. and I'll do a final backup at that stage...

Thanks for the help and steady hand :-)

-frank

6 minutes ago, AutoFrank said:

Hi @petergebruers

All back now (apart from some device and scene icons) so it was either the clear cache or the reboot. I more inclined to think it was the clear cache as other parts of the Web UI were also 'funny' looking. (in home view - the rooms were there but didnt have any scenes or devices showing)

I'm just adding back in the scene changes I made from my backup source code in zerobraine so should be back 100% in about 10 mins :-)

.. and I'll do a final backup at that stage...

Thanks for the help and steady hand :-)

-frank

It could be a "clear cache" issue. The clear cache issue has been resolved a few versions back, but I think the fix only works if that is your initial version. Recovery takes you back to an old 4.X (or 3.X) and that one still has the "clear cache after upgrade" requirement. So I follow your reasoning that it's cache.

Good you had supplemental scene backup. I think it is highly recommended for anyone. Either use the Zerobrane solution or @Krikroff's toolkit. Or build your own ;-)

Now we can start wondering what crashed it like that in the first place. I'd to a "checksum verify" of your recovery drive, to begin with...

Edited by petergebruers

• Inquirer
  • 1 minute ago, petergebruers said:

It could be a "clear cache" issue. The clear cache issue has been resolved a few versions back, but the fix only works if that is your initial version. Recovery takes you back to an old 4.X (or 3.X) and that one still has the "clear cache after upgrade" requirement. So I follow your feeling that it's cache.

Good you had supplemental scene backup. I think it is highly recommended for anyone. Either use the Zerobrane solution or @Krikroff's toolkit. Or build your own ;-)

Now we can start wondering what crashed it like that in the first place. I'd to a "checksum verify" of your recovery drive, to begin with...

@petergebruers

Thanks and all working now !!

Lesson #1 - definitely the regular backup and saving the source code offline to the HC2 has proved invaluable

I'll take a look at the checksum and see if I can find other culprits... it may have been just having a bad morning.

Lesson #2 - never quick a 'quick' reboot as you are wwalking out the door to work :-)

help much appreciated

...f

• Inquirer
  • 4 hours ago, petergebruers said:

I'm glad you can keep a positive attitude. :-)

@petergebruers

anything else and I may as well pack it on a box and give it away...

.. this is meant to be fun.. sprinkled with a little frustration for balance :-)

Thx for these posts... Saved my day. Ran into same problem, and got 'Error 503' after restore following reset... After doing firmware upgrades after rest (as mentioned here!) - AND  IP reset to old fixed IP - the restore worked... pfew..

Do NOT trust the backup status of 'compatible'... This is clearly NOT the case - unless you are on SAME firmware

Edited by fja

• Inquirer
  • 2 hours ago, fja said:

Thx for these posts... Saved my day. Ran into same problem, and got 'Error 503' after restore following reset... After doing firmware upgrades after rest (as mentioned here!) - AND  IP reset to old fixed IP - the restore worked... pfew..

Do NOT trust the backup status of 'compatible'... This is clearly NOT the case - unless you are on SAME firmware

@fja

glad it worked out for you :-)