Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Installing Single Switch 2

davosian

The guide about installing Single Switch 2 (

Please login or register to see this link.

) assumes that there are three cables inside the switchbox. However, my installation is missing ground ("earth") which may be because multiple switches control the same light. My apartment is rather modern since it has been constructed in 2016. Is it possible to install the single switch 2 without a ground cable? I have seen tutorials which do so with the dimmer (

) but I did not find any information about the switch. I was thinking of bridging N and Q1 (for the dimmer they bridge N and O), but since I did not find any information on it, I did not dare to try it.

Can you give me some insight?

The "Fibaro Dimmers" are special: they support 2-wire setup and 3-wire setup. Relays don't have the 2-wire capability. So you need an extra wire... Please note that the missing wire is either "Neutral" (blue) or "Live" (brown) - it's never called "ground" or "earth". The ground or earth wire is green-yellow and is used for protection, and protection only.

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for clarifying, Peter.

I just realized that indeed not all switchboxes are wired the same even though they control the same light. One of the switchboxes is combined with a wall socked which I probably could use to connect the ground wire (green-yellow) to. The third switchbox has a more complex setup with two neutral and two live wires which makes be think that this is the "main" switchbox similar to the 3-way example here: 

6 hours ago, davosian said:

Thanks for clarifying, Peter.

I just realized that indeed not all switchboxes are wired the same even though they control the same light. One of the switchboxes is combined with a wall socked which I probably could use to connect the ground wire (green-yellow) to. The third switchbox has a more complex setup with two neutral and two live wires which makes be think that this is the "main" switchbox similar to the 3-way example here: 

Yes this is the "strap end" of a 2 way light circuit, ie two switches at different doors in the same room. You can fit your fibaro switch at the first switch where the neutrals are.

You dont need a earth wire at the box.

Your best fix here is to get a sparky to install the fibaro gear for you if you are unsure. That is the correct wiring diagram that you have quoted but you need may need a meter to work out which wire is which hence the sparky.

Go the safe way.

Guest FredrikKarlsson
    4 hours ago, Jamie mccrostie said:

Your best fix here is to get a sparky to install the fibaro gear for you if you are unsure. That is the correct wiring diagram that you have quoted but you need may need a meter to work out which wire is which hence the sparky.

And "sparky" is an electrician, I assume. ;-D

Yes, @davosian, please have an electrician install the switch for you. He/she will also be able to install a neutral where you need it, so that you can install the switch where you need it to be (not where it fits the current wiring).

• Topic Author
  • @Jamie mccrostie Sparky - now that is a great name for an electrician :)

I will most likely have a professional do the job since - as you have guessed correctly by my question - this is not something I really know how. That being said, I am trying to learn more about it which is why I am trying to figure out what should be done. Do you know of a good resource to learn about basics around smart home wiring?

Oh, and I did find the live wire - without touching it first ;)

@FredrikKarlsson @Jamie mccrostie Thanks for your help and the lesson in kiwi-speak.

I can recommend John Ward's youtube channel, especially this playlist, covering electricity basics (and a bit more ;-))...

• Topic Author
  • 5 hours ago, petergebruers said:

This is great stuff. Thanks for the tip!