Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

[VD] Network Device Monitor {v2.5} & {v2.6}

AutoFrank

Question

Hi Everyone

v 2.6 now available for users that have the SMsgH installed

Three offerings - Please read below to see which is right for you

1) WWWAPI Monitor {v1.0} - New (Mar8th) - vd that monitors only availability of the internet with option for sonos-api device. (leverages

Please login or register to see this link.

{v1.0} 

2) Network Device Monitor VD {v2.5} - vd that can monitor several + devices and has built-in alert notification options (pushover/pc2popup/hc2email/allinone)

or 

3) Network Device Monitor VD {v2.6}  - vd that can monitor several + devices and deigned to be used with the recently released 

{v1.0} 

Regards

[Autofrank]

LAN Monitor / Network Device  Monitor {v2.6} ------ to be used with Smart Message Hub {v 1.0}

Modified to to be used with Smart Message Hub

- Label check removed to simplify virtual device

4 simple steps to upgrade from v2.5 to v2.6

1. Import the new virtual device
  2. Configure your SendMsg preferences 
  3. Copy your v2.5 jsonNetwork table to v 2.6 and set UpdateData to 'true'
  4. Set UpdateData to 'false' and that's it !!

LAN Monitor / Network Device  Monitor {v2.5} ------ has built in Notification Services

The main difference between 2.0 and 2.5 are the following

• Virtual Device ONLY - ( no need for separate scene, table updates are now done through VD)
  • Global variable table is created automatically created for new users
  • Added HC2 Popup service as an extra notification option

The following features are still available

• Individual LAN devices can be marked for Alert
  • Alert Notification options configurable for HC2 email (default), pushover, or ALLINONE (@jompa68)
  • One Alert will be received when device goes offline and another when it comes back online
  • Online/Offline status is captured in global table that can be used to trigger other events
  • Debug routine called vdCheck will verify that correct quantity of vd labels and format was setup
  • Status/Error/Check feedback through the virtual device log console as visible through the Web UI 

I use this to monitor Internet, Unifi Security Gateway, HC2, Sonos API (pi), TV's, Sat Box, Apple TV, Droid Box, Alarm Panel, Alarm Gateway, Syn NAS Global cache device, Cameras, Tablets, Sonos players, Access points and phones. Alerts setup for Internet, USG, Sonos API, Access points, cameras, Sonos players, Alarm panel, alarm gateway and NAS. There are some nuances with some devices such as TV's and Phones.

Open Ports of some devices that were shared by users

• Internet google (port 80)
  • Sonos players/zone (port 1400)
  • Sonos API (port 5005 or 5006)
  • Raspberry Pi Hosting API (port 22)
  • iPhone Port (port 62078)
  • Smarter coffee maker (port 2081)
  • Smarter iKittle (port 2081)
  • Philips TV 47PFL5000 (port 1925)
  • Foscam cameras (port 88)
  • NAS Netgear U6 (port 80)
  • Global cache GC100-12 (port 21)
  • Humax FoxSat satellite receiver(port 80)
  • Apple TV Gen 3 (port 5000)
  • NPET MXQ Pro TV Box - Android 5.1 (port 7002)
  • Sony TV’s (port 80)
  • Samsung TV (port 8080)
  • Synology NAs DS415Play (port 80)
  • SPC Gateway (port 80)
  • Siemens Alarm Panel (port 443)
  • HKVision IP Camera (port 80)
  • Unifi security Gateway (port 80)
  • Unifi UniFi AC LR Access Point (port 22)
  • Samsung Galaxy S6 / S7 (port 5060)
  • Samsung Tablet (port 5060)
  • Generic Android Tablets (port 5060)
  • Airport Express and Airport Extreme (port 5009)
  • Amazon Echo Dot and Fullsize Echo (port 4070)

== INSTALLATION: Upgrading from 2.0 ==
    - Import the LAN Monitor 2.5 VD and copy in device table from Update Network Table 2.0
    - Run VD with updateData  = "true" to update the Network table (default setting is false)
    - Run VD with updateData  = "false" to operate in normal mode
    - Update notification and frequency of update options

== INSTALLATION: First Time Users ==
STEP 1  - Import the LAN Monitor 2.5 virtual device
        - Populate the device table. Device, ip, port and enter alert = "1" for device notification

- alert is user configurible per device

- alert = 1 (enable alerts - alerts sent if it goes offline or comes back online )

- alert = 0 (disable alerts for this device)

- Select the notification options 
        - Run VD with updateData  = "true" to populate the device table
        - Run VD with updateData  = "false" to operate in normal mode

Step 2 (optional) - create labels to display device status in VD
        - Create one label for each device in the global variable table, use the default ID - Label1, Label2, etc. 
        - Enter Label Names (1, 2, 3, etc) to match order order of devices in Table (devices can be skipped but ID's must match)
        - Select Main  label to display one device when observing through Web UI 
        - If you want to use all labels you can use Set vdCheck = "true" to confirm correct quantity and format of labels.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

== FILES ==

Use the version if you don't have Smart Message Hub installed

>> Network device Monitor VD {v2.5} ------------> 

Use this version if you HAVE Smart Message Hub installed

>> Network Device Monitor VD {v 2.6} -----------> 

Thanks to @jompa68 , @petergebruers , @sonnyboy and @boerremk for their input

Regards

-f

Edited by AutoFrank
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah...recognized this behavior a few hours ago...but now I am able to track Alexa's sleep-cycle ;D

• Inquirer
  • 2 minutes ago, Orgli said:

Yeah...recognized this behavior a few hours ago...but now I am able to track Alexa's sleep-cycle ;D

:D

Guest andyhud

HI @AutoFrank

Thanks so much for this. I've tried Lan Monitor 2.5 (as I dont know how to setup 2.6 yet!) and it works great.

I've actually changed the ip's in the network table devices in the main loop to some servers on the other side of the world running email on their public IP addresses (so checking ports 443 and 25 over the internet) it works great. I disabled one and Fibaro notified me! So you can use it to monitor external services too

One question, can the "IP=x.x.x.x" in the Network Table Devices be a FQDN name like "server.domain.com" instead of an IP address? I have some systems that are load balanced so would like to check the name, not a specific IP address. Is that possible?

Thanks!

Andy

Edited by andyhud

• Inquirer
  • 23 minutes ago, andyhud said:

HI @AutoFrank

Thanks so much for this. I've tried Lan Monitor 2.5 (as I dont know how to setup 2.6 yet!) and it works great.

I've actually changed the ip's in the network table devices in the main loop to some servers on the other side of the world running email on their public IP addresses (so checking ports 443 and 25 over the internet) it works great. I disabled one and Fibaro notified me! So you can use it to monitor external services too

One question, can the "IP=x.x.x.x" in the Network Table Devices be a FQDN name like "server.domain.com" instead of an IP address? I have some systems that are load balanced so would like to check the name, not a specific IP address. Is that possible?

Thanks!

Andy

Hi @andyhud

I'm glad it working out for you.

I never checked to see if the 'ping' would work with a domain name

The best thing to do is try it and see

let me know how it goes

Thanks

_f

Guest andyhud
    4 minutes ago, AutoFrank said:

Hi @andyhud

I'm glad it working out for you.

I never checked to see if the 'ping' would work with a domain name

The best thing to do is try it and see

let me know how it goes

Thanks

_f

Hey @AutoFrank

Sadly it doesnt work, it marks the endpoint as offline if you put in an FQDN.

It would be great if it could support that in a future version if you ever have time

Many thanks again for all your efforts

Andy

• Inquirer
  • 1 minute ago, andyhud said:

Hey @AutoFrank

Sadly it doesnt work, it marks the endpoint as offline if you put in an FQDN.

It would be great if it could support that in a future version if you ever have time

Many thanks again for all your efforts

Andy

Hi @andyhud, unfortunately if it didn't work then its a limitation of the lua tcp call in the HC2 and I don't have a way to get around that . It's not a true ping and relies on an open port and this is definitely a limitation.. sorry about that _f 

Guest andyhud
    Just now, AutoFrank said:

Hi @andyhud, unfortunately if it didn't work then its a limitation of the lua tcp call in the HC2 and I don't have a way to get around that . It's not a true ping and relies on an open port and this is definitely a limitation.. sorry about that _f 

No problem @AutoFrank

Totally understand, its good to know though. I'll just add the actual IP's of the endpoints to monitor instead... like you say, you dont need to add the labels to the Lan Monitor VD to watch them, just the notifications are the important bit.

Its just a shame you need to open the Notification folder in the Fibaro App (I am using a Samsung S6 Edge+ on Android) to see them. But I'm looking at the Smart Message Hub stuff to see if I can get the alerts on the lock screen of my phone? Is that possible?

Thanks!

Andy

• Inquirer
  • 24 minutes ago, andyhud said:

No problem @AutoFrank

Totally understand, its good to know though. I'll just add the actual IP's of the endpoints to monitor instead... like you say, you dont need to add the labels to the Lan Monitor VD to watch them, just the notifications are the important bit.

Its just a shame you need to open the Notification folder in the Fibaro App (I am using a Samsung S6 Edge+ on Android) to see them. But I'm looking at the Smart Message Hub stuff to see if I can get the alerts on the lock screen of my phone? Is that possible?

Thanks!

Andy

Hi @andyhud,

I use the pushover service along (

) which is free with the smart message hub and i get the notifications to lock screen on my galaxy s6

I find this very good and can see at a glance what is happening.

I also use the Smpl Logger for less important notifications that I need to check every one or two days and this keep the clutter out of my main message service

with this approach I  don't use email or popup notifications at all

pushover service when phone                      lock screen notifications                         smpl logger dump that is every 

is unlocked                                                                                                                     24 to 36 hours depending on 

frequency of entries

Is this some thing that would help ?  

Edited by AutoFrank

Guest andyhud
    10 minutes ago, AutoFrank said:

Hi @andyhud,

I use the pushover service along (

) which is free with the smart message hub and i get the notifications to lock screen on my galaxy s6

I find this very good and can see at a glance what is happening.

I also use the Smpl Logger for less important notifications that I need to check every one or two days and this keep the clutter out of my main message service

with this approach I  don't use email or popup notifications at all

pushover service when phone                      lock screen notifications                         smpl logger dump that is every 

is unlocked                                                                                                                     24 to 36 hours depending on 

frequency of entries

Is this some thing that would help ?  

Hey @AutoFrank

Yes it absolutely would help, thankyou for sharing! I did read the tutorial and it sounds pretty self explanatory and not too hard to setup...

Just out of interest why dont you use the native HC2 Push Notifications to the lock screen and you use this instead?

Like you I want to avoid email notifications (I get enough email as it is) and popups you need to launch the Fibaro App so while good, this seems better

I did setup the native HC2 Push Notifications and tested on a door sensor (just basic breached/safe) and that worked to my lock screen but its not very customisable. Is that why you use this service instead?

Trying to understand the pros/cons.

Many thanks again for your support

Andy

• Inquirer
  • 7 minutes ago, andyhud said:

Just out of interest why dont you use the native HC2 Push Notifications to the lock screen and you use this instead?

@andyhud, I found these unreliable a while back and the pushover seemed a nice simple way. When I wrote the smart message hub it all came together for me. I also like pushover as its one click when I open my phone and  I can see the full history. I also don't use them for acknowledgements which is another benefit of popup. There is a limit with the pushover but I've never hit it even when I was developing the messagehub and sending messages every couple of minutes. I've been using it for a while now and it suits what I need and it's never been down or unavailable :-)

Edited by AutoFrank

Guest andyhud
    9 minutes ago, AutoFrank said:

@andyhud, I found these unreliable a while back and the pushover seemed a nice simple way. When I wrote the smart message hub it all came together for me. I also like pushover as its one click when I open my phone and  I can see the full history. I also don't use them for acknowledgements which is another benefit of popup. There is a limit with the pushover but I've never hit it even when I was developing the messagehub and sending messages every couple of minutes. I've been using it for a while now and it suits what I need and it's never been down or unavailable :-)

@AutoFrank

Many thanks for your feedback and input, its very insightful. 

I'll give it some play and go from there.

I guess I need to implement the Smart Message Hub into a "Scene" first. I'll go through this later today if I get time

Thanks again

Andy

• Inquirer
  • 1 minute ago, andyhud said:

@AutoFrank

Many thanks for your feedback and input, its very insightful. 

I'll give it some play and go from there.

I guess I need to implement the Smart Message Hub into a "Scene" first. I'll go through this later today if I get time

Thanks again

Andy

@andyhud, glad to help. Some users have an issue creating the globals on the first run/install but there is a solution in the post. Give me a shout if you get stuck.. _f

• Inquirer
  • 5 hours ago, Sirhideo said:

My iphone port 62078 is super unstable, is there anyone has the same issue?

Hi @Sirhideo

Could you give a little information on what you mean by 'unstable' and which model of iPhone 

Some people have reported that when the iPhone goes into sleep mode, it shows offline in the lan monitor 

4 hours ago, AutoFrank said:
    4 hours ago, AutoFrank said:

Could you give a little information on what you mean by 'unstable' and which model of iPhone 

Some people have reported that when the iPhone goes into sleep mode, it shows offline in the lan monitor

Hi @AutoFrank

When I do a long ping to my iphone internal IP, it occasionally gets timed out.  It can be even 4 to 5 loops of time out before getting reply again. Also, sometimes my iphone got a long response ping time, say 500ms up to 1000ms, sometimes 1 shot of time out and get reply again.

If I ping other wireless devices the connection is very stable so therefore it is not WiFi interference issue.

There is no way (?) to ping a port so I judge that the iphone's connection by designed is quite unstable. No jailbreak applied by the way.  When I think it is a by design problem,  I would like to see if anyone here has the same issue.

When I am home, I keep getting iphone online and offline pushover message lol.  My case is even the iphone is not in sleep mode it is still like this.

Edited by Sirhideo

1 hour ago, Sirhideo said:

Hi @AutoFrank

When I do a long ping to my iphone internal IP, it occasionally gets timed out.  It can be even 4 to 5 loops of time out before getting reply again. Also, sometimes my iphone got a long response ping time, say 500ms up to 1000ms, sometimes 1 shot of time out and get reply again.

If I ping other wireless devices the connection is very stable so therefore it is not WiFi interference issue.

There is no way (?) to ping a port so I judge that the iphone's connection by designed is quite unstable. No jailbreak applied by the way.  When I think it is a by design problem,  I would like to see if anyone here has the same issue.

When I am home, I keep getting iphone online and offline pushover message lol.  My case is even the iphone is not in sleep mode it is still like this.

that's not unstable, that's designed to do that.... when it's not used for some time (minutes) is goes into sleep and switches of wifi. 

• Inquirer
  • 18 hours ago, emielstroeve said:

that's not unstable, that's designed to do that.... when it's not used for some time (minutes) is goes into sleep and switches of wifi. 

Thanks @emielstroeve

@Sirhideo

Some devices when they into sleep more power down their wifi and as such as not really suitable LAN monitor. There is no 'ping' in lua so the monitor opens a tcp socket connection.

Some iphones do it, the amazon echo also behaves this way, the galxay S7 also behaves like  this but the galaxy S6 does not 

Another nuance I found was some TV LAN ports don't switch off for 5-10 minutes after you switch off the TV 

In general (unfortunately) the LAN monitor is not really suitable as a presence detector if you are using phones as the trigger.

I use the TV (online/offline status) in our living room as the trigger to say somebody is on the room and then switch on the light when it gets dark..

could iBeacon technology help us out here? Just stick some ibeacons in your house, get the API and find a way to trigger HC2 with an event when someone enters the area.

Solves our Android problem as well ;-)

• Inquirer
  • 8 minutes ago, emielstroeve said:

could iBeacon technology help us out here? Just stick some ibeacons in your house, get the API and find a way to trigger HC2 with an event when someone enters the area.

Solves our Android problem as well ;-)

Hi @emielstroeve

That's an interesting idea..

Do you on what the range of an ibeacon is  ?

Could it also solve the "I've arrived home" problem (front gates, front door)  

Thoughts ?

_f