Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Detecting my car

moosairshad

Question

HI FRIENDS,

i am wondering whether there is a device for making my Garage open when my car is approaching it automatically

10 answers to this question

3 hours ago, moosairshad said:

HI FRIENDS,

i am wondering whether there is a device for making my Garage open when my car is approaching it automatically

i am affraid i can not take credit but there is a guide for Home Centre 2 :

if you plan on giving reputation give it to author please.

For HCL it could be bit more complicated on scenes part, and if you require actuall physical device than there are few problems:

I. HC unit gives up trying to reach device after certain ammount of tries (preventing unescessary congestion of network), you would need device that announces itselve upon getting in range of your network (that in itselve comes with problem that such behaviour would drain its batteries quite fast). Permanently powered (say binary sensor for its 12V) i am not sure if that would work or weather it'd have appritiable effect on battery of your car.

II. If you'd settle for example on remote, you would have a remote and could kinda just press button to activate (instead of trying to figure out how to utilise getting in proximity for triggering scene that opens gate, i pressume it'd be some Virtuall device triggered by err... i am guessing another scene that pases only when it is able to check for presence of said device?)

As such the only fully automated way i can think of is actually one listed above with Geo fencing from SDeath. (altho at some point in last year there was at elst one patch with problems in geo-fencing)

Hopefully this helps at least a little bit.

• Inquirer
  • I want to know whether there is a device which act as presence detector, just like one in RF devices

• Inquirer
  • no, never. i was thinking of some device along with my car or me so that when it approaches the garage, the garage automatically opens

I am not sure how to explain this so my apologies if it is conffusing.

Every single devce that is within network of Z-Wave has to communicate with controller at certain time to retain its status as alive.

Should the device not do so 3x in a row Z-Wave marks it as dead node and ceases to send it anny data that might have ben sent there, assuming the device is (incase of battery devices) depleted or otherwise inoperable. It is anti-congestion mechanism.

What you are asking for is (as far as i know, so please feel free to correct me) not possible with standard device, or really precise timing (at which point you would not need the device at all) of wake-up interval.

Closest to something sensible is using Universal binary sensor powered by 12V car's circutry and being awoken by pressing button or something because that would send out handshake to Z-Wave network. But thats still a button you'd need to press and device marked as dead node.

Hi @moosairshad,

did you think on something like this:

Please login or register to see this link.

It is proprietary wireless device but I suppose that it has some relay outputs that can be used to trigger z-wave device which in return can trigger some action and open gate with other z-wave relay device. of course it still require that you flash headlights.

guys you know all strange commercial devices in the market :mrgreen:

anyhow I'd like to know the real need of having 100 UK bucks in each car to open a garage when you could have the garage standard transmitter for much less.

Without also considering all security aspects for your garage or house, if the garage is directly connected with a door to your living room or whatever (I mean that I know the encryption of my remote controller but not the one used by other third party commercial components to be used as extra controller)

11 hours ago, moosairshad said:

no, never. i was thinking of some device along with my car or me so that when it approaches the garage, the garage automatically opens

@moosairshad

another option might be to use a small PC like a PI (any flavour) or an omega

connect via wif to network, give it a fixed IP, have it powered in the car

when the HC2 detects the IP address (and a number of other conditions are satisfied for security purposes) - open the garage door

Hi,

To be honest, I'm still using my original remote controller to open the gate and the garage door. I give that link to Edisio gate module as the one of the possibilities to the @moosairshad question. I don't want to judge other people wishes and solutions, especially not based on money spent for it. Money at the end is meant to be invested to raise quality of our family lives or to make more money and not to be kept in the bank account to be lost to the devaluation and bankers games because they always win :P 

I remember that there are some users complaining that Fibaro is advertising some solutions with their system that can't be achieved. Besides some other things it was also mentioned video where car stopping in front of the gate, flashing with headlights and gate opens. Well, as you can see this is achievable with this Edisio car module, Fibaro universal sensor, Fibaro relay module and some scripting :P It is expensive solution, no doubt on that, but if it makes someone happy and can afford it, then why not?

Also there was complaints that it is not possible to have coffee ready when you come home as presented on that commercial video. Well, I achieved that with Smarter Coffee machine, smart plug and VD script so now we can have coffee ready in the morning and when we came home, Angelina (HC2) takes care of that :) 

My plan is to install Fibaro relay modules to my gate and garage door motors but leaving possibility to use original remotes. Then I will program wall switches in my garage and hallway so I can use them to open/close gate and garage door. Next step will be to find some solution how to open them when we arrive home. Geofencing is tempting but not working with Fibaro system satisfactorily. For me even this Edisio module is very tempting but due to high price I'm still in a phase of rethinking :P 

Oh, and security is very important in this case and I plan to achieve it with some LUA scripting.

Not total automated, but a Fibaro Keyfob in your car and push the button when you are in front of the garage.