Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Somfy mylink with Fibaro Home Centre 2?

eug2000

Question

Hi all,

First post, thanks for the help in advance. I'm making preparations for installation of my home automation. It's going to be a monster. I have a HC2 and something like 19 Double switches and 34 dimmer modules! Anyway, my question was in regards to getting the Home Centre 2 to communicate with a Somfy Mylink to control my motorised blinds/curtains.

Information on the somfy mylink here: 

Please login or register to see this link.

It is essentially a WIFI device that converts commands from an IOS or android app to RTS signals. I was hoping the HC2 could send some commands via TCP/IP to it, then have it convert the commands to RTS for control of the blinds. I understand I could use a RFXCOM RFXtrx433E USB with the Home centre 2 but was hoping to avoid the additional expense.

Additionally, I was wondering if the Somfy universal interface II could be used with the HC2 

Please login or register to see this link.

It's more expensive than the RFXCOM, however I could also connect it to my legacy philips pronto gear so it might be worth the additional expense. It communicated via RS232 or RS485.

Thanks all,

Eugene.

2 answers to this question

Hi Eugene,

I did an extensive posting last year on the Somfy solution with the RFXCOM RFXtrx433E, controlled by a Raspberry Pi, which I have setup at my place.

I do sent commands from my HC2 (by means of a virtual device on the HC2) to the Raspberry Pi, which has the RFX connected to one of the USB ports. This all works flawlessly during the last year. I control in total 18 screens with this (grouped in 5 sets), and can include the Virtual Device in various scenes, and so automatically opening/closing my sun screens.

As far as I know, the Somfy universal interface is only for the US market (your link does point to Somfy-US), and the US system cannot be used in combination with Somfy RTS motors as used in Europe, as the US and European frequencies used by Somfy are different.  

As a site node: when using a RFXCom, you do need a Raspberry Pi in between, you cannot directly control the RFXCom through a HC2 USB port.

Look for my earlier posting, it gives a short manual how I did setup the system.

In case you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

Wim

• Inquirer
  • Hi Wim,

Thanks so much for your reply and the guide you have provided. Might be the only way to go. It does seem a shame that Fibaro don't provide an "out of the box" solution for the RFXCOM device, when Vera does.

On a side note, I thought that all Somfy ran on the same frequency across the globe. It seems I might be wrong (though checking the EU, AU and US website seem to suggest they are all on 433.42). Anyway, fingers crossed as I just ordered a Somfy remote from EU for use here in Aus as it was 1/3 of the price!

Once I move in (still couple of months) I'll look into the RPi and RFXCOM and post back with any q's.

Thanks again.