Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

FGD212 - startLevelIncrease provides limited use

weener

Question

The startLevelIncrease action could be very useful.

Unfortunately it seems it is only possible to dim from a given value to maximum, which to me sounds like a strange use case.

If sticking to 2 args the preferred would probably be (dim up time; end level) and assuming starting from either current value or 0.

Even better would be providing 3 arguments (dim up time; start level; end level)

I can't see that any events are sent when using this action.

The way I understand the action it is currently not usable (to me at least :) ). Any clarifications would be great since the action could be SO valuable.

Best regards,

Martin

10 answers to this question

Dnia 6.03.2017 o 21:51, weener napisał:

Unfortunately it seems it is only possible to dim from a given value to maximum, which to me sounds like a strange use case.

If sticking to 2 args the preferred would probably be (dim up time; end level) and assuming starting from either current value or 0.

Even better would be providing 3 arguments (dim up time; start level; end level)

I can't see that any events are sent when using this action.

The way I understand the action it is currently not usable (to me at least :) ). Any clarifications would be great since the action could be SO valuable.

Hello,

In software version 4.071 we introduced these commands:

- fibaro:call(ID, 'startLevelIncrease', x, y)
    - fibaro:call(ID, 'startLevelDecrease', x, y)
    - fibaro:call(ID, 'stopLevelChange')

These calls can be used to start increasing or decreasing Multilevel Switches (like Dimmer 2, RGBW or Roller Shutter 2 modules) value. 'x' and 'y' are optional parameters, used to set respectively time frame in which change should be applied and starting level. 'stopLevelChange' stops previously send action.

Does the description explain the use of the calls?

The topic has been moved from "

Please login or register to see this link.

" to "

".

Temat został przeniesiony z "

" do "

".

It is absolutely not clear how to use these functions, especially the values of x and y are mysterious. Trying different values to control a FGD212 on HC2 (4.120) I cannot find any systematics. Could anyone indicate what the units are,  x in seconds, milliseconds, ....?   Is there a relation with the parameters of FGD212

Parameter 5, The percentage of a dimming step at automatic control

Parameter 6, Time of a dimming step at automatic control

W dniu 8.03.2017 o 10:42, T.Konopka napisał:

Hello,

In software version 4.071 we introduced these commands:

Does the description explain the use of the calls?

Not at all. Can someone elaborate?

17 hours ago, tomczu said:

Not at all. Can someone elaborate?

I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. I wrote to Fibaro support 2 years and 11 months ago to the day and have never heard back from them:

Edited by amilanov

Commands startLevelIncrease and stopLevelChange (you need both) are very useful from a device perspective. They are part of the Z-Wave device specification. When you associate dimmer A with dimmer B, those commands are used to get "synchronized" dimming. Think about this: if A starts dimming and were to send every dimming step to B then that would flood your network. So instead it only sends "startLevelIncrease" when you push the button, then sends "stopLevelChange" when you release the button and sends a final level to make sure B and A are equal.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, petergebruers said:

Commands startLevelIncrease and stopLevelChange (you need both) are very useful from a device perspective. They are part of the Z-Wave device specification. When you associate dimmer A with dimmer B, those commands are used to get "synchronized" dimming. Think about this: if A starts dimming and were to send every dimming step to B then that would flood your network. So instead it only sends "startLevelIncrease" when you push the button, then sends "stopLevelChange" when you release the button and sends a final level to make sure B and A are equal.

What you are describing is how it works if you just associated the two devices.

What would be helpful in addition to this is something that we could use in LUA to minimise traffic, which I get is possible using both commands, but would be a lot easier if it was wrapped up in a single command.

Anyway, it doesn't look like the single command is coming anytime soon.