Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Fibaro Motion Sensor Triggered by turning off lights

jamietang

Question

Hi,

I have a scene where I set the motion sensor to turn on the lights when it is breached and turn off after 10 mins if there's no motion.

However, I face a problem that, whenever I try to turn off the lights manually, no matter with the switch or using the app, the motion sensor will be trigger and turn on the lights again. I'm sure it's not my movement that trigger the sensor as I've tried to turn off it outside of the room using the app, yet the motion sensor is still breach and turn on the lights again.

Anyone faced this issue before? Any solution for that?

Thanks!

15 answers to this question

54 minutes ago, jamietang said:

Hi,

I have a scene where I set the motion sensor to turn on the lights when it is breached and turn off after 10 mins if there's no motion.

However, I face a problem that, whenever I try to turn off the lights manually, no matter with the switch or using the app, the motion sensor will be trigger and turn on the lights again. I'm sure it's not my movement that trigger the sensor as I've tried to turn off it outside of the room using the app, yet the motion sensor is still breach and turn on the lights again.

Thanks!

Parameter 2 on sensor does " blind time"  try adjusting that.

Is it triggered by the cooling of the lamp? What happens if you point the sensor in another direction, or take it to another room? Mmm, actually, my first guess would be that you have another scene that turns it on...

• Inquirer
  • 15 minutes ago, Jamie mccrostie said:

Parameter 2 on sensor does " blind time"  try adjusting that.

thanks for the suggestion, will try that out. speaking of that, anyone notice that Fibaro has dramatically reduce the default blind time? does it affect the sensitivity and battery life a lot?

2 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

Is it triggered by the cooling of the lamp? What happens if you point the sensor in another direction, or take it to another room? Mmm, actually, my first guess would be that you have another scene that turns it on...

I cant figure out whether it is really trigger by the lamp, it will turn on the lights around 3 sec after I off the lights. Good suggestion to take it to another room. Will try that.

I believe I dont have any scene that turns it on... I have setup 2 scene for this. 1 is motion on, 1 is motion off. btw Peter notice that you're quite well verse in LUA, I've try to use LUA but with no success. Mind to advice how should I program the scene?

Basically what I want to do is that I have set 3 different variables, 1. Day 2. Night 3. Movie
    The motion on scene will be: if variable A = Night AND motion triggered, turn on the lights
    I have other scene to change the variable to day or movie, so that it doesnt trigger when I dont want it to.

Then for motion off scene is straightforward, lights will be off if there's no motion for 10 mins.

Is it possible to consolidate all of them into 1 LUA scene?

Thanks in advance =)

I have been planning to post something about motion sensor scene(s). I think the problem sounds simple, but it isn't, if you want it to perform exactly as you want it to. I'm not at home, and I'm not available tomorrow. Maybe on Friday.

• Inquirer
  • 27 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

I have been planning to post something about motion sensor scene(s). I think the problem sounds simple, but it isn't, if you want it to perform exactly as you want it to. I'm not at home, and I'm not available tomorrow. Maybe on Friday.

Sure no problem. I've been searching for something like that in the forum but it's not available. I believe it will benefit many others as well =)
    Thanks again for the generous help!

10 hours ago, jamietang said:

thanks for the suggestion, will try that out. speaking of that, anyone notice that Fibaro has dramatically reduce the default blind time? does it affect the sensitivity and battery life a lot?

I cant figure out whether it is really trigger by the lamp, it will turn on the lights around 3 sec after I off the lights. Good suggestion to take it to another room. Will try that.

I believe I dont have any scene that turns it on... I have setup 2 scene for this. 1 is motion on, 1 is motion off. btw Peter notice that you're quite well verse in LUA, I've try to use LUA but with no success. Mind to advice how should I program the scene?

Basically what I want to do is that I have set 3 different variables, 1. Day 2. Night 3. Movie
    The motion on scene will be: if variable A = Night AND motion triggered, turn on the lights
    I have other scene to change the variable to day or movie, so that it doesnt trigger when I dont want it to.

Then for motion off scene is straightforward, lights will be off if there's no motion for 10 mins.

Thanks in advance =)

Check out "very smart light scene"on this forum under Scenes header @Sankotronic has done all the work for you.

It has all you need ready to go, you just need to put light and sensor Id's and set up some global variables, some time settings and away you go.

It has great instructions and the ability to do many lighting functions. And you can check out how hes done parts of his code if you still want to try some coding yourself.

Edited by Jamie mccrostie

12 hours ago, jamietang said:

Hi,

Thanks!

Also if you have just fitted this, do you see the sensor trigger, (sensor light up or  icon trigger in app or GUI)?

Meaning it might not be sensor, are you sure switch settings  are set up right for rocker or push button switch type?

eg if you have pushbuttons and switch set for rockers  ....push in = turn off, release=turn back on again

A long shot but just a thought

Edited by Jamie mccrostie

11 hours ago, jamietang said:

Hi @jamietang,

My motion sensors parameters are set to default except:

parameter 2 (blind time) is set to 15 s

parameter 6 (sustain mode) is set to 30 s

parameter 40 (light intensity difference to report) is set to 40 lux

parameter 81 (LED backlight intensity) set to 1%

Above settings works just fine to control lights with:

as @Jamie mccrostie suggested already, and for time of day, sunrise and sunset and all time based events I recommend to use:

I really, totally agree with the others. If you want to learn/study an alternative: search for "GEA", a script to time and control things. The author is active on the french forum. I know both solutions, but I don't use them in production.

If you still have questions regarding Lua, feel free to ask!

• Inquirer
  • On 16/03/2017 at 0:51 PM, Jamie mccrostie said:

Check out "very smart light scene"on this forum under Scenes header @Sankotronic has done all the work for you.

It has all you need ready to go, you just need to put light and sensor Id's and set up some global variables, some time settings and away you go.

It has great instructions and the ability to do many lighting functions. And you can check out how hes done parts of his code if you still want to try some coding yourself.

I've actually read it, but dont really understand, will try to use it on a simple scene and learn from there.

On 16/03/2017 at 1:49 PM, Jamie mccrostie said:

Also if you have just fitted this, do you see the sensor trigger, (sensor light up or  icon trigger in app or GUI)?

Meaning it might not be sensor, are you sure switch settings  are set up right for rocker or push button switch type?

eg if you have pushbuttons and switch set for rockers  ....push in = turn off, release=turn back on again

A long shot but just a thought

the sensor did not trigger, the icon doesnt shows anything. I'm using rocker switch. quite standard setup, i have 8 rooms here but dont know why 2 of the room have this problem.

On 16/03/2017 at 5:27 PM, Sankotronic said:

Hi @jamietang,

My motion sensors parameters are set to default except:

parameter 2 (blind time) is set to 15 s

parameter 6 (sustain mode) is set to 30 s

parameter 40 (light intensity difference to report) is set to 40 lux

parameter 81 (LED backlight intensity) set to 1%

Above settings works just fine to control lights with:

as @Jamie mccrostie suggested already, and for time of day, sunrise and sunset and all time based events I recommend to use:

I've try to adjust the parameters according to your suggestion, but just abit different.  I use
    parameter 2 = 8   (btw 1 question, the explanation for parameter 2 says that the time is 0.5+ (x+1)/2, means that if I put 8 the blind time will be 4 sec, 15 = 7.5 sec?
    parameter 6 = 10 sec
    Parameter 40 = default

parameter 81 = 1%

This setting seems to solve the previous problem. However there's no problem that Im facing now. I have about 20 sensors across the whole place.

Previously room 1 & 2 sensor got problem as mention in first thread. Now the problem I have is that another 2 sensor will keep showing breach after 10sec, but there's totally no movement.

I tried to take out the battery and put it back, yet it is still the same. I try not to delete and add it back since I have few scenes with the sensor. but probably will do it tmr if it still doenst work.

Not sure why there's so much problem recently. btw I'm using 4.110. I have also another problem about Swipe, which maybe I should create another thread.
    I have set my swipe:
    swipe up = run a scene that turn on 3 lights in sequence, I add 1 sec delay in between each

swipe down = same with above but turning off all 3 lights

it supposed to turn on lights 1, then lights 2 after 1 sec, and lights 3 2 sec later.

The problem is that, it is not consistent enough, sometimes it works fine, but sometimes, it will turn on lights 1, then after 2 sec turn on both together. that's fine.
    sometimes it will turn on 1&2 as normaly, but it takes 10 sec to turn on lights 3, or even not turning it on at all.

anyone face this problem before?

@jamietang yes I guess you have to try excluding and reincluding re sensors if they are not triggering

do it beside the HC

Re Very smart lights, 

yes a bit going on but just break it in to parts and work thru it 

there is a lot there you won't use

i think @Sankotronic has a slimmed up version coming 

1 minute ago, Jamie mccrostie said:

If I call it Very Simple Light™ scene it will still be VSL scene? Must find some other name ;) 

2 minutes ago, Sankotronic said:

If I call it Very Simple Light™ scene it will still be VSL scene? Must find some other name ;) 

ESLS

extremely  simply light scene

• Inquirer
  • On 3/21/2017 at 2:47 AM, Jamie mccrostie said:

@jamietang yes I guess you have to try excluding and reincluding re sensors if they are not triggering

do it beside the HC

Re Very smart lights, 

yes a bit going on but just break it in to parts and work thru it 

there is a lot there you won't use

it works fine now after exclude and include. thanks guys for the advice. it seems to be some kind of bug..

will try with the VSL..

• Inquirer
  • just an update, I've change my settings to:

parameter 2 =15
    parameter 6 = 30 sec

after that most sensors are working fine now except 1 of it. After detecting motion, the sensor will show breach as normal, however, even though there's no motion after that, the sensor will still blink and show breach every 10 sec. It will repeats for about 5mins before it finally go to sleep. I did try to exclude and include, but it's still the same.

I was adviced to send it back for warranty. It seems weird to me as it was working fine before I tweak any settings.